How many grip is on your racquet and why?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by veasana, Apr 8, 2008.

1. veasana

veasana Regular Member

student
    Hi, I just want it to know how many grip is on your racquet an why? When I play or even see international players, they use like 4 grips on a racquet and there handle look very big. For me, I use a yonex armortec 900T G3 with 2 overgrips because when the handle is bigger, I feel more power on my shot and more control then when it is tinner (sorry for my bad english, I hope that you will understand XD)

2. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Well,i guess that really depends on what kind of player u are.If u are an offensive player who seek for power,then the thinner ur grip,the heavier the head.For example:Lin Dan.He only uses a single layer of towel grip to wrap3/4 of his racket grip.

It's true that some player would find it more comfortable playing with a thicker grip.So,if u r a player who seek for more control n speed in swing,then thick grip would help u,since it'll make the head lighter..but then,u'll lose some power in ur strokes..

I normally use a single to double layer.Single layer of a thick replacement grip,or double layer(original grip,plus a layer of overgrip).

3. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I put 1 layer of overgrip over the original grip on a G5 racquet and 2 layers of overgrip on a G4 without the original grip. Thick grips are just disgusting.. yes, it feels like you're getting more power out of it, but I get less control and precision.. when it's too thin, i dont care much about it because.. good control = i can own people easily and if it's in between thick and thin, then it's the perfect combination of power and control.

4. Makunouchi

Makunouchi Regular Member

Badminton Addict
    In my case... I put an over grip and then towel grip on top of it. I just dont like the original grip being ruined by the towel grip. I also like a thicker handle but bot too much.

5. r7msia

r7msia Regular Member

I felt the other way. When the grip too thick I felt lost of power and no control. G4 with single layer overgrip is perfect for me. If G5, I'll put 2-3 layer of black tape before applying overgrip.

6. jump17

jump17 Regular Member

i use a single layer of towel grip over the original grip for my main rackets. for others, i just add a single layer of supergrap over the original grip.

7. riz125

riz125 Regular Member

Student
    i think like rackets grips r personal preferance too. cas if you think abt it majority of the pros love towel grips + as u said some has like 3-4 grips one on top of another. personally i like karakal suppertacky grip.they are nice N thick as well as very soft + its nice N tacky as well on the hands which makes it easier to keep control of the racket. personally 1 grip is enough for me.

8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    i use 2 yonex overgrips on a yonex G5 handle. It's big and has good cushioning.

9. Hierkommtnils

Hierkommtnils Regular Member

Fin. Controller
    I use 2 Yonex overgrips (white) over the basic grip of my G5 racket, so it is still not very big.

10. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Yes, and G4 with two layers of overgrip still isn't as thick as a G3 with the original grip.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    for me, thick grip restricts my stroke range.

12. kitseb

kitseb Regular Member

Consultant
    I agree with Cooler, I use 2 grips, because they fit my hand size.

As for making the head more head heavy if you have less grips, I would agree with this if you were holding the racket on the shaft or balancing it on the shaft, but when you play with the racket the pivot point is the handle. Adding more weight at the pivot does not increase the moment (= distance from the pivot point x weight). So, therefore the racket balance (HH/HL) shouldn't change much when playing - of course the racket may still feel heavier overall because you have added extra weight. :)

Same logic will apply to adding weight to the head - a small weight gain will have a significant affect as the distance from the head of the racket to the handle is relatively large.

13. coley

coley Regular Member

engineer
    i think it defienty comes down to personal preferance, and the size of your hands. i currently use a tightly wrapped karakal pu super over the original grip plus a yonex overgrip on top of that, ive found this to be the best combination for me on my at700 3u g3, but as i said everyones different!

14. kubuk

kubuk Regular Member

Student
    I use 3 layers of grips. The original grip overlayed with the replacement grip and lastly an overgrip. I prefer bigger handles lol.

15. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

That's like.. a G1 sized grip :D

16. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    i only use 2 super graps on my racquet, i take off the origional put one used supergrap on and then put a new one ontop of that and then thats what i use. My racquets are usually g3 in grip size before, i just really dont like the origional grip plus i can make the butt of the racquet nice and big when i remove the origional grip and apply the used overgrip as well as tape, etc.