Stringing Help.

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by angelwingzx, Apr 16, 2008.

1. angelwingzx

angelwingzx Regular Member

My 2 week new Yonex ArcSaber 7 had its Gosen Pro 70 string at 24lbs snap.
    Surprising, this did not happen while i was playing, it was fine after playing and i found out it snapped when i got home several hours later.
    I got it in China so i am speculating whether the strings were fake or not.
    On the strings it said Gosen Pro 70 Made in Japan.
    My friend informed me that strings don't usually say where they are made.
    I am a new player so I was wondering if anyone could inform me on a suitable string and if the snapping of my strings was due to the following, if any, possible fake string, high tension, and/or bad luck.

Thank You,
    AWX.

2. akasanva

akasanva Regular Member

That's really strange. Never heard or seen anything like that. Snapping in the bag... It may be a (really) small probability that it happens, but I would not believe that :)

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

This happened to me once. My AT900 was strung with Nanogy 95 at 30 lbs. It was sitting next to me while I was typing at the computer when I heard the tell-tale "crack" - it had snapped.

Although I was stunned initially, when I checked where it had snapped the surprise wore off: a knot had failed. Whether this was down to a jagged grommet, the knot falling through, or just bad knotting (unlikely:D) I don't know, but if a string fails "in the bag", a knot is the likely culprit; there is no reason at all that the bed should suddenly give out unless it's hit a shuttle.

It's also possible that the string was excessively stressed during stringing (by overly tight clamps, for example), which your matches over the two weeks made progressively worse. We'll probably never know...

4. angelwingzx

Well it's kinf of noticable to play while your strings snapped you know. =P

It wasn't the knot. It was the area between two holes at the top of racquet.
    This confuses me too.

5. akasanva

akasanva Regular Member

I just say it's strange that it snapped while not playing.

Anyway, does it seems to snapped in a shared grommet. Maybe the stringer used the awl to make the string goes through and damaged the string. Check also the grommet ;)

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

I believe a lot of Gosen string do have "Made in Japan" printed on the string. ;)

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

it's unusual, but not impossible i guess for strings to snap in the bag. it might be just a coincidence that it was about to snap, but you stopped playing just before it happened. then the natural string tension pulling it will constantly apply more pulling pressure on the damaged part of the string, causing it to snap in the bag when it can't take the pressure anymore. it's rare but not unrealistic.

8. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Agree with LB. My Gosen tennis string do have Japan printed on it.
    I had string snap in the bag on me 1 time before. It was a racquet for a friend. I strung it the night before and there was a little nick on the jacket. I thought it was OK since it was on main 11. Next day I gave it to her and the string has snaped in the bag over night.
    By any chance there is any shart object like keys, cell phone or other thing might nick the string?

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Or chemical accidentially sprayed onto the string :D.

10. angelwingzx

Ahhhh i see...

Nope it was in its own case with a tiny piece of paper with my friends email. i don't think a small piece of paper would've anything xD.

Nope ^^.

11. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

I also use NBG95 and have noticed that the outer shell of the string easily gets damaged when tying off a knot especially when using a half hitch to lock the tension off.