Shuttlecock color for TV

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Dream Hai, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Am I alone in my thinking that for the sport to attain National TV coverage that the shuttlecock has to be changed to a more visible color??? Tennis did it because they knew that TV coverage was essential to the advancement of the sport...We all love our little feathered friend but it is time to change his colors so we can see him on TV...Also the position of the cameras has to be changed...TV audience just does not get the feel for the speed of the action and new viewers would simply change the channel...These 2 things are so simple and have not been done yet...
    Another thought is that many of us play indoors in multi use facilities where the walls are light colored and it is difficult to see the shuttlecock so a change of color would help in this aspect also...

2. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    I really agree with this. I think different colored shuttlecocks should be experimented with if it can visibly improve visibility (heheh).

This is one of the reasons I love using the Yonex stencil ink on the racket stringbed - after repeated contact with the shuttlecock, the cork turns red, creating a slightly cool effect and actually helps with visibility.

(Also makes it easy to see which shuttles are mine, if hit off court)

3. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    About camera angle, each tournament does seem to have different angles - I loveeee the All England camera angles and overall coverage, but I think everyone loves it :)

I noticed that in the Hong Kong Open, and the Swiss Open, they filmed the game from a diagonal angle - I didn't mind it, but I didn't like it either. I think that a view from the rear of one court is optimal [can maybe zoom in and out a little bit], but as many angles as possible for the slow-mo replays!

4. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Camera Positions

The rear view just does not give the idea of the speed of the game...viewed from the side gives you the speed but cuts down on watching the movement of the players...combinations are needed...I liked the diagonal rear view better than the standard rear view...I really like the slow mo a lot too...England was very good coverage...all in all TV coverage sucks and has to be improved to see advancement of the sport on TV...which translates into advancement world wide esp in the "backward" thinking of U.S. viewers...:mad:am I going overboard?? sorry:D

5. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

the camera angles, possibly. but colour of the shuttlecock? personally i dont find it difficult to see the feathered guy, unless the video has poor quality.

6. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

:)You must have exceptional eyesight..my old eyes just dont see it clearly on TV...:)

7. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Some of the gyms we play in we have to use black magic marker directly on the shuttle...it would be so much easier to buy nice ones already colored...I tried some chinese ones with colored feathers and they were great for visibility but poor quality...

8. enthusiast

enthusiast Regular Member

Retired
    Shuttle color

Aside from court lighting, I find it impossible to see the bird against a white background. I know this is because I am older and am starting to get cataracts. Usually, by the time I see the bird, it is way too late. So I avoid playing in such places at all costs.

Most of the courts around here that are available to badminton are in multi-purpose gyms where the wall color is stark white. To play in such a place I would have to use a colored bird, but have never found any, aside from some cheap plastic ones. It seems such a simple solution to have nice fluorescent yellow-green (like in tennis), hot pink or orange birds. It would allow people to play a much more decent game in less than optimal settings. Why hasn't this idea been put into practice before now?
    :(

9. bobjimjoe

bobjimjoe Regular Member

yeah, actually, that is a problem, since in many clubs, there is a problem with that. also, this a a problem at high schools, since white against white can cause a person to lose a game, if they cant see the bird fly.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Fluorescent and coloured shuttlecock would be the best

Coloured fluorescent shuttlecock would be the best.

Imagine playing with a glowing shuttlecock... We will have no excuse to miss hitting it. :D:D:D

11. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Glowing shuttle

:DA glowing shuttlecock, what an idea for a new game played with dim lights.:rolleyes:
    I dont understand why the IBF does not make a change in the color...This is just being "Old Fashioned" in the extreme...Look how long it took to update the scoring system...I hope it does not take them that much longer to get in gear and get "Modern" with the shuttlecock coloring....:crying:

12. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Food coloring for shuttlecock

Has anyone tried coloring the shuttle with food coloring??? Easter eggs and now Easter shuttlecocks...????;)

13. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

Color Shuttlecock

I ask one of my badminton kaki sometime back about why there are no color shuttlecocks.

He explain that white is still the best color. The reason being at high speed, only white remains clear (as perceived by the eyes). All other colors are perceived as a blur streak.

#13 2NDround, Apr 21, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I believe the reason not many colored shuttles are introduced, is because the negative effect for the shuttle durability. I believe the chemical will reduce the feather durability much more significantly than for a tennis ball. :rolleyes:

15. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i think 2NDround makes sense. maybe producers can change the colour of the green part of the shuttlecocks? make it a bright eye-catching colour instead of the traditional green.

16. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

The eye does not perceive white any differently than say orange....I just asked my eye Dr. this question...If this were true then the tennis ball would never have been changed or the table tennis ball for that matter...I think your friend was mis-informed or my Dr. needs to go back to school...Also, White is not even seen when against a white background so how can it be the BEST...Better to see an orange blur than see nothing at all...:D

17. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

There are many ways to color the shuttle rather than using chemicals...Maybe I need to try the food coloring idea to see how it works out...

18. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Coloring the shuttlecock

Actually there might be enough color if the ball (cork) and the string holding the feathers were colored and the feathers were left white??? or maybe use colored glue when forming the string bed??? also put a spot of color on the inside of the cork....:confused:

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I don't think food color is a good idea, because the color is not permenant, and can easily make a mess. Think about the player's shirt after being hit, think about the hand/arm after the color got messed by sweat, etc...

For the image of the sport, do you want ppl to see the shuttle looks like very cheaply made, with un-even distributed color and dye ppl's shirt? :rolleyes:

20. enthusiast

enthusiast Regular Member

Retired
    I have tried food coloring and after dipping the feathers into the hot dye, I ended up with shriveled feathers. Also the color did not take too well.

Maybe just coloring the cork part would be sufficient. I am sure if the industry tried, it could come up with some way to color the poor thing.

The private courts I play at are pretty dim, but evenly lighted, with the flourescent tubes high (26') in the ceiling and the walls a dark blue. The shuttlecock visibility there is far better there than elsewere, so coloring is not needed and white is the best color. Fluorescent birds for the public courts with light walls and wood floors would make it possible for me to play there, too.

I could go on about the lighting, but that is another topic.