Tennis elbow

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by ZXZ, May 1, 2002.

1. ZXZ

ZXZ Regular Member

Student
    I've been having pains in my lower arm for about 3 weeks now but never really thought anything of it, but last night played with a heavier racquet then normal and when I tried to play 2day it really hurt felt like it was gonna exploding from the inside. Talked to my PE teacher and she said it was tennis elbow with all the right symtoms and said I should rest it for at least a month, I was horrified by this, 1 month with no badminton!? Does any1 know how long I should reast it and what will aid my recovery, also does the grip size make a difference?

2. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    One or two weeks should be good enough, but i guess 1 month it would heal for sure and properly.

There's a lot of sites on the internet about tennis elbow maybe u should look some of it up.

3. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Richmond, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
    I have my golfer elbow pain for more than 3 months now and have no sign of getting better. It is really upsetting me.

4. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    did u see a doctor?

5. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    i recommend waiting a week, but if that's not possible, keep it on ice whenever u have a break in between games.. (like i did at my ofsaa qualifier... but it wasn't really tennis elbow..)

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Try the search function.

Tennis elbow has been discussed before with some useful info there.

Grip size does affect tennis elbow. Large grips make people grip the racquet tighter with the handle right up to the palm.

Reexamine your grip. Many people don't realise holding the racquet in the fingers allows better range of movement and control. If your fingers aren't used to the feeling, they will do. It's just a matter of practice (like chopsticks)

7. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Thank you Chia and Nanashi. I did see doctors (more than one), undergo ice (or hot) treatment and apply a lot of pain killer. The only conclusion is to retire from badminton until it fully recovers.

However, I was deserved to be pain, because once in a while I steal one or two games of badminton even though I had tried to forbidden any forehand drives/smashes as far as possible.

Thus, as advice to myself, complete rest is the only way to cure pain caused by playing badminton.

This answers to ZXZ as well.

8. LIPlayer

LIPlayer Regular Member

My experience may be helpful to some. Two and half months ago, I overexert myself with heavier racket as my original racket was gone for restring. As a result my upper arm muscle started hurting.

My pain was so much that I could not smash or even clear to third line. My hand started shaking while serving. I had to give walk over in semis due to this pain. I saw doctor who recommended physical therapist. For one month, I had dozen of sessions with PT, spend hundreds of dollars in therapy and medicines and miss out games for weeks but pain never fully gone. At times, I thought that I am cured but after few games pain seems to always come back.

Finally, I purchased dumbbell set and started training my racket arm muscle slowly. To my surprise within two weeks pain was gone. My smashes were back. From last one month, I am back with more power in my smashes and returns with no muscle pain.

My advice to players who have muscle pain to look into weight lifting if their muscles are not strong enough to handle badminton routines.

9. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    I had serious pain on my elbow before and as usual, doctors recommend ice and lots of rest. Didn't help much. I went for acupunture treatment, and whala! I was able to play tennis, badminton within a week. I never had any pain since and that was many years ago.
    Last year, while playing golf, my left elbow gave me pain, just like my right elbow before. I have not played golf since last year and did had a lot of rest. Last week, I hit some golf balls and the pain seems to come back. I'm thinking of going for acupunture teatment again.
    I don't know about your guys, but I'm thinking more about alternative medicine which seems to help me.

10. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Xuser:

Is it really true that acupunture treatment can help? I must give it a trial.

11. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    I see you're from Richmond, BC. Well, I had my elbow looked at in Vancouver when I used to live in Richmond. My sis brought me to this Chinese doctor who performed acupunture for me. As there is no scientific proof in the world of western medicine, I cannot say much except that it works for me 3 times already.

1. My right knee
    2. My right tennis elbow, and
    3. My right shoulder

Next, I'm going for my left tennis elbow. I'm pretty sure it will help a lot :cool:

12. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Xuser:

If that possible to disclose this Chinese doctor for reference?
    If you do, you can send it to private message of this forum.

Thanks.

13. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Hi Mark. I will have to check with my sis who still lives in Richmond. I only got my right tennis elbow looked at by him. The other acupunture doctors I went to were two different ones. One from Singapore when I was living there and one from here in Brandon, Manitoba.
    All I can say in my point of view is, don't go to those acupunture so called "expert" that uses pads instead of needles. Those needles are so small that you don't really feel them anyways. Will get back to you on this.

14. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Xuser:

Thanks.