Training vs. Game experience

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jaysee, Jan 6, 2001.

1. Jaysee

Jaysee Guest

Hey all!
    I consider myself a fairly good badminton player (my strokes are consistent and the usual stuff you expect). I train around 3-4 times a week (not including the times I do running to build endurance).

The bad thing is that I feel I have hit a barrier of improvement. Do I need more training or is more game experience necessary? What's necessary for my next "breakthrough" so to speak?

Jaysee

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Have u considered tactics? Perhaps under certain situations, you may be playing quite predictable shots but not realising it. It may not occur with every match but only against certain player styles.
    Have u tried recording one of your own games in competition and then analysing what went wrong? It can be a painful experience...

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Guest

Hey Cheung! ..thanx for the tips

it is true though..sometimes when doing hitting drills (such as smash - net shot) or two play ones, it gets repetitive and thats all you end up doing in a game instead of mixing up shots.

4. vince poon

vince poon Guest

It lot easier to improve from beginner to intermediate but it gets harder as you get better like going from intermediate to advance. The best way is to find a coach to point out your weakness, the problem is everybody like to coach, so you have sort out who is legitimate and who is full of BS. I was in your position too, I start to beat everybody where I play so I didn't really analysed my game. When you win, you don't see your weakness until you get your ass kick and that what happen to me. Someone rank in the top 10 in my province beat me silly, so I replay the whole game in my head. I see there are many area for me to improve on especially covering the court. So everytime I play game, I don't play to win but play to improve certain aspect of my game, it's lot better than doing drill and more drill.

5. viver

viver Regular Member

My opinion is your goal and motivation. What are your objectives and how do you rate your training suitability towards your objectives? If you practice 3/4 times a week and also addtional time to care for your fitness, you should have objectives. Probably if you prioritize your objectives and make some adjustments in your training plans you should be able to get through the "improvement barrier".

Good luck

6. read a book

read a book Guest

buy a coaching book

buy a coaching book