Two different AT500s ?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by kitseb, Apr 23, 2008.

1. kitseb

kitseb Regular Member

Consultant
    I have two AT500s one old (2006) one new (2007) colours. I have them both strung at the same tension and have the same number of over-grips. But I just don't like the feel of the new one - I always prefer the old model. The new racket feels so different (heavier) that I don't use it at all. Is this normal? They are both genuine rackets not fakes.

I'm now considering buying another racket. After 2 years of playing with AT500 I still like it, but I would prefer if it was a bit quicker. I also play with NS6000 but it's a bit too flexible. So ideally I'd like a mix of the two - medium flex and balanced. I'm thinking about the Victor Dual Pipe 8000 (tried it for 10 mins & liked it - but that's not long enough to judge properly), and also the Victor Artery Tech Ti 98 - but I'm concerned that at 93g that its too heavy. Has anyone tried either of these?

2. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

What weight was the AT500's you've used? If 3u, then you may want to try a 4u version which should be quicker.

Otherwise a Sotx Woven 9 would be worth trying, light weight, and moderately headheavy (think its probably about the same/less head heavy than the old At500). It's a fast racket which also gives good offense.

3. kitseb

kitseb Regular Member

Consultant
    Thanks for the recommendation, but SOTX are not that easy to get hold of here. I can easily buy Yonex, and Victor, Karakal so I tend to buy those. I would prefer a Victor because I've had a lot of Yonex rackets and want to try something different without breaking the bank - for me that's under 100 Euros! :rolleyes:

Both the AT500s are 3U, again due to availability - the 4U just wasn't an option.

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

no sotx in belgium?
    www.nicoclaes.com
    and in holland there's one as wel...

but at500's are 3U? weird...

5. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

I'd recommend you contact the SOTX dealer in Holland. It's a very friendly guy, and he'll definitely try and help you find the SOTX which suites you best. Apart from his superb service, the shipping won't cost a huge lot either.
    Why not check out his site: www.sotxsports.nl. It's still under construction, but that doesn't matter. Just contact him personally.
    SOTX produces lots of different rackets, and each one is different. You should definitely be able to find one. They are very durable, and can take high tensions. Look good aswell.

Hope you'll find the solution to your problem soon,
    Feng

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    time to move up to the 800de or 900t

7. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Regular Member

How would you compare AT500 with the above rackets? I'm thinking of making a similar transition for quite sometime myself. Any opinions?

8. kitseb

kitseb Regular Member

Consultant
    I'm looking at the two websites for SOTX - I hadn't found them before thanks!!! :D:D:D

The Belgium shop seems to have OK prices too, I didn't know about it because I haven't seen them at tournaments (I only play a few), and no-one from our club uses it. So I'll give SOTX a go.

9. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

That's the crappy yonex europe marketing for you - All yonex rackets in the UK are 3UG3, except for the AT900s 4ug4. Don't mind the weight as much, but I hate the G3!

10. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, g3's are annoying. i guess they're targeted at european hands which are larger, but the least they could have done was provide an option for a smaller grip size.

11. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

Well said :D:D!
    Just got a 2nd hand NS8k (UK coded 3ug3:mad:)for my wife and spent much of last night sanding it down to around a g4 size (probably slightly larger than g4, but compensated for it with two layers of thin overgrip instead of the thicker original/replacement grips)

Anyway, back on subject - kitseb, I would definitely recommend the Woven 9 as an alternative to the AT500 (light, quick and moderately endloaded ->good attacking doubles racket:D, also relatively cheaper than most newer rackets). No trouble at all changing from the AT500 to the W9 for me.

For me, the Woven 9 strung with BG80 at 24lbs rocked; until I broke it:(.

12. kitseb

kitseb Regular Member

Consultant
    Thats a relief :), as I'm about to order a (hopefully bright red) W9A from the NL dealer (I assume that's Jerby?).

13. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

Or rather "SUPERJERBY" ;):p, he's got a short story behind that! IMO I like the 9A color over the 9

14. jerby

jerby Regular Member

please..please don't make me explain where "jerby" came from...
    Because I have no idea :p.. some friend (from badminton) suddenly came up with it when we were 10 or so...
    It stuck ;)

And yes, your racket is candy cane red ;)

15. kitseb

kitseb Regular Member

Consultant
    Well thats sold it - after all, colour is everything :p