Double hit in the new rules of badminton

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by daddxd, Apr 13, 2008.

1. daddxd

daddxd Regular Member

I heard that double hit is no longer considered as a violation in the new rules of badminton. Is it true? Anyway, I had no experience to double hit and see it during my playing so far. What is the double-hit like in badminton, generally?

2. evylgrynn

evylgrynn Regular Member

the double hit has not been considered a violation for some time. The main point is that the swing has to be one continuous motion.
    for example if a person swings, nicks the shuttle sending it up into the air, then swings and hits the shuttle again, then that is a fault. However, if a person does a backhand underhand clear, first hits the shuttle with the frame, and in the same swing the shuttle then hits the strings and goes over the net, this is a legal double hit.
    hope that clears it up a little

3. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

The relevant law says:

"13. FAULTS
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]It shall be a ‘fault’: [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]...[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]13.3 if in play, the shuttle: [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]...[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]13.3.7 is caught and held on the racket and then slung during the execution of a stroke;[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]13.3.8 is hit twice in succession by the same player. However, a shuttle hitting the head and the stringed area of the racket in one stroke shall not be a ‘fault’;[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]13.3.9 is hit by a player and the player’s partner successively; "[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]It clearly outlaws all double hits by a player, accidental or deliberate, unless the double hit takes the form of a frame and string double hit.[/FONT]

4. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

We usually call a fault when the shuttle is double-hit or has double-touched.
    This usually happens when the pair is in the front-back formation. Happens more when defending especially.

5. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

Different people often call different things doubles hits, but they are all faults - whether successive strikes by both partners in a doubles match or two hits by the same player, unless it is a frame/string double hit.

6. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

But.. what if the shuttle is hit with the frame, and the shuttle goes up.. then the player smashes the shuttle down with the strings.. ? That would be a fault.. right ?

7. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Of course.
    Badminton isn't volleyball.

Even if the shuttle is mishit at the frame, then goes off slightly then is hit again on the strings on the same continuous movement, that's a fault.

8. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

Er, have you not read the law that I quoted in my post above? Law 13.3.8 specifically says that a double hit on strings and frame in a single stroke is not a fault.

The scenario mentioned by Jhirata is definitely a fault, though, as it is more than one stroke.

9. scann

scann Regular Member

IT - Software
    I did that in one of the game recently, I was faulted by a gang of none-IT-savvy good friends. I remembered this particular rule. Not to be duly delay the game I gave in. Eventually I won the game. I will print out the article 13.3.8 of Badminton rule and show them. Hopefully can EDUCATE them.

Regards,
    SCANN

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Sorry. That's not how the rule is interpreted.

11. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    i thought it was...as long as you do so in one continuous swing...double hit is okay.

12. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

As long as one hit is on frame, the other is on the strings and it is one stroke, then yes, it is OK. However, if it is two frame or two string hits it is a fault, even if accidental and even if it is one stroke.

13. wocdam

wocdam Regular Member

Professional
    to put it simply, as long as i swing, and the shuttle hits the frame and stringbed in that same motion, then it's not a fault. i'm sure most of us would have had the experience, and usually both the contact timings are around the same instant.

14. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

The law changed two years ago. Previously an accidental double hit in one stroke was OK.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I guess one way of describing it is that if the shuttle is hit at the same time in one stroke by the frame and strings, it is not considered a fault.

Unless it is not hit at the same time, ie, the shuttle is hit at the frame first followed by the strings (in succession), or vice versa, no matter how close the time difference. This is interpreted as having the shuttle hit at two different places or being hit twice and it is a fault under Law 13.3.8:

It shall be a 'fault', if in play, the shuttle:

is hit twice in succession by the same player.
    However, a shuttle hitting the head and the stringed area of the racket in one stroke shall not be a 'fault'.

16. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

You seem to be contradicting yourself in that post Loh. There is nothing in the law to say that a string/frame double hit has to be simultaneous or near-simultaneous. It just says that this kind of double hit is the only one that is legal (as long as it is in one stroke).

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Then how would you descibe it in a simpler way? :)

18. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

Er, how about "all double hits, whetheer accidental or deliberate, are faults unless made in one stroke on the frame and the string".

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    But the question is how do you differentiate a double hit and one that is not. :)

I'm sure you have seen, or maybe even experienced yourself, that with one stroke you can hit the shuttle twice, mostly accidentally.

I have experienced many times when chipping the golf ball that I can hit it twice as my club hit the ball on the follow through when I strike it too slow. :eek: But in this case it is not a fault, it is two strokes instead of one. :D

20. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Uncle Loh, we should play golf together sometimes.
    Besides Badminton, Golf is my other equal passion. :D
    I'm so much a technical junkie, the golf swing has no more secrets to me. 300 yards miaow ! :)

And everyone who plays golf and knows the double hit on the same swing can easily extrapolate to badminton ;)