Different rackets..different pain?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by azabaz_ipoh, Apr 11, 2008.

1. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    let me start with some initial information. i have three rackets currently and i alternate between them. the rackets are :

1. YONEX MP29L
    --3UG5
    --MEDIUM FLEX
    --BG80
    --TENSION 23 X 25

2. YONEX ISO75MFLT
    --3UG5
    --VERY FLEXIBLE
    --ASHAWAY MICROPOWER 0.66 (BLUE)
    --TENSION 23 X 25

3. YONEX CARBONEX 8000
    --2UG4
    --VERY FLEXIBLE
    --BG66
    --TENSION 24 X 26

ok, i experience different pain when i am using these three rackets. well not really painful but the soreness is there. when i use the mp29, i get golfer's elbow. when i use iso75, i feel soreness on the front of my shoulder above the chest next to the armpit. when i use the carbonex, i feel tightness on the top of my shoulder between the neck and the top of my arm. any insight on why? i know my technique is far from perfect but shouldn't you feel the same soreness if you use the same wrong technique (if indeed my technique is wrong :D:D:D)?

#1 azabaz_ipoh, Apr 11, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I get different pains with different racquets as well.

I only use two main racquets ATM, MP40 3UG5 and AT700 3UG4.
    As you guys should all know, the MP40 is head-light and the AT700 is head-heavy. When I use the MP40, I play better because I make use of my wrist more because it's head-light. More usage of the wrist = better angle, precision and shuttle speed. But it also gives me a pain in the wrist..

On the otherhand when I use my AT700, more power from my shoulders/deltoids are needed. I can't use my wrist as much, and it gives me a pain in the shoulder after two hours or so.. but it may also be because it's strung 2lbs tigether than the mp40, at 26lbs.

3. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

I don't have any pain.
    I have about 15 rackets, all ranging from super light (80g) to quite heavy (like noob heavy with no bounce strings).
    I play the heavier noob rackets because it's more fun and challenging. I can still do a full baseline backhand clear with it, although the timing is different.
    And because I just keep breaking up the racket strings :p

4. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    yer lucky loopy. :D or yer have very good technique. or a combination of both. :p

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

my shoulder is always sore after a normal badminton session, we play 3 hours here. doesn't really matter which racquet i use. to be fair though, all my racquets are stiff to extra stiff, but i do use a combination of even, head-heavy, iso and oval racquets.

6. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

No miss ;)
    Good technique which requires practice and timing helps a WHOLE lot.
    The most important is the basic movement.
    And then you can strengthen your muscles with dumbbells or kettlebells :D

7. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    From my experience playing with almost 20 different rackets that i used to have,n 7 of them which i always play with,no problem at all..Thank God then..hehe

8. daddxd

daddxd Regular Member

Seems still the footwork problem, if you feet cannot catch up with the bird behind you already while you jump to forehand smash/clear. Just my 2 cents.

9. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    the question is, should you be feeling pain at all?

10. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    the answer is no. :) i have no coach, so technique might be wrong. i have done no muscle building exercises for my racket arm (well, after all i am only playing for fun :p), so muscles might not be able to handle the frequent swings. but i wonder why different pain. why not the same pain for any racket. that was the question actually. :D

11. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    well, you don't need to do training to handle frequent swings. your body should be adapting to how much you play anyway. but you might want to work on your technique. you don't want surgery a few years on because of bad technique. and if you do have wrong technique, then yes, racquets would matter. head heavy and head light, and the stiffness of the shaft will greatly affect those with wrong or incorrect technique, and so, you'll end up with your body sending different responses. which is also an underlying reason why a lot of beginners try to buy the most expensive racquet possible, because, to them, it does like they are hitting it harder.

12. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    thanks for the feedback. will take your advice into consideration. the pain is not that bad. more soreness and the feeling of tightness rather than all out pain. the soreness goes away the next day. i know i need to learn proper technique but i have no option to do that now. :) will try though. thanks again.

13. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Correcting the swinging technique is freaking hard..
    My 'hardout' A/B grade friends told me that I needed to rotate my body more and have a longer follow-through to produce more power, but meh.. so hard to do while playing!. Thinking about improving my stroke, tactics and footwork is just too hard to do at once..

I recently adopted a new stroke, very dependant on the wrist-snap. I can generate alot of power and the angle is far better than before, but the more advanced players are telling me to improve it. I'm not sure how long it will take me to adjust my stroke, but I'm thankful to know that I still have things to improve on.

I guess that for now, I will make use of the head-light mp40 to keep using my wrist power more. And hopefully I can add in some more body rotation and follow-through. I do decent follow-throughs and body rotations, but I'm guessing that I can produce more power and be more precise with my shots if I rotate my body more and and improve my follow-through..

It doesn't seem too hard, so I guess I'll just keep practising.