Is racket clashing an usual thing ?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Wildstone, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

Is racket clashing something normal that we should just take it with a grain of salt and be done with it ?

Usually when I broke my strings I'll go 'ooops, gotta restring again tomorrow'. How many of you guys when you break your racket you'll just go 'ooops, I'm going to get a new racket tomorrow' ?

It's seems like badminton is starting to evolve as a high maintenance sport don't you think ?

2. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

racket clashing is not usual. well only usual for beginner players, i remember when i was in grade 9-10... there were frequent racket clashing because i didnt know about footwork or any rotations. but racket clashing shouldn't happen. recently... a month ago, i just got my AT700 restrung and it was at the best tension ever and my partner and i were practicing. he was a lefty and i was a right hander. we both when for a smash and my racket cracked against his Black Knight. It was a good racket and i just looked at it and said... I have a spare. I didn't break down or anything i just complained to myself that who ever calls it must go for it, it was entirely my fault.

3. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Your strings should last you 2 months min. unless you are playing or practicing more than 30 hrs a week...BG 65 last long time and plays well....the most popular string in Vietnam, plus it is cheaper...I train and play 21 hrs a week and spend hours on drops/slices and my string will last 2 months easy...
    Clashing rackets just happens....no matter how good you are there will be clashes of rackets....unless you want to just let the middle smashes go for winners...we use the "front player takes it first"...meaning the player who is closer to the net takes the middle smashes and the back player will swing second...if the clear is in the middle(both players equal distance from the net) then we let the backhand player take the smash return...one right and one lefty you have to decide before the game who takes it and even then it will not work all the time...Playing for fun it is not worth breaking a racket to win a point...

4. pawpawsalad

pawpawsalad Regular Member

i like to clash rackets on purpose cos mine is cheap :p

5. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

that's just evil lol. please dont do it to me.

6. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Haha!! Wow... that's... oh dear :p.

Yeah I had a few clashes in my first couple of years. But that's one of the reasons you start out with cheap gear :). And once my knee broke the racquet of one of the best players in the South Island of New Zealand during half-court warm-ups. He didn't even say sorry!! You'd think my knee was more important than a racquet... :(

7. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    It might be a usual thing when you're first starting or if your partner is inexperienced. Eventually you'll play smarter even if your partner sucks. If I don't know who I'm playing with, I refuse to give it my full strength unless I can them and what they're doing before hitting. Sure it's a bit slower, but safety first!

Just this last weekend I got paired up with a beginner and when I was already swinging into a backhand shot, the guy runs from his side of the court and ends up crossing over my legs and stepped on my foot while swinging to clear it. Point is, play smart or play singles :)

8. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    lol it shouldn't be usual for high performance training places...but the occasional thing happens...but for social nights and such...fully prepare yourself at least once...but i would totally be bummed if my racket broke lol and unless you're rich or sponsored, it's a pretty horrible thing =="...but i wouldn't care too much ONLY if the match meant something, and i win the point ;):p

9. aerotus70

aerotus70 Regular Member

dont play doubles? :D

if u coordinate with your partner wont clash if you play long enough with him/her. But usually over enthu players tend to clash (want to hit every shuttle that comes over the net)

10. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Racquet clashing.. it depends on the person I pair up with. When I pair up with one of my best mates that I always pair up with, we never ever clash, and we can rotate our positions around the court and position ourselves in the right place all the time, probably because we're used to it.
    But when playing with others, I sometimes have to shout 'sides!!!' all the time.. they obviously dont know the basics of doubles..
    I know that the pros do shout 'sides!' or whatever, but that's just something that they've gotten so used to.

It seems like that if my partner doesnt get back into the sides position after clearing or lifting, we tend to *nearly* clash the racquet because he'd always stand right in the middle..

But if there's a chance that we'll clash our racquets, I just dont go for it and I leave it. Losing a point isn't as bad as losing a racquet.

11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Should not be usual, but due to some confusion for non advance player, it can happen mainly due to the rules not understood in some cases. Again, even pro does it. That's the hazard. 5-10 rackets broken in your lifetime is considered ok. People may change rackets after 2 years due to feel, influences or new design being developed.

12. wocdam

wocdam Regular Member

Professional
    it's quite normal to clash rackets esp if i'm playing doubles with someone i don't partner often. more so in mixed doubles when the shuttle reaches mid court. that's why my bag usually have 6 rackets, and are the "more durable" kind. to avoid clashes, either play singles or get a regular doubles playing partner

13. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

it's unavoidable sometimes, in the heat of 'battle', especially when you and your partner have been pulled out of position, these things can happen. one of the guys in my club broke his at900p last saturday as a result of a clash with his partner, they are both good players. but they were under a lot of pressure defending, and a well placed drive down the center caught them both by surprise, both went for the shot and one of them ending up :crying:.

well, not literally, of course.

14. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Even in the Super Series you will hear and sometimes see rackets clash and break...the old saying..."shi:rolleyes:t happens" is very true....;)

15. DexDez

DexDez Regular Member

Technologist
    Clashing shouldn't happen when two partners are on the same page.

16. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Shouldnt but WILL

You can be on the same page, same paragraph, same line and still you will have clashes...Badminton is the FASTEST racket sport in the world and played on a court half the size of a tennis court and you will have clashes no matter how good you and your partner are...Besides, how else are we supposed to justify buying new rackets???????:D

17. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    Hahahaha, yeah.

I lost an AT700 a couple weeks ago after playing doubles with an overzealous high school mid-level player. I was definitely bummed, but it happens. Can't wait to train today, just had my rackets restrung and regripped them last night ^_^

The joys of badminton..

18. DexDez

DexDez Regular Member

Technologist
    When you speak of a competitive level of play, yes badminton clashes are bound to happen on the other hand if you play for the fun of playing, what's 1 point? Many times me and my partner suddenly stops with or racquet in ready to swing position and says "good shot".

19. kevyeoh

kevyeoh Regular Member

this is something which will definitely happen and we can't do much about it... you can try to let go of the shots...but there are times when reflex action takes over and the next thing u know...u're looking at ur broken racket... :)

anyway... this is badminton and you'll have to take it as part and parcel of the game...

20. BlankShot

BlankShot Regular Member

Uhh no. Racket Clashing isn't usual. If you clash rackets with your partner, it shows that you guys don't work well together and need to practice more together.

*remembers an epic clash between my MP99 and my friends MP100* The whole gym heard it, it was that loud, yet our rackets were unscathed! :D