Hillcrest Badminton Club (ottawa)

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Steven SIM, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Steven SIM

Steven SIM Guest

Someone told me that Ottawa there is a Hillcrest Badminton Club, does anyone know how do I get contact with this Club? Thanks

2. Don

Don Regular Member

I suppose you can show up there. Usually the club runs on Wednesday night I think. I play at the RA and you can have courts any time you would like, well when training is not occuring.

3. logi

logi Guest

RA is the best

4. Steven SIM

Steven SIM Guest

My friend will take me there to RA this sunday, so see you there if you will be there. By the way, is RA a regular badminton club where I can join and play regularly?
    By I have no idea where is Hillcrest Badminton Club, I don't see a place called Hillcrest on a map too?

5. Don

Don Regular Member

I've played in Colorado Springs. They've got nice facilities too. RA does have nice facilities, just a little expensive though.

6. Don

Don Regular Member

It's out near St. Laurent. RA is an elite club. Its's for the intermediate to pro level players. Very competative and very strict. There are a lot of good players there, most provincial and regional players. A few national players. That gives you a hint at what kind of level to expect.

7. Don

Don Regular Member

Hillcrest Schedule

I was talking to an associate today and found out the schedule for Hillcrest and the location. The schedule is as follows, Monday and Wednesday from 7 to 10 and the club runs from late August to late April. It's located between Altavista and St Laurent.

8. Steven SIM

Steven SIM Guest

Re: Hillcrest Schedule

If I want to go to RA center to join their club, what is the best time that I should go? Anyone in Ottawa have direction for me on how to go by bus? Thanks.

9. Don

Don Regular Member

Find a bus that goes to Billings Bridge and the RA center is a 5 minute walk from there. You can join the club at anytime. Let me warn you that if you don't know anyone in the RA, you must prove that you are good in order to play with most members. It's an elite club for the snobbish if you catch my drift.

10. Steven SIM

Steven SIM Guest

Thanks for your tips Don, I am worry that I am not up to their level of playing. By the way, when you said the Hillcrest club location, is it located in Hillcrest Hill School? Because there is a Hillcrest High School which is located in between the two place that you mention. I might try to hit the club tonight and see if that is the write place. Don wrote:

11. Steven SIM

Steven SIM Guest

There are only 1 club left in summer for Ottawa. That is the RA center, I would like to know what time is the best for me to go. I rate myself as intermediate level of player. When will it be better for me to go there, because I am now worries that they won't let me join. Can anyone tell me when is good for me...

12. Don

Don Regular Member

You can join the RA anytime you wish. The RA is always happy to take your money with a smile. The problem is, do you know anyone at the RA? How do you compare to advance club players? Keep in mind that these players play provincials and nationals. I suggest attending a walk in place to play badminton to get your bearings and to get to know people. You have to prove yourself at the RA before you are welcomed, it's like an initiation. I am not trying to scare you, but telling you what it's like. You can attend Nepean Sportsplex Sundays from 8 to 1. I play there when I am not at the RA. The cost is $2.30. It's located on the corner of huntclub west and woodroffe.

13. Steven SIM

Steven SIM Guest

Don : Thanks for your information, I guess that it for me. You are telling me the dark side of the RA club, and I guess I am not up to their level. The other one is a bit too far away for a person who live at east and don't have a car. Anyway, thanks for your information.

14. hwongc

hwongc New Member

Hello Don

I have just moved to Ottawa and I joined RA(badminton, of course) last week. When do ppl usually come to play badminton? Since I was there last Friday night and seems not many ppl around. Thanks for your info :)

15. Cruxradio

Cruxradio Regular Member

Guess they never recovered from jet-lag
    Try Monday-Thursday 6:30pm-9pm and Sunday afternoons sometimes after 3pm there are a few people around.

16. valourarc

valourarc Regular Member

Professional
    Usually Monday and Wednesdays from 6-8:30 are pretty busy. Players use feather shuttles and expect competitive games (not provincial or national level but tournament B/C level). Basically, if you can keep the bird in play and not set up the bird for an easy kill by the other side, then people will play with you these nights.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are for more recreational players--although it seems not many people show up on these days. Usually people set up games to play on these days but I've seen some people come by themselves.

But like people say, you really do have to get to know people. It's the easiest way to get games. For me, it's not how good a player you are but how good a person you are. I hate playing with/against jerks even if they are good and can provide a competitive game. I go to the RA to have fun so I don't want my mood dampened when I'm there. Don't worry about getting to know people because it's as easy as saying "hi" and remembering the person's name.

You should also ask the head-pro Mike Bitten for how the board system works. He's friendly and will answer any questions you might have.

17. hwongc

hwongc New Member

Thanks Cruxradio and valourarc. I look forward to meet with you guys soon. I will be there Wednesday then. I guess..

18. wunderbar

wunderbar Regular Member

Yeah, RA center is a nice facility but I think if you are looking for more of a fun atmosphere the local clubs are probably better. Unless you have a partner or know someone, it can be quite hard to set up a match. I think sometimes players at RA are too serious (IMO). If you want to find out more about clubs in ottawa, try http://www.badmintonottawa.com/. It has a list of clubs and the contact names of the people who run them.