User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 69 to 79 of 79
  1. #69
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by llpjlau View Post
    frankly, do you answer XX newtons when someone asks you your weight? if you do, then you are weird.
    Stereotype much?

  2. #70
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Where else?
    Posts
    2,146
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magiadam View Post
    Stereotype much?
    it is not a stereotype. 99.9% of people would use kg to tell people their weight. ask anyone on BC, they won't disagree with me.

  3. #71
    Regular Member jhirata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand, New Z
    Posts
    2,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by llpjlau View Post
    it is not a stereotype. 99.9% of people would use kg to tell people their weight. ask anyone on BC, they won't disagree with me.
    I'm that 0.1% who answered it in Newtons

    Quote Originally Posted by jhirata
    I weigh 800N on earth (g=9.81N/KG = (9.81Kg M/S^2)kg = 9.81M/S^2)
    And therefore my mass is..

    W=MG
    M=W/G
    =800N/9.81M/S^2
    =(800kg M/S^2)/9.81M/S^2
    = 81.55Kg
    = 815.5N?

    Sorry.. I have a freaking physics test tommorow.

  4. #72
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I learn this in first year physics, this is what the prof told me, it is wrong in physics terms, but it is generally accepted in the real world therefore is right. and make keep things simplify.

  5. #73
    Regular Member jhirata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand, New Z
    Posts
    2,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2007fp View Post
    I learn this in first year physics, this is what the prof told me, it is wrong in physics terms, but it is generally accepted in the real world therefore is right. and make keep things simplify.
    Thanks for clearing things up. That's what myself and some others were meant to say before..

    It's the same for English.. there's a difference between 'then' and 'than', but as long as others can understand what they mean by it, then it's not really much of a problem at all.
    For example.. some people here may say: 'this racquet is better then that racquet'. We know that he or she should have used 'than' instead of 'then', but we all know what they mean and there's no need to bother them by correcting their English grammar either, so we dont.
    Last edited by jhirata; 04-17-2008 at 01:34 AM.

  6. #74
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jhirata View Post
    Thanks for clearing things up. That's what myself and some others were meant to say before..

    It's the same for English.. there's a difference between 'then' and 'than', but as long as others can understand what they mean by it, then it's not really much of a problem at all.
    For example.. some people here may say: 'this racquet is better then that racquet'. We know that he or she should have used 'than' instead of 'then', but we all know what they mean and there's no need to bother them by correcting their English grammar either, so we dont.
    That person, is thus, ignorant.

  7. #75
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magiadam View Post
    That person, is thus, ignorant.
    when u r older, u will see it like the rest of us

  8. #76
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerby View Post
    weight is a force, and indeed has the unit of newtons.
    Mass however is an (extensive?) property, and has a unit of grams or pounds.

    Also, just for poops and giggles... weight is not only dependend of the gravity, it is depended on all the forces acting on the object.
    a 5kg table is acting on the floor with a weight of roughly 50N, whent he table is left standing. but when I lean on it with a 100N force the table is acting on the floor with a weight of 150N.

    But it's such a common misconception everybody knows what is meant...
    Our site happily states weight

    (I guess this removes any doubt people had I was a geek, now they know for sure )
    ROFL~! Pounds is not mass, it is a force. n00b

  9. #77
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magiadam View Post
    Whenever they describe the weight of the racket, it is described with a unit of 'Grams' or 'Lbs', when it should be expressed with a unit of 'Newtons' since they're talking about the weight technically. They should express the racket's mass properly.

    Just a thought XD
    Again... Lbs is a force. At least get the facts straight before you start a thread?

  10. #78
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magiadam View Post
    That person, is thus, ignorant.
    Totally agreed with you when people can't even tell that lb is force, not a mass, and start bragging on some internet forum. Woot.

  11. #79
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    36,001
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    this thread is getting no where with both sides not seeing (or deliberately not willing to see) the argument of the other.

    closed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 123
    : 05-23-2011, 12:23 AM
  2. Making a Badminton Film
    By Fernleif in forum General Forum
    Replies: 26
    : 11-09-2007, 10:32 AM
  3. Making a living at badminton
    By advent in forum General Forum
    Replies: 25
    : 06-15-2007, 06:39 AM
  4. making badminton the best
    By nypockus in forum General Forum
    Replies: 1
    : 02-26-2004, 02:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •