Tennis Elbow -- Recovery

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by kimdongmoon, Apr 21, 2008.

1. kimdongmoon

kimdongmoon Regular Member

Sales Executive
    Finally I have been recovered from "annoying" tennis elbow which I believe all the badminton players hate it and hate it .....
    I can share with you all my experience or you can PM me for more information.

2. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

I've just started getting it a few months ago, and it is really annoying.

How did you treat it? Is it gone for good now?

3. kimdongmoon

Sales Executive
    Good that you can treat it at early stage before it more complex.
    Last time I do try accupuncture for about 4 times. As you know, normally accupuncture will help for me. But this time, it's just temporary relieve and it comes back again. And I can feel my muscle spasm sometimes with sharp pain.

After that I also go to those physiotherapy at Government hospital, but I tell you .... it's really go for nothing, just wasting our money. Just give you a piece of paper and follow the instruction for exercise (which I also have done it on my own in my gym) :)

Finally I go to a private physiotherapy who deal with sports injury. He personally a sports player, so he understand it better.
    He do a deep tissue massage on the affected area, then follow by ultra wave treatment and seal it rubbber band. And of course I need to strengthen the muscle around that area with some exercises. If you muscle inflame, you can help it with inflamatory gel.

He said may be my racket is too heavy and blame the grip is too small. And I absolutely agree with it. :)

Then next week I can start play again. hehe

4. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    I am reviving this thread in the hopes that somebody will read it.

I think I have been suffering from tennis elbow for three weeks now. I'm not sure if it is indeed tennis elbow. I've searched the web and I have experienced some of the symptoms listed in the site, but not all.

I can describe my pain through the following:
    --- the pain is concentrated in my upper forearm, the part nearest the elbow

--- the pain is only felt with a certain wrist motion, that is, with my arm parallel to the ground and with the palm facing downward, when I use my wrist to raise my hand, that's when it hurts

--- it does not hurt just by lifting objects, even the heavy ones

--- the pain is tolerable (or maybe I just have a high pain threshold)

what do you think? is this tennis elbow?

do you have any home remedies?

Please help :( :confused:

5. JohnWeighn

JohnWeighn New Member

Hey,
    I was so sick of my tennis elbow that I scoured the internet looking for something to help me. Eventually I checked out this supplement that is supposed to help with joint flexibility and recovery, its called micosamine.

Its made from dehydrated cow milk. I took it on a consistent basis for about a month before my elbow had more give. Its not a miracle and I wasn't 100 percent better but it does help your elbow's longevity in games.

Here are some of the links and studies i bookmarked when i was reseraching it.

http://www.nutraingredients.com/news/ng.asp?n=78713&m=1NIE802&c=nlymlzmqozzac

Burke D.G., Chilibeck P.D., Davidson K.S., Candow D.G., Farthing J., Smith-Palmer T. (2001) The effect of whey protein supplementation with and without creatine monohydrate combined with resistance training on lean tissue mass and muscle strength. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 11:349-364.

Hope this helps :)

6. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
  7. cards_pro

cards_pro Regular Member

I agree. The exercise works for me.

Also, I have an Ultra Sound device. It helps relief the pain.
    (It is called Sonic Relief in case you want to know.)

8. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Thanks for the replies.

I already went to see the doctor and she scheduled me for PT sessions. I've already had three sessions, and so far, it's getting better. What the PT does is connect my arm to an electrical stimulator for a couple of minutes, and then ultrasound it, and then massage it. I also take 2 pain killers. I'll have my follow-up check up late this June.

I hope I get better soon. c",)

9. kimdongmoon

Sales Executive
    Keep massaging your elbow and halt for badminton temporarily. Do some light weight training to slowly strengten the muscle around your elbow. It takes about 1-1.5 months to recovery, depends on how severe your tennis elbow is.

10. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    thanks thanks :)

11. scann

scann Regular Member

IT - Software
    Enjoying my smash/drive after paying a visit to Pharmacy

I have been suffering from Tennis Elbow for the last 6 months. Last week I went to a Pharmacy store to ask for help. The pharmacist recommended me a magic gel (see image) and ask me to stop playing for a few months.

I told him no way I will stop playing for that long. I told him I will be playing next Monday. With that he recommended me a 'magic' band (similar to my smaller wrist band).

I tried it last Monday, I was surprised that after wearing the band I do not feel any pain at all. I can smash/drive/tap without pain at all. I would recommend this band if you are Tennis Elbow sufferer and would like to enjoy the game. The healing might take longer.

SCANN

Attached Files:

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    ahhh, a lefty:p

13. scann

scann Regular Member

IT - Software

Attached Files:

14. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    I also wore something like this, only that it is of a different brand and is elastic instead of a strap. I used vigel cream. After 3 visits from the physical therapist and constant use of the band and vigel cream, my tennis elbow diminished after just a week. I didn't even break my regular playing habit, i.e, 2 to 3 times a week.

15. scann

scann Regular Member

IT - Software
    Thanks for the info. Now I can tell my Tennis elbow sufferer friends that this method is working. Can't wait for my Tennis Elbow to recover. Today is my second time wearing the band. I only apply the cream for 4 days and I can feel it is getting better.

16. DownUnder

DownUnder Regular Member

I also suffered from golfer's elbow and it's now almost 100% . Just have to watch myself not to over do it.. Here is some tips for others..
    ** The strap helps ALOT by absorbing the vibrations (vibrations cause pain and inflammation) but will not cure it, need to give it time and rest..
    ** massage it with anti-inflammatory cream and massage cream few times a day and do stretches to the forearm a lot.. (Don't over stretch)
    And when I started playing again after about 3 weeks rest, I stratch and message the forearm for few miniutes and put on the strap before the warmup hits, changed my racket (not too stiff), G5 grip so that I can put on thick soft grip over it (Before G4 size with thin over grip), REDUCE the string tension ..Did all this to reduce vibrations and I think it helped me alot..After about 3 months I stopped using the strap and all ok now..I still massage and stratch it before and after the games..Hope this helps..

17. szekt

szekt Regular Member

The voltaren emulgel contains diclofenac which is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory agent; it is just another topical anaesthesia; dont know how much additional help the straps provide though:)

18. passtome

passtome Regular Member

conguration all of u.for my case,a bit different,maybe consider better a bit,but when play badminton,still got paint,i think will stop play already,have c quick a lot few doctor also same thing

19. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    I never had any luck with the suppot straps that go around the arm below the elbow. Could just be me, a lot of people swear by them. I just adjusted my play by using my wrist for smashes and clears. I havn't had a twinge out of it on the court for about 2 months, but picking up heavy objects and holding my arm a right angle often leaves me wincing.

20. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    I have had a golfers elbow peviously. Some of the causes of sustaining a tennis or golfers elbow are, holding the handle too tightly, (loosen your grip). Incorrect handle size, grip size itself are also common causes. A golfers elbow is very painful and can take months to heal if not correctly seen to by a sports physio.