Some help pls

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by henrysugar, Apr 6, 2008.

1. henrysugar

henrysugar Regular Member

Im 13, I have not really made much progress in this game. i play for my school and i am one of the better players:crying::)

I am not fit, i cant even do one pushup! i need help on my fitness and 'pronation' and stuff like that. im not fat.i think im doing pushups the wrong way, i feel immense pain in my stomach when i try to do push ups.

Whenver an opponent hits the bird high and far , ( like it lands further of me. i have to go back and hit it) i am very bad at this. i usually jump back and loft the ball. the shot is not convincing and the its easy for the oppnent.)

I dont have much access to stuff like coaches, gyms . i need home workouts and i also have a cycle.

my talents are my quick reaction, and i can play net game very well.i can defend smashes even from the captain of my team. ( good reaction )
    i also do not know how to smash and i think i have poor footwork

#1 henrysugar, Apr 6, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I get it.. you just need to be fit. When I was in sec1 in Singapore, I came 1st in my year group in the whole-school mass-run day, 5km running.. Maybe you guys dont get much excercise apart from the usual mass-run thing which is done by most secondary schools in Singapore.
    I couldn't do a single push-up when I was 13 either, but now I can do about 50-70. And so can you! All you need is the determination to be fit :).

"Nothing is impossible" - Adidas :D

Well here's what I did..
    I started off from doing 10 girl-push ups on my knees.. remember to keep your back straight, it's easier with your back straight.
    Just keep doing more until it becomes really easy.. then start doing proper push-ups on your toes, and remember to keep your back and legs straight..
    etc..

You just need the determination to improve.

3. henrysugar

whats girl push ups ?

btw, what school u from?

4. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    Girl pushups mean that instead of using only your feet and hands to go down and up, your knees can touch the floor. It makes it easier as you're pushing up much less weight.

GL man. Wish I started badminton at 13 ;p

5. bry172

bry172 Regular Member

ur stomach is hurting because u dont have enough core strength( abs and muscles around there. start by doing planks and stuff like that. like do the push up postion(at the top) and just hold it. once u get better go down to ur elbows make sure ur whole body is always straight and off the ground when u do it

6. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

here are various shots that you can train for.
    I can understand you are not fit. so you should start healthy living with eating healthy foods. the best way is to participate in your physical education class, go bike riding and basically sweat a lot. also because doing all that you should start working footwork. footwork is the basis of each shot and stroke made in badminton.

1. Footwork
    2. Overhead forehand clears
    3. Forehand drives
    4. Backhand drives
    5. Defensive shots in returning a smash (defensive drop, defensive clear and defensive crosscourt drive)
    6. Tight Net drops (whether it's crosscourt or just straight over)
    7. Overhead Drops
    8. Backhand drops
    9. Serves
    10. Smash
    11. Body bending overhead shots (when you arc your side for a shot as an alternative to the backhand)
    12. Net kill
    13. Back hand clears
    14. Back hand smash
    15. Jump Smash
    16. For fun, the diving defensive shot... (it's always good to be prepared for the unprepared):D where i throw my body out for the extra reach of a drop shot/wide smash/drives
    good luck, i hope you'll have much success

7. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Girl push-ups are basicly push-ups/press-ups on your knees instead of your toes. This is called by some people as the 'girl-push/press ups' because it's just easier. Shorter distance = less energy needed to push yourself up.. W=E=FD.

I used to go to Woodgrove Secondary School in Woodlands, but I am now in NewZealand.. :)

8. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    you don't need to go to th gym to get fit. i don't, and i'm doing fine. just walking up the stairs to your apartment instead of taking the elevator is a start. go for a run around the block, or do skipping at home.

9. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

You do realise, walking 40m to the nearest mall is like hell in Singapore ? It's too hot and humid.. :crying:

Skipping at home wouldn't be a good idea, because..
    1) the floor is very very very hard (marble) and it can hurt your feet if you're not wearing shoes..
    2) jumping can disturb the people who lives one level below..
    3) the skipping rope may hit the ceiling fan..
    4) If he lives in a condo, then there's not much space to do that either..

Swimming is a pretty good excercise too.. if he lives in a condo.. im pretty sure there's a swimming pool for him to swim in..

i lost quite alot of weight from swimming.. about 3kgs.

10. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    wearing socks solves 1 and 2. you can shorten the rope, or just turn the fan off for a while. i know, it's really hard, but you can't just complain it's hard and leave it at that. there will always be a way to get fit. one i really like, is to jump in bed and chuck a blanket on, and keep kicking your feet up and down till you get tired. good for stamina and leg and core strength.

be innovative. i'm pretty sure there are many ways to get exercise with out going to the gym

11. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

henrysugar, your school makes you do the 'mass-run' thing everyweek like any other Singapoean school, right ? Then when you do it.. push yourself to the limit.. try finish first if possible.. it's not that hard because it's only 1.5km - 3.0km in most cases.

Also in your physical education class, you could also try to push yourself to the limit.. you'll only improve.

Although you have a bicycle, it's not too helpful because most places in Singapore are just flat plains, no mountains.. so it doesn't really help you much with excercising your quads, but still... you can ride your bicycle instead of *maybe* using the computer to play online games like most people that age around 12-14.
    I gained quite alot of weight when I started getting addicted to this online game called 'Gunbound'.. and once I quitted after playing for nearly 3 years, I had time to excercise and lose weight.. and also time to study as well.

What else is there..
    You could do squats at home. Maybe start off at 30times a day, and do 10 more each day..

Here's another easy way of doing press-ups. Keep your hands on the floor but put your legs on a bed, with your knees probably at the edge of the bed and start doing press-ups. This is like the girl-press-ups but just another way of doing it.

12. henrysugar

thanks jhirata , u helped me a lot. i have tried to 60 wall push ups and hour and its getting easier each day.i did 70 just now. i'll try girl push ups now.

can anyone teach me how to play to this type of shot - The opponent hits the bird hard and its going behind me,i am VERY BAD AT THIS. i cannot go back quickly and play a good smash back. Opponent takes advantage of this and usually taps the ball and i LOSE !!! My racket is cheapskate , $9.90
    and it since it is low tension ( it is written there " low tension steel shaft")
    i find it hard to use. Which racket should i buy? budget about $100, can exceed if needed.

"ur stomach is hurting because u dont have enough core strength( abs and muscles around there. start by doing planks and stuff like that. like do the push up postion(at the top) and just hold it. once u get better go down to ur elbows make sure ur whole body is always straight and off the ground when u do it"

What do u mean bry1712? Please explain it to me.

13. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    henry, the only way to solve that problem is to get back fast enough to play the shot above and in front of you. that is assuming it was a lift. when you say the opponent hits it hard, does it go flat? or high up? how high? head height above the net? or 2-3 metres above the net?

any full carbon graphite racquet will do. it doesn't even matter what brand it is. just make sure there's no external "T-joint" between the racquet head and the shaft. it should be a one piece racquet.

14. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Yup.. here are my reccomendations...

Yonex Isometric 75MF
    Yonex MusclePower29LT or any other low-end mucle-power racquet.

Hehe.. after reading this thread, I realised that I also needed to do some more excercise.. 40press-ups x2 for now, but I'm going to try to do 10more each day..

15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    You'll need to play more with your friends and ask them how the do it. if you have a coach there or someone who can guide you, it'll be better.

If you stay at Yishun, you are welcome to get some tips from me. Chong Pang CC 7.30pm. Or Xishan Primary School.

16. henrysugar

which day and time on xishan school

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    xishan days are a bit erratic now days because of the teachers mood of messing up the schedules. Try Chong Pang CC 7.30pm then. There's a coach as well. Ask for Wong, he can give you good tips. Nice fellow.

18. henrysugar

i cant on tuesdays, my own badminton cca ends at 6.30.
    another day please!

anyone recommend me please. i live near north

19. kubuk

kubuk Regular Member

Student

Actually, Adidas quote is Impossible is Nothing. =D

I can do about 30 push ups when I was 7. I don't do it very often yet I am able to do that much. I wonder, why pain in the stomachs? Do you mean sit ups instead cause if it was for push ups, it should be pain in the arms instead. Just keep trying, arm muscle aren't the most important muscles in badminton.. your legs are.

20. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Oh well, impossible = nothing, then nothing = impossbile :p

And at our level, power isn't that important either.. we dont need to try to smash like FHF, but we need good footwork like Peter Gade, good stroke technique ( power comes from this anyway ), good precision and consistency.

And yay for me.. 100 press ups a day now, but I just do 30-40, relax for like a minute, then do another 30-40.. then again. Oh well.. this thread has motivated me to get off my lazy-butt :D

Here's a good way to train all the muscles in your body.. use the rowing machine. I'm not sure whether they have it in schools in Singapore except for the big schools like Raffles Institute and ACS, but you can try.. if there's one at your school.