How to choose a new racquet?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by IBaddersI, Apr 18, 2008.

1. IBaddersI

IBaddersI Regular Member

School
    Hey all! I am currently using a Yonex Carbonex 10 MUSCLE SP 4966870 070642SP It weighs 112g (with overgrip), was strung at 22lbs and I was told it was medium flex or flexible. I have been playing with it for over two years now and I am looking for a new racket.

There are allot of post about people looking for “head light, stiff, 3U up to $150 racket” but how do you know what is the “best” racket for you? There must be a better way than buying 10 rackets and choosing the best and selling the rest. I live in Shropshire in the UK and I will probably have to buy my racket online as there are no good shops around my area, so I can not go to a shop and tryout rackets there.

My Info:
    Play: 3 times a week.
    Type: 75% Men’s doubles, 25% mixed doubles with plastic shuttles.
    Level: Intermediate, Hoping to play for Uni when I join in September.
    Style: Aggressive smasher.
    Durability: Important, looking for it to last at least 1 year.
    Height: 6’3”-Not sure if this makes and difference.
    Money: Up to £100 GBP

I am more interested in what type of racket to buy and why, but specific racket recommendations would be good too. If you need and more information please just ask.

Thanks in advance, Jon

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi Jon,

1) Welcome to BCBF.
    2) Yes we do face the problem of how to pick the best one for you without buying 10 racquets. What I usually suggest is to borrow racquet from your friends or demo one from the shop before you buy. If that is not the option, I wll suggest you look deep in your heart on what your playing style and what you are missing in your game. For example, you are a aggresive smasher, do you want to have even bigger and more powerful smash or do you want a little more control and finess? Also, what don't you like about your Cab10ms? There are yonex racquet charts on this forum you can find to help you and point you to a "general" direction. In general several decision factors.
    Oval (like your Cab10ms) or ISO (square head).
    Head light and head heavy (balance).
    Shaft stiffness.
    If you have some idea on what you like about the Cab10ms or dislike about it, select a racquet that can fix that issue. Think of what you like about the current racquet's good point, select one with the good points.

If you can try a YY Cab30MS. I like it very much and you can get 2 for your price point.