I need a coach!!

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Josh B., Mar 28, 2002.

1. Josh B.

Josh B. Guest

Is there anyone here that does private badminton coaching in Vancouver. Preferably in the South Surrey/Surrey area. Thanks a lot.

2. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    do you want coaching in Vancouver or South Surrey or Surrey? that is quite a difference in distance between the three locations.

have you had private coaching before? either at the VRC or other facilities?

depending on your age, if you live in Surrey, why don't you come out on Sunday morning to the Guildford Rec center (152 st and 105 ave), i am running a junior training program (9:30 to 11:30) along with a couple other coaches that will cover all the fundamentals plus game strategy and concepts. it is group training, but there are several juniors there that are among the top in BC.

3. Josh B.

Josh B. Guest

It sounds great but if that program teaches young people that are among the best in BC than I would not fit in to that. I just casually play with other adults at White Rock badminton club. I'm probably an intermediate.

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    hey, you must also be bumping into AARON and the twins? the twins will start the practices with us next weekend, also one of the volunteer coaches play at white rock. why does sound like i am repeating myself....

as for intermediate or beginner, it doesn't matter - that was the reason why i asked my friends to volunteer their time so that there are three coaches there to assist with all the kids. if you are an adult, you might want to look at the drop-in program on Saturday mornings also at guildford and that is run by one of the coaches that is also helping me with the sunday program.

5. Josh B.

Josh B. Guest

I am only 13 years old. Basically my playing style is like this. I got into badminton last year in February so I haven't played for long at all. I tend to get really excited when there is a fast paced rally so sometimes when I have a perfect net shot, I'll run up and completely miss it due to the excitement and jumpiness inside me. I was planning on going to the tryouts for the BC Junior team this past January but I thought better of it because I knew that I wouldn't be nearly good enough.

6. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    I think you should go tryout! Probably worth the experiance and you'll probably learn something new!

7. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    the ambition is there, go for it! not nearly good enough is just a state of mind, that gets reduced (notice i never say removed totally) as you improve your abilities. the main group of kids are 14-16, 13 is not too far away from that so come on in!

my daughter just turned 15, the twins are still 14.

just remember one thing - you will be in age group with other kids your age throughout your junior years. you will never be able to avoid playing them if they all continue playing - either in school tournaments or provincial/national tournaments. they will always be around. it's a small circle and the only way for you to improve is to accept that and join into it. what better way to learn to beat your opponent than by training with them constantly...

also - because i am volunteering, i got the rec center to agree to making the cost for kids around $3 per session - that's the cost of a drop-in. come-on that is a real bargain. hey - i could rather be sleeping in on a Sunday Morning!

8. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    "hey - i could rather be sleeping in on a Sunday Morning!" from badrad

or.. you could move to Toronto and start up a program here!

9. Josh B.

Josh B. Guest

Hey Badrad, maybe you can come visit White Rock Badminton club and then you'll be able to see how I play!

10. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    white rock plays on tuesday and thursday nights? i usually can't make it thursday since i am playing with the group at guildford. i could make it the other night though. can you confirm if it is tuesday, time and location (which school).

i know lawrence (we played together a few years ago in the LMBA city league) and a few of the other players there. i will try to drop by, maybe i can bring my daughter as well.

11. Josh B.

Josh B. Guest

On Tuesday nights it's at White Rock Elementary from 8 PM to 10 PM. By the way, do you know Dan, the head of our club.

12. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    stocky fellow, short red hair? can you ask him if i can bring my daughter and what is the drop in fee?

13. Josh B.

Josh B. Guest

He is kind of stocky and he does have short hair but it's not red. The thing with our club is there is one yearly fee, not a drop in fee. But Dan let's you come once for free to just see what it is like so you and your daughter could probably come on Tuesday for free.

14. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    the price sounds right - can you let him know that we will be coming.

15. Josh B.

Josh B. Guest

Will do!!

16. Lee

Lee Guest

Is the Guildford Red Centre accessible by skytrain + bus?
    Easily.

17. Lee

Lee Guest

This wouldn't happen to be right beside the Surrey Central Skytrain Station would it?

18. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    if you get off at surrey central, you need to catch a bus going east on 104 avenue. that will take you guildford mall. you need to get to the north side of the mall (there is a sport chek and Sears). cross the parking lot from sears you will see the rec center. we will be there at 9:30.

Starting next week we will be running the training on Saturday mornings 8:30 to 10 am instead of Sundays.

19. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    no - the center right next to surrey central is North Surrey and only has pool and skating rink - no gym. you need to get to guildford mall.

20. Lee

Lee Guest

Ouch
    How long's the bus ride usually?