No love for gloves?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by RacquetRyan, Apr 22, 2008.

1. RacquetRyan

RacquetRyan Regular Member

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I could not find anyhting when I did a search of the site. :confused:

► Why don't badminton players wear gloves?

Racquetball players almost all use gloves to improve grip and racquet control. It seems like the added grip of a glove could be helpful in badminton as well. Is there some reason I never see badminton players using racquetball-style gloves?

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Rackets weigh less and you loose feeling/ touch with gloves and I'm sure you agree finesse plays a bigger part in badminton than in in racquetball ...

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i have seen some players using racketball or golf gloves but they are usually C or lower players:p Half of LD's racket grip is wood.

4. RacquetRyan

RacquetRyan Regular Member

:D I'm not that good....

I play like a

[​IMG]

in a

[​IMG]

5. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    Wearing a white glove while playing used to be an "in" thing at some of the highschools in our district that we visited back in the late 80's.

When we arrived at those schools for tournaments it was "Wow!!! I think we are in trouble. They all wear white shorts and shirts! They all wear round metal glasses with antireflective coating! They have real badminton shoes! Carbonexes everywhere... with neon strings and tie-die grip! AND they where white gloves!"

Eventually, we found they weren't that good but that combination really had us worried. I still see some of these remaining people at the local centres and at one of them still wears a glove.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Why would you need added grip?

If you use sweat bands and some kind of drying agent (say, liquid chalk), there's no need for added grip.

I would certainly not feel happy wearing a glove. It would affect the sensitivity of my grip.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    glove used in badminton is just a gimmick.

playing badminton properly requires constant grip changes and finger movements. check out the grip guide and see how many possible grips there can be and those don't even cover finger movements.

putting on glove will hinder not only the grip/finger movements but also kill away any feel/feedback from the racket. imho that's totally insensible and i will lead a boycott of any company who starts to market gloves to badminton.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i think there could be an past exception to this. Back in the old old days, the rackets were heavy and the factory grip is prolly just a thin piece of leather or maybe none at all. Nowadays, rackets are lighter, we have excellent overgrip materials making gloves unneccessary. It is cheaper to change overgrip than gloves. Also, gloves can make your palm even more sweaty.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    cooler, maybe back in the 60's/70's where rackets are 100+ grams. but from the 80's on, sub 100g rackets are fine. i am using one regularly.

even so, looking at the 70's, 60's videos, i don't see anybody using gloves.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

what about 30's, 40's and 50's?;)
    the 70's is a new era:D
    maybe u were still too young to watch public badminton in the 60's

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    perhaps we should examine why racquet ball needs gloves. for all i know, racquet ball is the only racket sport that people wear gloves regularly.

i have not seen tennis, badminton, squash players wearing gloves. tennis and squash rackets are much heavier than badminton so the weight itself seems irrelevant.

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

yes, today's racket players do away with gloves except racketball. My guess is that badminton, squash and even tennis required decent amount of finger control but racketball is just a powergame, one cant control the spin of a moving racketball ball.

The best example is golf: most pros use glove on their non club hand for power, while gloveless for their club hand for better control. When putting no golfer uses glove. It all come down to power versus control

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

for those who still use a glove for squash or badminton, i guess they are squeezing their grip too tightly in hope to maximize power but with poor technique so that their palm/fingers dont get abrasion burn.

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..have you been playing golf, cooler??..How come you know all this stuff??..:confused: ;)

15. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Actually, it is the other way. Right-hander's club-hand is their left-hand. So, you wear glove on the left-hand or the club hand. The reason golfers wear glove is because most grip are very hard and rough. If you don't, you get blister on your hand. A friend of mine put tennis grip on his golf clubs :)

Back to badminton, many good players that I saw tense to move their fingers a lot. Such quick movement is a lot tougher with with glove.

BTW, I've played against one guy wearing a half-cut glove (only on the palm but not the fingers). That might be a good compromise for those like to wear one.

16. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I have a solution. Put Karakal PU Supergrip on it. You might need two of them to cover the whole handle. :D..

I put an old ashaway replacement grip on my grandmother's umbrella.. :)

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

that's why i like science, it works everywhere in this dimension:p
    it is human beings that make things complicated:p

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

it basically what i mean. Right hand golfer tends to put glove on their left hand. I play some golf but dunno all the exact terms used in golf. To me, a right hander should able to swing the club and hit the ball with his right hand much better than from only his left hand because poorer control.

to the real pro-goflers, they dont squeeze the iron grip that hard. They actually use lotta finger for power + control. In golf, the best golfers are the one who can putt and hitting approach shots consistently and accurately. Having great tee shots is lesser important. Drive for show but putt for dough.