Are badminton shoes worth it?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by BlankShot, Apr 24, 2008.

1. BlankShot

BlankShot Regular Member

I play my fair share of badminton, and I've started to think about my equipment. Does badminton shoes really make a difference in your game play? Currently my friends and I use running shoes, except for one of my friends (who's a really competitive player and won many badminton competitions). The only difference I see when I compare his shoes to mine are that his are lighter, that's about it. I haven't tried them on because his feet are smaller than mine.

I currently use a pair of comfy running shoes. Should I change to badminton shoes? Is it worth it overall? How does wearing badminton shoes compare to wearing running shoes, and what are the benefits?

Thanks.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Badminton shoes are special designed for the sport of badminton, which usually offers better grip (for indoor court surfaces), better side support and lighter. Other shoes might be ok, if you play more for fun, but during competitive play (which involves much more high speed movement and direction changes), lackness of side support and grip not only drag down your performance, also might be very risky, and result into injuries (sprain ankle, etc). Out of all the "alternate" choices, personally I believe running shoes are the worst in general, which does not offer enough side support, and very slippery for indoor surfaces. Many clubs won't even allow you to get on court, unless your shoes are non-marking indoor shoes.

It's your own decision whether to get proper badminton shoes. Yes, it can be a bit more pricy, but in a long run (especially if you plan to play competitively or taking proper training) it's worth every penny. It will improve your game, and more important, protect you from injuries.

You don't have to go for the latest, high end Yonex ones, which can be over $100. Many manufacture offers cheaper models, and even Yonex mid to lower end models are much more affordable. I believe you can get a decent pair for no more than $50-60 range.

3. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

Yes - badminton shoes are generally lighter, and also give far superior grip on the court compared to running shoes - have a look at Dinkalot's shoe review for further info

4. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    yes if your serious about badminton, and serious about not injuring yourself buy a pair of badminton shoes. the benefits are:
    -low to ground contact = better feedback
    -better traction on courts
    -more support for lateral and reverse movement (when you run, you run in one direction : straight. their not made for badminton)
    -more durability compared to using running shoes for badminton, again since their not made to handle the type of movement, i see alot of players getting wholes and rips on the sides of running shoes
    -pervent injuries, since your low to ground, they have good 360 degree ankle support.

anyone want to add any im forgetting?
    yes they are usually lighter, more flexible

5. BlankShot

BlankShot Regular Member

Ok, So I guess I should get me a pair of badminton shoes, cause my goal is to try out (and make it) on my school's badminton team next year. :D

Anyone have any recommendations of shoes within a 80 ~ 100 dollar price range?

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you have access to badminton pro shop, make sure try it before purchase. You need to select the shoes fits for you, too big/small, or too wid/narrow will not only hurt ur game, but also your feet. ;)

7. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Running shoes are the worse for badminton. Second worse it the cross trainer.

8. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Shoes are the most important equipment in badminton. Always get a right pair to protect your feet.

9. Marshmallow64

Marshmallow64 Regular Member

You can go with the SHB-41 from Yonex, it is only like 45 bucks a pair, very cheap and a good starter shoe. As you get more into badminton then you can upgrade.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    are they worth it? they are the most important piece of equipment you can buy for badminton. i'd rather play with a $20 racket than to play with a pair of running shoes. with running shoes, sooner or later you will twist and sprain your ankle on it and after that you can forget about making into any badminton team.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badminton-central/content/view/91/33/

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Get a pair of Mizuno badminton shoes :).

12. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

you're better off with court shoes and all kinds of brands have court shoes. now there's a difference between tennis shoes and court shoes... just make a note of that.
    i use to own a pair of NIKE courts and they were very comfortable and lightweight... i guess the key to any badminton shoes is that it should be lightweight, comfortable and good grip on the sole of the shoes.
    but now i have yonex badminton shoes, i dont really very difference... i just feel confident... haha.

also like many of the above posts... as long as they protect your foot and can adjust to the various badminton movements... so that you won't injure yourself. good lucK!

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Do not wear your Badminton shoes outside in the streets

Yes !!! :):):) Do not wear Badminton shoes outside in the streets.

Wear your running shoes (or any other shoes) when you go for your Badminton sessions, and then change them to your Badminton shoes only when inside the Badminton hall.

This will maintain the better traction of your Badminton shoes.

14. carltex

carltex Regular Member

If You Want To Get New Shoes ,why Not Go For High Range?i Mean Good Shoes Can Stand At Least To 2year.cheap Range Maybe Can Stand About Half-years

15. wocdam

wocdam Regular Member

Professional
    good shoes can last 2 years??? maybe the uppers and the outsole. but if you play like 6-8 hours a week, the cushioning will be gone in 6 months.

16. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

My SOF cushioning insoles had holes in them after two months.. :crying:..
    What's a really durable, comfortable and cushionny insole ? SuperFeet Green?

17. otterfun

otterfun Regular Member

financial analyst
    From an american view point:
    my insurance co-pay is $20 for each physical therapy session.

If I injured my ankle because I did not have proper protection, I do not think 5 sessions of PT will be enough which is $100 +.

I have SHB 100Ltd, a very good pair of shoes with great side and bottom (insole) support. Had it since Nov. '07. Still looks new.

I tried tennis shoes but it was too stiff, heavy and grippy on the indoor courts.

My badminton shoes are light and very breathable - a great investment if you ask me. I got my shoes before spending money on my rackets when I picked up badminton in October after some 10+ years of rest (since High School).

18. wocdam

wocdam Regular Member

Professional
    i'm using SHB80, with stock insoles. you can try Sole footbeds. they are good!!! i use them with my Victor VT71, great combination.

19. loggietoh2003

loggietoh2003 Regular Member

Army Officer
    I guess by now you already know what best for you. A piece of advise, dun be stingy with shoes because you are walking everyday & they are in constant contact with any type of surfaces compared to other parts of your body.

20. 2007fp

2007fp Regular Member

Student
    Is worth it, not to mention that badminton shoes are design for in door court use, while running shoes is not. You will notice a big performance difference between running shoes and badminton shoes(or even indoor court shoes)

As well as badminton shoes can lower the chance of injury or slippage compare to running shoes.

For where you get it, just go to any pro shop and ask try their shoes on, for your budget there is quite a few available.

You might want to look at apacscanada for their shoes.

Also when picking a badminton shoes is different than picking a casual day-day shoes, make sure is tight enough so you don't have movement within the shoes, and remember shoes will get loosen up after a game or two.

In short, go out and buy a badminton shoes if your planning to devote your time in badminton.