User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think the majority of buyers would just go:

XXXX: 90-94 gms

ahh, perfect, that's the right one. Now, which color grip should I choose?

and ponder no further than that.

-dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    racket should be expressed in mass. the reason is simple. not only are we interested in how heavy the racket weighs on a scale, whose weight we can calculate by f=ma, we are also interested in how much force we need to accelerate the racket, which is more accurately expressed in mass, also due to f=ma.

so in other words, 99% of the stores out there are giving us the correct units, but not the correct label.
    Thank you for the first person that finally understands me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no showing the mass of the racket would be a big FAIL. no body is interested in knowing how much mass a racket has, we want the weight of the racket. using newtons is only for expressing forces in a scientific context. using grams is practical and straight to the point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by martin8768 View Post
    no showing the mass of the racket would be a big FAIL. no body is interested in knowing how much mass a racket has, we want the weight of the racket. using newtons is only for expressing forces in a scientific context. using grams is practical and straight to the point.
    Wow man, you haven't read every post before you answered had you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magiadam View Post
    Whenever they describe the weight of the racket, it is described with a unit of 'Grams' or 'Lbs', when it should be expressed with a unit of 'Newtons' since they're talking about the weight technically. They should express the racket's mass properly.

Just a thought XD
    lbs is reference to force already as we don't say lbs mass.

we dont necessary have quote it in newton, expression in gram-force is suffice but we just lazy, and say 'gram' for short.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wood_22_chuck View Post
    I would think the majority of buyers would just go:

XXXX: 90-94 gms

ahh, perfect, that's the right one. Now, which color grip should I choose?

and ponder no further than that.

-dave
    ^yup, or thats at least how we pick rackets around here.

I don't think anyone has really cared about this subject mainly because it doesn't matter if the companies are wrong because ALL of them are making the same mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's all make the first badminton store that displays "Mass: XXX grams" then ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it'd be illogical to tell us the actual weight in Newtons. The average person probably wouldn't know the Newtons to pound ratio, as I forget right now, as well. There is much more to discern from mass than weight. I doubt a racket would weigh more than a couple pounds--probably less. It's easier to convert through mass in grams/kilograms than weight in Newtons.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why do people ask you how much you weigh then? and why is it called a weigh-in on The Biggest Loser? doesn't that relate to weight?

i think you don't have to be technical about labels. i think people would love to say Weight:80g than Mass:80g.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

weight must have a relativity. the weight here on earth and on moon is different.
    but we're playing badminton on earth (i hope) and everything is measured in kg or lbs... so let's keep that constant and try not to change anything. whatever you learnt in physics should stay in physics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by llpjlau View Post
    why do people ask you how much you weigh then? and why is it called a weigh-in on The Biggest Loser? doesn't that relate to weight?

i think you don't have to be technical about labels. i think people would love to say Weight:80g than Mass:80g.
    it is not wrong.
    if a racket weights 90g, it is 90g force because it is a weight measured by a weight scale, same way if the same racket was weighted on a imperial scale which will read ounces or 3.2 oz or .199 lb. No weight scale sold ever divide the 90g by gravity to give u a mass reading.

ie thread is pointless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by llpjlau View Post

it is not wrong.
    if a racket weights 90g, it is 90g force because it is a weight measured by a weight scale, same way if the same racket was weighted on a imperial scale which will read ounces or 3.2 oz or .199 lb. No commercial weight scale sold ever divide the 90g by gravity to give u a mass reading.

ie magiadam thread is pointless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    it is not wrong.
    if a racket weights 90g, it is 90g force because it is a weight measured by a weight scale, same way if the same racket was weighted on a imperial scale which will read ounces or 3.2 oz or .199 lb. No commercial weight scale sold ever divide the 90g by gravity to give u a mass reading.

ie magiadam thread is pointless
    1) The thread is not pointless, it is a true error all markets are making.

2) Don't flame people

3) In the formula F=ma,

F = Force (Newtons)
    m = Mass (grams)
    a = Accelration (9.81 on Earth).

Weight, is a FORCE. Thus, it must be expressed in Newtons, and not Grams hence, markets are using the wrong term there buddy!! In order for markets to use Grams, they must express it by "Mass: 90 grams"; and NOT "Weight: 90 grams". Unit for Weight is NOT EQUAL TO Grams. If you were studying Sciences in University or something you'd know before you gave false information and made yourself look bad infront of the whole world.

Point brought out.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magiadam View Post
    1) The thread is not pointless, it is a true error all markets are making.

2) Don't flame people

3) In the formula F=ma,

F = Force (Newtons)
    m = Mass (grams)

Weight, is a FORCE. Thus, it must be expressed in Newtons, and not Grams hence, markets are using the wrong term there buddy!! In order for markets to use Grams, they must express it by "Mass: 90 grams"; and NOT "Weight: 90 grams". Unit for Weight is NOT EQUAL TO Grams. If you were studying Sciences in University or something you'd know before you gave false information and made yourself look bad infront of the whole world.

Point brought out.
    i am just curious. if a friend asks you how much you weigh, what do you answer? answer me honestly...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am just curious. if a friend asks you how much you weigh, what do you answer? answer me honestly...
    Sorry Kwun, You asked for it.
    Which one? Net weight? Gross Weight? Girly weight? Before Badminton weight? After Badminton weight? My weight in LA? My weight in Vail?

Everything but Newton...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I weigh 800N on earth (g=9.81N/KG = (9.81Kg M/S^2)kg = 9.81M/S^2)
    And therefore my mass is..

W=MG
    M=W/G
    =800N/9.81M/S^2
    =(800kg M/S^2)/9.81M/S^2
    = 81.55Kg
    = 815.5N?

Sorry.. I have a freaking physics test tommorow.

3) In the formula F=ma,

F = Force (Newtons)
    m = Mass (grams)

Point brought out.
    They may be wrong, but as long as the whole point is conveyed,( how heavy or light the racquet is ) then "99%" of the people interested in the racquet wouldn't even care about what the units are in.
    Some people around the world wouldn't know the difference between mass and weight, and the unit: Newtons. Wouldn't it be easier just to measure the racquets in grams because most people know about it..
    Measuring the weight and mass in Neutons just makes things complicated because everybody's used to measuring in grams, kilograms, pounds and so on outside the physics class or the exam rooms .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

since difference in gravity is too small for common practical application, what object we weighs is expressed in mass, no need to multiply it by g to express it in force. That's why we call the scale weight scale, not mass scale. Without gravity, common man wouldn't able to measure what mass of a racket.
    Last edited by cooler; 04-15-2008 at 04:46 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast