Finally.....

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by modious, May 1, 2002.

1. modious

modious Regular Member

I've broken my MP100.
    Well it's not exactly broken in that sense.....

It has cracked 2cm below the T-Joint / Logo.
    Now my racket head can turn about 45 degrees in 1 direction!!
    Wierd kind of breakage..... Usually pple's racket break at the frame or the handle!

Will try to post some digital photos within these 2-3 days!

2. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Modious

Actually, you missed out something ...

You can extend it about 10 millimetre more !!! :rolleyes:

3. modious

modious Regular Member

Well, finally I took some photos of my broken MP100 and MP88.
    Look!

Attached Files:

4. modious

modious Regular Member

Another...

Attached Files:

5. modious

modious Regular Member

For MP88 photos, pls refer to THIS thread.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    modious, how did you break the MP100? was it a clash?

7. drew

drew Regular Member

that happened to my friend's racket too but the crack is a lot smaller. Its not as big as yours and you can only see the paint crack. He slammed it on his ankle in fustration.

8. modious

modious Regular Member

It wasn't a clash with rackets. I think I might be hitting the head of the racket on the floor too often when hitting a shot to my front (backhand side) when I lunge forward.
    Then I noticed a hairline crack around the tee joint and soon it became bigger and bigger until it broke and became like what you see now in the pics!

9. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    Wah.. now the i must be more careful...

10. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I guess it is all abt the vibrations. If u string ur racket decently high i.e 25-26 + then such fine vibrations when u hit the Ground over a period of time will cummulate and then rupture the frame. I guess the Angle of contact is also a very important factor when it comes to such frame damages. I have seen it happen in a lot of Old rackets but never in a Mp 100.

Sometimes the head cracks more than the shaft as the angle is slightly skewed. But then If u have been hitting the head at the corrct angle over a period of time I guess the shaft will crack under the stress it gies through. Stringing Quiet often also adds a bit of Masala to it.

11. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    Yogi.. are u saying it is something to do with resonance???a bit confused here...

12. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

What is resonance? I think I have heard of something called resonance in my Younger Life when u hit a piece of U shaped Metal onto a rubber and hear for Noise it makes. If that is what resonance is then something remotely small happens to ur racket when u hit the floor or soemthing like that.

Have u noticed tennis players Breaking rackets. sometimes they just Bounce of the Ground and still in shape even though They were thrown the ground with the side of teh frame hitting teh ground straight on. But when a Guy Hits His racket Holding it IT WILL DEF BREAK.

It is all abt Vibrations and thinsg like that. As i am a layman i can best express it in this fashion. Pls forgive me if it leaves soem ambiguity in ur head.

It is very imp to nte how Vibrations travel through ur raclet and where it will fracture and how. U can break a Racket stringing it or while cutting the Guts too. I guess uc an call it pressure and how it is released ....

I knwo i soudn vague as my linguistic ability restricts me to express what i have on my head. I shall think abt it again and then try to pen what ithink in understandable english terms. I am not good ast using Technical jargons to help my cause either.

13. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    Its ok Yogi... as long as other people can understand what u are trying to say.. then its good enuff.. =)

How should i explain resonance... every thing has its own natural frequency.. and when there is other frequency which has the similar frequecy, then the maximum amount of energy will be transferred.. HAve u heard of the case of the collapse of the bridge becuase of the marching shoulders... The bridge collapsed because the frequency of the steps of marching shoulders when they were on top of the bridge corresponds with the natural frequency of the bridge.. As maximum amount of energy is transferred to the bridge.. then it collapsed.. I guess it is an example of resonance....

So do u think it is the phenomenon that may cause the BREAK??? =)

14. modious

modious Regular Member

Talking about this broken MP100....

I went to a shop recently who told me that they can help me to replace my MP100 with Yonex Sunrise. Dunno how true is that!!
    I don't have time these few weeks to go back to that shop and pass them my racket.

15. wunderbar

wunderbar Regular Member

That happened to my Aerotus 88 like 8-10 years ago. I don't recall if there was a crack when I got it shipped from HK new but after a few months. I noticed a line in that same area but thought it was just the paint...next thing I knew it got worse and the had would start turning...I probably should of sent it back to Yonex..wonder if they would of been covered under warranty? Anyway, sad to hear as that is a nice racquet.

16. Reynar

Reynar Regular Member

Student
    In reference to Yogi and Sporty's comments: Forget resonance isn't hitting the racquet on the ground bad enough.:D

17. Bonn

Bonn Regular Member

Engineer
    Since this racquet is head heavy, IMO is that either the tension of the string had been overstrung that the force might have been 'accumulated' near the T-Joint (theoretically) when you try to do some power smashes (F1=F2 Newton's 2nd law?) but since the T-Joint had been rein-enforced, the only weakest point is to go further down which your photo shows is the thinnest part.

Guess these MP racquets got a limit to how much tension should be applied to the physical frame. Over do it, the force will be too overwhelming for the racquets (over the design safety factor), Under do it, you don't get any performance out of these racquets. Best is to follow to the specified requirements and maybe alittle more tension say 10-15 percent should not 'kill' your racquets.

So does that make sense from an engineering point of view?

18. modious

modious Regular Member

Re: Talking about this broken MP100....

I'm waiting for my new MP100 SP to come soon.... :D