User Tag List

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m_poppema
    You should use the same technique as you would catching an egg that's been thrown at you from a distance..

That's the main thing to think about when you practise..
    You should, just before the shuttle touching your stringbed, move your racket in the direction the shuttle is going to..
    Just slighty slower than the shuttle is moving..at the end you should be 'surprised' to see the shuttle just lying on your stringbed for the first time
    Thanks! I'll try doing that tomorrow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keith_aquino
    How'd you do that? I find it very difficult. I usually just catch the shuttle with my hand or just bounce it on my racket. Is it harder than scooping a shuttle?
    not sure if it'll help much, but you can read my brief description on page 3, it's post #52

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keith_aquino
    Thanks! I'll try doing that tomorrow
    I agree with the egg idea. It's like... If an egg were to be drop from a very high distance and you were told to catch it without it breaking. Will you.............

a) Just lay your hand flat in mid air and wait for the egg to drop on your hand?

OR

b) Try to move your hand accordingly to where the egg is heading toward, so the impact of the egg and your hand won't be hard enough to break it.

Same goes for the shuttle, if you follow the shuttle with your racquet, it won't just bounce out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

say the shuttle is dropping straight down about an arms length in front of u. I try and put my racquet just to the side of it. Then as it falls gradually twist your racquet towards the shuttle, sort of like cushioning the shuttle. If you do it right you should end up with the shuttle on your racquet. Id make another vid but ive not got anyone to film it at the mo.

V| v=shuttle |=racquet
    V/
    >

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys for that egg tip. That REALLY helped!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

k well i know how to do the catch the bird on your racket via the egg technique. but i've never tried playing net shots in a similar motion. do you guys think it works? of course you dont catch it, but is that the same technique to make the bird tumble? i have horrible net shots. i just redirect the bird and it goes too high off the net and lands too closes to my opponent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cheung31
    k well i know how to do the catch the bird on your racket via the egg technique. but i've never tried playing net shots in a similar motion. do you guys think it works? of course you dont catch it, but is that the same technique to make the bird tumble? i have horrible net shots. i just redirect the bird and it goes too high off the net and lands too closes to my opponent
    i'd say netshots are more like a sideways cut.. i could be wrong though.. i dont know if all my techniques are right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we're going 'a bit' offtopic here guys...

But, to answer the latest question:

I don't know if it helps you out but, since my latest tip here was very much appreciated I'll just try to help you too..

To let the birdie tumble over the net you have to use, as called in tennis, a slice..
    (Slice = opposite of topspin)
    Don't use the same technique as in tennis though, because the move in tennis is tooo long..
    Just at the moment of impact, or just before, do a short slicing movement..

Good luck on improving your netplay!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Not a hard trick to master.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombshell
    You know how lots of people can just scoop a bird off the ground with the tip of their racquet? Well, I've been playing for three years. Three years! You'd think I'd have learned how to do that simple little trick. Yet I haven't. How on earth is it done? It's such a pain sometimes to have to bend all the way down to pick up the bird by hand...
    Lol. I have been playing for a long time too and you are not the only one who has the same problem. I have friends that face the same dillema. It is not a hard trick to master actually.

The key component that you have to be fast. What you do is, place the corner of your racquet down to the birdie so that it nicely would slide under it. Then with just a flick of the racquet(you want to get it going in a circular motion) it(corner of the racquet) will lift the birdie up from the bottom and there you have it. Practice makes perfect!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys for the tips. I can now finally catch the shuttle with my racket. Just want to say thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, guys. I feel somewhat embarrassed reviving this old post.
    I just want to ask, is it legal for me to use that "racket catching" method
    in games. If it is, do you think it's deceptive?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth yick
    no it is not legal to catch the shuttle with your racket during play. its a fault, and so is hitting it twice in a row which not too many people realise....(that rely annoys me)
    Oh sorry, I wasn't precise. I mean is it legal to "push" the shuttle from that technique, not hitting the cork but the feathers. Would that still be considered "catching?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you mean push the feathers instead of the cork?? im not sure about that, but as the flight pattern of the shuttle, this shot is near impossible, even a slice shot you touch the cork, so im inclined to say this situation will never actually arise. and even if it does it would probably be called as a fault anyways. dont concentrate on this lol, practice some more. summer holidays coming up, play play play lol gonna be at kelsey 48 hours a day....
    Ok, thanks!
    I can't believe that I forgot that I can check the IBF rules.

i can scoop the shuttle off the floor, but whats the point? you wnat the shuttle in your hand anyways just pick it up dont be lazy.
    I disagree. We should use more of our energy for the game instead of picking up the shuttles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's harder to bend your legs than your waist usually, especially when you're start to get tired. once your legs reach a 90 degree angle, it takes quite a bit of extra effort to extend them. so picking up the bird is easier, as well as slight knee-bending plus use of the waist is quite energy efficient

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

see i dont think this is the case. if you wnat to conserve energy so much why do you pass the shuttle back to your opponent if it lands on your side? this scoop thing just looks flashy to me, but thats my opinion. i pick up the shuttle everytime afterall its meant to end up in your hand anyways. (good excersize....)
    Renkinjutsushi is right, it's really tiring to pick up the shuttle with your hand all the time.

Even if it looks flashy, to me.. It's fine. There's no reason for me to keep myself from doing little scooping trick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Renkinjutsushi
    it's harder to bend your legs than your waist usually, especially when you're start to get tired. once your legs reach a 90 degree angle, it takes quite a bit of extra effort to extend them. so picking up the bird is easier, as well as slight knee-bending plus use of the waist is quite energy efficient
    That's true , you may not know it , but it gets really tiring picking up shuttlecocks off the floor once you've done it a lot of times .

I've tried this "scooping up bird w/h racket thing" and it works about 25% of the time for me . The saying goes " practice makes perfect " but whenever I try to scoop it up and misses , the person on the other side of the court would kind of roll their eyes or something so I always end up picking it with my hand so I won't waste time ( they might think I'm stalling or something ) .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

believe me, i couldn't do the scooping trick until a few months ago.. and it was tiring picking up birdies by hand every time you miss the shot.. VERY tiring... picking the birdie up with your racket is that much easier

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast