How do you pick a shuttle on the court floor?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Bombshell, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Bombshell

Bombshell Regular Member

student
    You know how lots of people can just scoop a bird off the ground with the tip of their racquet? Well, I've been playing for three years. Three years! You'd think I'd have learned how to do that simple little trick. Yet I haven't. How on earth is it done? It's such a pain sometimes to have to bend all the way down to pick up the bird by hand...

2. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Re: Scooping up a shuttle w/ racquet?

u gotta b fast! lol, take a few minutes to do it every time before u play badminton... say 20-30 scoops, and have someone show it to u... u can get it within a week, at least it did for me (but I was practicing during games so it kinda pissed a few pplz off :D)

3. Bombshell

Bombshell Regular Member

student
    Lol. Thanks. Yeah, I think that's what happens to me most of the time. During rallies and stuff I try to scoop up the bird a lot with my racquet and people get annoyed at my futile little attempts, wanting to get on with the rally.

4. AzNbOi2747

AzNbOi2747 Regular Member

Student
    lol i learned it in a few days and im only a little kid:D :p

5. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

You just hook underneath the bird fast. Basically you have to pick up the bird by the cork.

Just keep trying, you'll get it :)

6. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

what the? you guys scoop it up fast? i do it pretty slowly with one smooth motion. I dont even really touch the floor when i pick up the bird. you can throw the bird on the street and i can still pick it up w/o scratching. Just practice at home or something, on carpet. That's what i did and it worked out pretty well for me.

7. sharkboy

sharkboy Regular Member

student
    i would pick it up with my racqet

but scratching is one thing, and I think its easier to bend over since once I flick it up I have to chase after it,

"come here little birdie!"

8. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    haha one of those neat little tricks that ppl do. I used to know how to do it then I just decide to pick up the shuttle by hand instead. Now I don't know how to do it anymore. :D O well.

9. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

you flick it up? it just stays on my racquet. so i just bring the racquet head with the shuttle on it next to my hand and grab it.

10. tonten

tonten Regular Member

Student
    I've been playing 5 years and I still don't know how to do it (Though I haven't attempted it much)

I guess it comes with practice

But I hate it when people try to practice it while you are trying to have a ralley or in a middle of a game (Espcially if your time on the court is limited)

And I really hate it too when someone scoops it up and tosses it to you and the bird doesn't go far enough and than you have to walk to the front of the net to pick it up.

11. Judyc

Judyc Regular Member

but does it really matter if u can do it or not?

12. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Re: Scooping up a shuttle w/ racquet?

This is a very simple technique, it takes only minutes to master it...but you need to know a little secret.

Presuming the shuttle is lying on its side (not on the tips of the feather like a teepee)

1) the key is to place the face of your racquet so that it touches the feather & the cork at the same time
    2) then you make a scoop (like an ice-scream scoop) or like a backwards letter "C" (if you're right-handed)
    3) as you scoop, you need to drop your handle a bit and then bring it back up as you lift the racquet with the shuttle on its strings

Some common beginner's mistakes
    1) the face of the racquet is perpendicular to the centre line of the shuttle (ie/ touching only the cork)
    2) the racquet to too far away (more than 3inches) and you wind up sweeping the shuttle away from you
    3) the scooping is done at a slowish-medium speed

Once you mastered this, try catching the shuttle in the air...

http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9238

Cheers! :D

#12 Break-My-String, Feb 12, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    No, it really doesn't matter, although scooping the shuttle up with your racquet doesn't require you to bend lower as would be the case if you were to pick it up with your hand. Maybe, a little energy saved. However, from a tactical point of view, picking up the shuttle with your hand can be an advantage when you are desparately trying to do your very best to change the outcome of the game that is not going your way. How, you may ask?

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

...because you can secretly crush the shuttle as you pick it up :D

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    At one time in the past, past, it was considered rude to scoop the shuttle and flick it back over the net to your opponent if you had lost a point or service. It was even ruder to flick the shuttle back to your opponent with your racket from UNDERNEATH the net.

The more polite way is to either throw the shuttle with your hand if you are standing near the net or to hit it back non-aggressively over the net.

Nowadays, sometimes you see players use the racket to flick the shuttle from underneath the net to a short distance on the opponent's court before the service line. Therefore, the opponent has to walk forward to pick up the shuttle to start the game again. Yes, it may delay the game a little and give one a slightly longer time to recover, but this is bad taste.

Seemingly such actions are acceptable nowadays, but it smacks of unsporting/unsportsmanlike behaviour. It is something akin to throwing a coin and expecting your opponent to pick it up himself. Ideally, we should not pepetuate these actions. We should give our opponents due respect and exhibit some common courtesies as we would expect the same from them.

Unfortunately, I think it all started with the little act of successfully learning to scoop up the shuttle with our racket. By all means, make it easier for yourself by using the racket to pick up the bird but please try not to denigrate yourself or your opponent.

#15 Loh, Feb 13, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2004
  16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Exactly, this was the little 'dirty trick' that the Indonesian Eddy Yusof, from the Ferry Sonneville and Tan Joe Hock era, used to great advantage.

17. ArchDevil145

ArchDevil145 Regular Member

student
    You know, some people have the idea that picking up the shuttle with your racket makes you look like a great/ experienced player. The truth is, you can master this nifty trick in just days. Once you've successfully done one, then the rest are easy. Even catching the shuttle in mid-air makes you look like a cool player. The hard trick however, is scooping the shuttle using your backhand side.

18. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Well, that's weird....because I try to avoid to scoop up the shuttle although I am pretty good at it.....

Everytime I scoop up a shuttle, I would think that I would get a very tiny wear on my racket head, so I try to not to do it very often and as carefully as much. So, if I am not tired, I would just hand-picked up my shuttle.

As a racket collector, I will try to protect my racket to the best!
    (That's why my rackets look so new even I have used them for years) :)

19. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    shuttle scooping with the racket head is relatively easy. practice at home... i think the basic technique has already been outlined... the inverted C stroke or if i would rather do the inverted G... coz i twist the racket head in a bit when i already have it on the racket head to prevent it from flying off.

I really dont worry too much abt racket scratches coz lately, ive been playing on them taraflex rubber mat courts. :D

I find it way easier to scoop the shuttle with the racket than bending over to pick it up... as for the etiquette of tossing it over to the othe side of the net using the racket... i really dont see the point coz if you are trying to be polite, you'd try to toss it as close as you can to your opponent, the same way you'd try to toss it over as close as you can if you were tossing it over by hand. Tossing a shuttlecock by hand takes sooo much more energy to do than flicking it over with a racket. With a lil practice, im sure you can be just as accurate tossing the birdie with ur racket to ur opponent. Personally, i like it better when its tossed over using the racket coz i dont have to take a few more steps forward to get closer to the net receive the shuttle when it is either handed over or tossed by hand.... but thats just lazy old me

:)

20. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    ah, that's nice :) I love the rubber mat.

However, in the gym I usually go, there only have in hard wood.....so it's not very good to rackets.