User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Double hit in the new rules of badminton

I heard that double hit is no longer considered as a violation in the new rules of badminton. Is it true? Anyway, I had no experience to double hit and see it during my playing so far. What is the double-hit like in badminton, generally?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the double hit has not been considered a violation for some time. The main point is that the swing has to be one continuous motion.
    for example if a person swings, nicks the shuttle sending it up into the air, then swings and hits the shuttle again, then that is a fault. However, if a person does a backhand underhand clear, first hits the shuttle with the frame, and in the same swing the shuttle then hits the strings and goes over the net, this is a legal double hit.
    hope that clears it up a little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The relevant law says:

"13. FAULTS
    It shall be a ‘fault’:

13.3 if in play, the shuttle:

13.3.7 is caught and held on the racket and then slung during the execution of a stroke;

13.3.8 is hit twice in succession by the same player. However, a shuttle hitting the head and the stringed area of the racket in one stroke shall not be a ‘fault’;

13.3.9 is hit by a player and the player’s partner successively; "

It clearly outlaws all double hits by a player, accidental or deliberate, unless the double hit takes the form of a frame and string double hit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We usually call a fault when the shuttle is double-hit or has double-touched.
    This usually happens when the pair is in the front-back formation. Happens more when defending especially.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Different people often call different things doubles hits, but they are all faults - whether successive strikes by both partners in a doubles match or two hits by the same player, unless it is a frame/string double hit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unless the double hit takes the form of a frame and string double hit.
    But.. what if the shuttle is hit with the frame, and the shuttle goes up.. then the player smashes the shuttle down with the strings.. ? That would be a fault.. right ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jhirata View Post
    But.. what if the shuttle is hit with the frame, and the shuttle goes up.. then the player smashes the shuttle down with the strings.. ? That would be a fault.. right ?
    Of course.
    Badminton isn't volleyball.

Even if the shuttle is mishit at the frame, then goes off slightly then is hit again on the strings on the same continuous movement, that's a fault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Even if the shuttle is mishit at the frame, then goes off slightly then is hit again on the strings on the same continuous movement, that's a fault.
    Er, have you not read the law that I quoted in my post above? Law 13.3.8 specifically says that a double hit on strings and frame in a single stroke is not a fault.

The scenario mentioned by Jhirata is definitely a fault, though, as it is more than one stroke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CWB001 View Post
    Er, have you not read the law that I quoted in my post above? Law 13.3.8 specifically says that a double hit on strings and frame in a single stroke is not a fault.

The scenario mentioned by Jhirata is definitely a fault, though, as it is more than one stroke.
    I did that in one of the game recently, I was faulted by a gang of none-IT-savvy good friends. I remembered this particular rule. Not to be duly delay the game I gave in. Eventually I won the game. I will print out the article 13.3.8 of Badminton rule and show them. Hopefully can EDUCATE them.

Regards,
    SCANN

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Of course.
    Badminton isn't volleyball.

Sorry. That's not how the rule is interpreted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thought it was...as long as you do so in one continuous swing...double hit is okay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skunklover View Post
    i thought it was...as long as you do so in one continuous swing...double hit is okay.
    As long as one hit is on frame, the other is on the strings and it is one stroke, then yes, it is OK. However, if it is two frame or two string hits it is a fault, even if accidental and even if it is one stroke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to put it simply, as long as i swing, and the shuttle hits the frame and stringbed in that same motion, then it's not a fault. i'm sure most of us would have had the experience, and usually both the contact timings are around the same instant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skunklover View Post
    The law changed two years ago. Previously an accidental double hit in one stroke was OK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess one way of describing it is that if the shuttle is hit at the same time in one stroke by the frame and strings, it is not considered a fault.

Unless it is not hit at the same time, ie, the shuttle is hit at the frame first followed by the strings (in succession), or vice versa, no matter how close the time difference. This is interpreted as having the shuttle hit at two different places or being hit twice and it is a fault under Law 13.3.8:

It shall be a 'fault', if in play, the shuttle:

is hit twice in succession by the same player.
    However, a shuttle hitting the head and the stringed area of the racket in one stroke shall not be a 'fault'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You seem to be contradicting yourself in that post Loh. There is nothing in the law to say that a string/frame double hit has to be simultaneous or near-simultaneous. It just says that this kind of double hit is the only one that is legal (as long as it is in one stroke).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CWB001 View Post
    You seem to be contradicting yourself in that post Loh. There is nothing in the law to say that a string/frame double hit has to be simultaneous or near-simultaneous. It just says that this kind of double hit is the only one that is legal (as long as it is in one stroke).
    Then how would you descibe it in a simpler way?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast