User Tag List

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, that's weird....because I try to avoid to scoop up the shuttle although I am pretty good at it.....

Everytime I scoop up a shuttle, I would think that I would get a very tiny wear on my racket head, so I try to not to do it very often and as carefully as much. So, if I am not tired, I would just hand-picked up my shuttle.

As a racket collector, I will try to protect my racket to the best!
    (That's why my rackets look so new even I have used them for years)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shuttle scooping with the racket head is relatively easy. practice at home... i think the basic technique has already been outlined... the inverted C stroke or if i would rather do the inverted G... coz i twist the racket head in a bit when i already have it on the racket head to prevent it from flying off.

I really dont worry too much abt racket scratches coz lately, ive been playing on them taraflex rubber mat courts.

I find it way easier to scoop the shuttle with the racket than bending over to pick it up... as for the etiquette of tossing it over to the othe side of the net using the racket... i really dont see the point coz if you are trying to be polite, you'd try to toss it as close as you can to your opponent, the same way you'd try to toss it over as close as you can if you were tossing it over by hand. Tossing a shuttlecock by hand takes sooo much more energy to do than flicking it over with a racket. With a lil practice, im sure you can be just as accurate tossing the birdie with ur racket to ur opponent. Personally, i like it better when its tossed over using the racket coz i dont have to take a few more steps forward to get closer to the net receive the shuttle when it is either handed over or tossed by hand.... but thats just lazy old me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah, that's nice I love the rubber mat.

However, in the gym I usually go, there only have in hard wood.....so it's not very good to rackets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Loh
    Nowadays, sometimes you see players use the racket to flick the shuttle from underneath the net to a short distance on the opponent's court before the service line. Therefore, the opponent has to walk forward to pick up the shuttle to start the game again.
    Seemingly such actions are acceptable nowadays, but it smacks of unsporting/unsportsmanlike behaviour.
    I would say that is more in singles than doubles.
    But, then again, in the matches I see on TV, the winner of the point usually turns his back on his opponent and walks away.
    Particularly in the cases when both players are at the net, and the shuttle is right there, I find it bad that the point winner walks away.
    Although, sometimes you see a player who knows they are fitter get the shuttle themselves after winning a point to keep the pace up.

In a group I used to play with, there was a player who never passed the shuttle back to you. He would always flick it along the floor with his racquet in your general direction. But never straight to you. That was annoying, so you have to get your satisfaction from putting the shuttle on the floor on his side more often, and laughing at his pettiness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Loh

Nowadays, sometimes you see players use the racket to flick the shuttle from underneath the net to a short distance on the opponent's court before the service line. Therefore, the opponent has to walk forward to pick up the shuttle to start the game again. Yes, it may delay the game a little and give one a slightly longer time to recover, but this is bad taste.
    Sigh! Now-a-day, pro's do it most of the time. Some even do that every time, look at Chen Wang, Camilla Martin, ..... Even when both players are from the same countries, they are doing that also. It's no longer a gentlemen's sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed that the winner will be right there at the shuttle and will still walk to the service line expecting the loser of the rally to toss it to him or her. It does look kind of rude. But it also makes a statement. It indicates that you do have some attitude, but it's not completely rude. For one, everyone does it. Two, when the loser becomes an eventual winner of a rally, he can make his own statement and make the other person pick it up. It's kind of like, "yeah, you pick it up; i just burned you!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't win either way ... if the winner of the rally picks it up, then its "Ha-ha, you couldn't get this drop, here you go {toss} ... try harder next time"

-dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly! It doesn't really matter. Just try harder and love the opportunity when you get to be the one that turns away from the shuttle and have THEM pick it up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, if your playing against a barbarian, i guess there's no point in being polite.

I'd like to think most of us would like to call themselves gentlemen or at least civilized... but sometimes the heat of competition can do bring out the worst (aside from the best) in us.

Gloating is fun, no doubt about it... but im sure theres such a thing as a good gloater and a poor gloater.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my learning time

Forehand scoop: 1 day (my racket rim was pretty thick ^.^, learned how to scoop before i learned how to hit it inside the court consistently -.-)

Backhand scoop: 2-3 days (mite cause cramps if you do it carelessly.. x.x)

Scooping w/o lift: Priceless....... (more like 2 days)

Shouldnt take you too long to learn. "Just watch others do it" and get "the motion right" some knowledge of physics mite help.... cuz you want the birdie to get lodged between the corner of your rim and string bed.. keep in mind that you want to lift and turn your racket fast enuff to keep the birdie from slipping off........ like... swinging a bucket full of water over your head? o.0
    Last edited by Kurodo; 02-15-2004 at 07:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default picking shuttlescocks using rackets

hi....can any1 tell mi how is it excatly to pick up shuttlerscock easily using the racket????? when i tried it just cant pick up...when i see most badminton players they can like pick up effortless without the shuttles flying away or droping......any1 pls....assisitance is apprciated...thks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fengtai42
    hi....can any1 tell mi how is it excatly to pick up shuttlerscock easily using the racket????? when i tried it just cant pick up...when i see most badminton players they can like pick up effortless without the shuttles flying away or droping......any1 pls....assisitance is apprciated...thks
    well heres what you have to do, you have to use the rim of your racquet and do a scooping motion and well flick the shuttlecock upwards it could take some practice for you to get it right so i suggest that you take a shuttlecock at home and practice it whenever you can i mean it only took me 3min to master so it shouldent take you to long and after you learn that you should try and catch the shuttlecock on ur racquet its actually easier than it looks anyways just keep practicing and you will get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fengtai42
    there are three very important techniques in badminton you must master.

1. Spinning the racket on your finger where the shaft meets the head.
    2. "catching" a shuttle in the air with your racket.
    and finally,
    3. being able to pick up the shuttle off the floor with your racket.

Practice hard!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok....but has it got to do with the type of flooring or it can be done in any kind of surface???? is there any significance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

basically, it can be done in any type of standard flooring unless you're talking about the extremes (ie brick floor....jk )
    just keep practicing w/ the above mentioned suggestion and u should have no problem

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One can scoop the shuttlecock with the racquet in two ways. Using your wrist (with a closed grip) or manipulate your fingers on the grip to control the racquet head. Personally, I prefer the fingers method.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Picking up shuttle

Hi can you all highlight again which part of the rim of the racket is used to pick up shuttlecock? Which part of the shuttlecock contact with the racket? What is the movement after that? PLs advise...thanks

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast