Thomas/Uber Cup News..

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2008' started by george@chongwei, Apr 24, 2008.

1. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

u can post the whole artiicles about TC/UC here..;):)
    if u are posting other languages than english, then u shud do some translation..:p:)

2. george@chongwei

Rexy: No advantage for Indonesia despite new line-up

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: Indonesia have thrown up two surprises – excluding second-ranked pair of Alven Yulianto-Luluk Hadiyanto and naming the scratch pair of Candra Wijaya-Nova Widianto – for the Thomas Cup Finals.
    The decision has elicited mixed response from Malaysia’s national doubles coach Rexy Mainaky.
    While surprised by Indonesia’s decision to drop Alven-Luluk, he appeared cool over the inclusion of Candra-Nova, who reached the final of last week’s Asian Badminton Championships (ABC) in Johor Baru.
    Candra-Nova will join reigning world champions Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan and youngsters Joko Riyadi-Hendra Gunawan for the Finals, which will be held in Jakarta from May 11-18.
    Said Rexy: “I am surprised with the decision to drop Alven-Luluk although I think Indonesia made a wise decision. They have taken into consideration the results from last week’s ABC, which saw Candra-Nova beating Alven-Luluk.
    “I am not worried about the inclusion of Candra-Nova. Our Malaysian pairs did not get a chance to play against Candra-Nova. I would have been worried if they had beaten our pair.”
    Despite the surprise line-up, Rexy said he did not think that Indonesia would hold an advantage.
    “Indonesia’s only advantage now is being the host of the Finals. Most of the players have not had a chance of playing against Candra-Nova while their youngsters (Joko-Hendra) will be more than motivated to prove themselves but there is no guarantee that these players will win,” Rexy said.
    “All our three pairs can give their opponents a good fight. It is still open.”
    Despite a change in the ranking of players, Rexy said that Malaysia could catch many by surprise by switching around their doubles line-ups during the Finals.
    Malaysia’s top three men’s doubles pairs are world No. 5 Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah, Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong (world No. 6) and Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif (No. 11).
    “These pairs have beaten each other. They have beaten other top pairs too. I can field any of these pairs and still hope for a good outcome. It does not put pressure on one particular pair,” said Rexy.
    “This reminds me of my time with the Indonesian Thomas Cup squad in 2000 (in Malaysia). All our three men’s pairs were strong. We could depend on one another. We shared the burden. This will make the difference for our Malaysian team this year.”
    Malaysia’s three top singles players for the Finals are Lee Chong Wei, Wong Choong Hann and Mohd Hafiz Hashim.
    The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) will name the fourth singles during their coaching and training committee meeting today. Three players – Mohd Arif Abdul Latif, Tan Chun Seang and KLRC Bhd’s Lee Tsuen Seng – are in the running for the final spot.
    (Only players ranked within the top 20)
    l China
    Singles: Lin Dan (1st), Bao Chunlai (3rd), Chen Jin (4th), Chen Yu (12th).
    Doubles: Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng (2nd), Guo Zhengdong-Xie Zhongbo (9th).
    l Indonesia
    Singles: Sony Dwi Kuncoro (6th), Taufik Hidayat (7th), Simon Santoso (15th).
    Doubles: Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan (1st), Alven Yulianto-Luluk Hadiyanto (7th), Joko Riyadi-Hendra Gunawan (17th).
    l Denmark
    Singles: Kenneth Jonassen (5th), Peter Gade-Christensen (8th), Joachim Persson (18th).
    Doubles: Lars Paaske-Jonas Rasmussen (8th), Jens Eriksen-Martin Lundgaard Hansen (12th), Mathias Boe-Carsten Morgensen (15th).
    l South Korea
    Singles: Park Sung-hwan (10th), Lee Hyun-il (11th).
    Doubles: Jung Jae-sung-Lee Yong-dae (3rd), Lee Jae-jin-Hwang Ji-man (10th).
    l Malaysia
    Singles: Lee Chong Wei (2nd), Wong Choong Hann (14th), Mohd Hafiz Hashim (22nd).
    Doubles: Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah (4), Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong (5), Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif (13).
    (Note: Indonesia have dropped their second- ranked pair Alven-Luluk and named scratch pair Candra Wijaya-Nova Widianto).

3. AlfredEarn

AlfredEarn Regular Member

Bill Gates' teacher, Professor of Oxford and Headm
  4. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The news George posted was from today's the Star :
    http://www.thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2008/4/25/sports/21060558&sec=sports

Ng Hui Lin is back in action, good news for our WD & XD in 2012 OG :
    :D:D

The Star Online > Sports
    Friday April 25, 2008

Hui Lin set to make Uber Cup debut after change of heart

KUALA LUMPUR: Over a month ago, national back-up doubles shuttler Ng Hui Lin handed in her resignation letter to the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM).

She cited her studies as a reason for quitting the national team.
    Fortunately, the world junior mixed doubles champion has had a change of heart.

Now, the talented youngster is seen as one of the players with the ability to contribute a point for Malaysia in the Uber Cup Finals, which will be held in Jakarta from May 11-18.

In the Finals, the 18-year-old bubbly Hui Lin, who won the world junior mixed doubles title with Lim Khim Wah last year, will team up with KLRC Bhd’s Lim Pek Siah as the country’s second doubles.

In the Uber Cup qualifying tournament in February, Hui Lin-Pek Siah helped Malaysia seal a place in the Finals by clinching the winning point in the 3-1 victory over Singapore in the quarter-finals.

They will be joined by top pair Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty, Woon Khe Wei-Goh Liu Ying and four singles players – Wong Mew Choo, Julia Wong, Lydia Cheah and Anita Raj Kaur.

The names will be confirmed during BAM’s coaching and training committee meeting today.

Hui Lin said she changed her mind after finding out that she had a chance to play in the Uber Cup team.

“I was at a crossroad after the Swiss Open in March. I wanted to leave the national set-up because I wanted to pursue my studies. I also did not want to miss out being a normal teenager. Here (in the national set-up), it is all about badminton,” said Hui Lin.

“My parents told me the pros and cons of being a national player and left it to me to decide. Finally, I decided to stay and focus on my preparation for the Uber Cup,” she said.

Since deciding against quitting the national, Hui Lin has been hard at work – especially on getting fit for the challenging task ahead.

http://www.thestar.com.my/services/...ile=/2008/4/25/sports/21058577.asp&sec=sports

5. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Good to know Ng Hui Lin is staying :)

6. george@chongwei

yeah, its not my fault..
    u shud go and sue TheStar if they provide wrong information...
    haha:)

7. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Badminton: Kim Hock hopes stint in PD will build up team confidence and unity

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia have a handful of first-timers in their teams for the Thomas and Uber Cup Finals, which will be held in Jakarta from May 11-18.
    And chief coach Yap Kim Hock hopes that the debutants will not turn out to be the weak links in the bids to reach at least the semi-finals of both the Thomas Cup and Uber Cup competitions.

Kim Hock is hoping that a three-day team-building camp in Port Dickson from May 2-4 will do the trick to build up the team's confidence and also unity among the players. Both the men's and women's teams for the Finals will begin centralised training in Bukit Jalil today.

“Most of the first-timers are youngsters. But they have showed that they have quality in their games. We, the coaches and their team-mates, must inject confidence in them. These players must believe that they can also rise to the occasion,” he said.

Those making their debuts in the Thomas Cup Finals are Mohd Arif Abdul Latif and doubles players Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif and Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari.

The others in the team are Lee Chong Wei, Wong Choong Hann, Mohd Hafiz Hashim, Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah and Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong.
    Kien Keat and Boon Heong will be playing in the Finals for the first time as a pair. In the previous Finals in Japan two years ago, Kien Keat partnered Chan Chong Ming while Boon Heong was the reserve doubles player together with Chew Choon Eng.

“When we start the centralised training tomorrow, all the players will train together in Bukit Jalil in the morning but the coaches have been given the permissions to have their own programmes, court or physical training, in the afternoon,” said Kim Hock.

“That is why I consider the three-day camp in Port Dickson as a very important platform to strengthen team unity and self-confidence. There will be no badminton during this three-day camp. The debutants and experienced players will get to mingle and motivate each other.

Malaysia last won the Thomas Cup in 1992 in Kuala Lumpur. The best result for the women's team in the Uber Cup was a quarter-final appearance in Jakarta in 2004 when they qualified for the Finals on merit for the first time.

8. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    tats nice.. get a break from baddy?? might do them some good?? :D

9. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

They go there BBQ and play beach volleyball while LCW and WMC go there paktor :D:p (just kidding)

10. eaglehelang

The article Jimbo posted was from today's The Star.

On the young Arif & Tee JY:

NST
    Badminton: Arif wants to prove a point in Thomas Cup

By AJITPAL SINGH

2008/04/28

ARIF Latif is not interested with simply being a reserve. If need be, the 19-year-old believes he is good enough to deliver a point for Malaysia in the Thomas Cup Finals in Jakarta on May 11-18.

"I'm confident of playing as the third singles. I'm ready to shoulder responsibility and deliver even if it is a crucial tie where I'm in a must-win situation, said an up-beat Arif." Arif, who is in the 2010-2012 Project squad, is making his debut in the Thomas Cup Finals, but his inclusion came as a surprise to many badminton enthusiasts considering there are several more experienced shuttlers in the country.

In the Asian Zone Qualifier in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam in February, Arif Latif played the opening match against Cambodia as a third singles player, which he won.

"Some (players) may feel comfortable as a reserve but it will be depressing if I don't get a chance to see action in Jakarta. However, I would not be upset if I don't get to play as there are better shuttlers in the team," added Ariff, who is ranked World No 76.

"Besides that, national pride is at stake in the Thomas Cup and only the best and those in-form should play." Arif's rise in the sport has been exceptional off late.

Included in his performances at the senior level were winning the Iran Fajr Open in Teheran in February and reaching the second round of the recent Asian Championships.

Meanwhile, Penang's Tee Jing Yi, also a surprise inclusion, hopes to play at least a small role in helping the team in the Uber Cup Finals.

The 17-year-old, ranked World No 167, won the recent Malaysian Schools Sports Council (MSSM) Under-18 women's singles title on Saturday.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Monday/Sport/2225331/Article/pppull_index_html

11. eaglehelang

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

So...have you guys seen the TC & UC mascot(s)??..

..any news on who, what and how this yr's Thomas & Uber Cups' mascot(s) looks like??...Or are they even going to have one??..I remember 2 yrs ago, the mascots were so cute...hmmm...:confused: :cool:

13. eaglehelang

NST

Badminton / Build up to Thomas Cup: Misbun: Hafiz is grooving again

By : Ajitpal Singh

[​IMG]
    Hafiz Hashim celebrates his victory over China’s Bao Chunlai at the Asian Badminton Championships in Johor Baru on April 17. Hafiz won 21-23, 21-15,21-15.

HAFIZ Hashim, though a lot more inconsistent than consistent of late, can nevertheless spring some surprises when least expected.

And national singles coach Misbun Sidek believes that Hafiz's recent win over China's Bao Chunlai at the Asian Badminton Championships was not a fluke but instead feels the player is gradually getting back to his best.

"If he (Hafiz) can play the way he did against Chunlai, he will be Malaysia's trump card in the Thomas Cup in Jakarta," said Misbun at the National Sports Council (NSC) in Bukit Jalil yesterday.

"Like I said before, Hafiz is one of the most skilful players in the world and if he plays with more heart and passion, he can rise to the occasion against tough opponents in Jakarta."

In the recent Asian Championships, Hafiz stunned World No 3 Chunlai in the third round but lost tamely to Indonesia's Sony Dwi Kuncoro in the quarter-finals.
    Misbun added that as the third singles for Malaysia, Hafiz will be an important cog in the country's chances in the Thomas Cup.

"Hafiz is aware of his role and I'm preparing him for the challengers in the event." said Misbun.

"What I have come to realise he is more patient and determined in training and this is a sure sign that his love for the game is back." Malaysia are in Group C with England and South Korea for the Thomas Cup Finals.

On the crucial match against South Korea, Misbun said that Malaysia will have to win the three singles.

"The Koreans are strong in the doubles and it will be tough for Malaysia to win points there."

Meanwhile, all the Jakarta-bound shuttlers have been passed fit after medical check-ups last week.

However, it was found that World No 4 Choong Tan Fook and Lee Wan Wah's respective cholesterol levels were slightly above average.

National doubles coach Rexy Mainaky said a special diet programme has been formulated for the duo. "However, regardless of their cholesterol levels, it will not affect their performance in the Thomas Cup," said Rexy yesterday.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Tuesday/Sport/2226396/Article/index_html

14. eaglehelang

NST

Badminton / Build up to Thomas Cup: Injury rules out Liu Ying

By Ajitpal Singh

2008/04/29

DEBUTANTE Goh Liu Ying has been ruled out of the Uber Cup Finals in Jakarta, Indonesia on May 11-18 after she twisted her right knee during training in Bukit Jalil last Friday. National chief coach Yap Kim Hock confirmed that the 19-year-old will not be available for event.

"Her injury is quite serious and on doctors' advice we felt it would be unwise to risk playing her," said Kim Hock at the National Sports Council (NSC) in Bukit Jalil yesterday.

"Fortunately, a scan showed she had not torn any ligaments but if the injury was aggravated it could risk her playing career."

Kim Hock opted for Sabrina Chong as a replacement.

Liu Ying, who is from Malacca, was picked as an option for the doubles in the Malaysia team. Together with playing partner Woon Khe Wei, the pair were selected for the Finals after their fine performances in several recent tournaments. Last month the pair reached the semi-finals of the India Open.

However, Kim Hock said Liu Ying's absence will not affect Malaysia's chances in the Uber Cup.

"She does not form the core of the team. We still have two strong doubles pairs," said Kim Hock.

Wong Pei Tty-Chin Eei Hui and Lim Pek Siah-Ng Hui Lin were Kim Hock's picks to play in most of the matches in the Finals.

The Star Online > Sports
    Tuesday April 29, 2008

Knee injury rules Liu Ying out of Uber Cup squad

KUALA LUMPUR: Youngster Goh Liu Ying's hopes to feature in her first Uber Cup Finals have gone up in smoke.

The 19-year-old was dropped from the team yesterday because of a knee injury yesterday and she would be replaced by either Sabrina Chong or Lim Yin Loo.

Both Sabrina and Yin Loo were tried out in partnership with Woon Khe Wei on the first day of the centralised camp at the Gymnasium II in Bukit Jalil.
    National chief coach Yap Kim Hock said that doubles coach Rexy Mainaky would name the replacement for Liu Ying soon.

“The change for our third ranked pair will not affect our team's preparation. We still have two strong pairs,” said Kim Hock.

The top two pairs are Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty and Lim Pek Siah-Ng Hui Lin.

Besides Liu Ying, veteran men's doubles shuttlers Choong Tan Fook and Lee Wan Wah were also missing from the morning training session yesterday.

Said Wan Wah: “Results of medical tests last week showed higher cholesterol in our bodies. We had to go for a blood test today and it was confirmed that our cholesterol level is back to normal.”

The duo resumed training in the afternoon.

Poor Liu Ying, hope she recovers soon, next Uber Cup she'll have the chance to give it a go.

#14 eaglehelang, Apr 28, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  15. eaglehelang

http://www.thestar.com.my/services/...ile=/2008/4/29/sports/21091692.asp&sec=sports

The Star Online > Sports
    Tuesday April 29, 2008

Badminton: Beware the Korean bite
    By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: South Korea have a small team for their challenge in the Thomas Cup Finals but they are certainly a big threat to the other top contenders for the coveted world men's team title.

South Korea will parade their best players in the Finals, which will be held in Jakarta from May 11-18 after all. They had indicated earlier that their top stars would prefer to stay home to concentrate on their preparation for the Beijing Olympics in August.

Malaysia's singles coach Misbun Sidek sees the Koreans having a team who can challenge defending champions China, Indonesia, Malaysia and Denmark for every point in a five-match tie.

South Korea have named four singles players – Park Sung-hwan, Lee Hyun-il, Shon Seung-mo and Hong Ji-hoon. But unlike the four other title contenders, they have opted for only two pairs instead of three. And Jung Jae-jung-Lee Yong-dae and Lee Jae-jin-Hwang Ji-man have showed that they are good bets to win points for their team.

“Koreans have always been dominant in the men's doubles. And their pairs have produced impressive results in recent tournaments. They can bank on getting two points from the doubles and one from the singles,” said Misbun at the Gymnasium II in Bukit Jalil yesterday.

“Their singles players have improved and can give the others a run for their money. They are no longer the dark horses of the tournament. Their improved performances have certainly made this year's challenge for the Thomas Cup more interesting.”

At first singles, Misbun said that Asian champion Sung-hwan could challenge Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei, China's Lin Dan, Denmark's Kenneth Jonassen and Indonesia's Sony Dwi Kuncoro.

“On paper, the world number one Lin Dan is hard to beat but he is not invincible. In fact, Sung-hwan has a good record against him,” said Misbun.

“Sony is difficult to beat at his home ground while Kenneth can pull off surprises. Chong Wei must raise his game higher to keep pace with these players. It will be evenly contested.”

At second singles, the five players in the rank with Hyun-il are Wong Choong Hann (Mas), Bao Chunlai (Chn), Taufik Hidayat (Ina) and Peter Gade-Christensen (Den).

“Taufik looks the strongest here while Chunlai is also formidable. But this has been a comeback year for Hyun-il. He does not show a lot of emotion but he is a determined fellow. Peter's form depends on whether he has recovered from a series of injuries. It will be tough for Choong Hann,” said Misbun.

South Korea probably does not have the strongest player in the third singles but Misbun does not want to rule out Seung-mo, a silver medallist at the 2004 Athens Olympics.

The other third singles in order of world rankings are Chen Jin (Chn), Mohd Hafiz Hashim (Mas), Simon Santoso (Ina) and Joachim Persson (Den).

“On paper, Chen Jin is the strongest third singles player. But Seung-mo has not been playing much of late and we do not really know his true strength,” said Misbun.

“Hafiz did well at the recent ABC (Asian Championships). If he can play like he did in Johor Baru and further improve on his physical condition, he can turn out to be the strongest third singles. It all depends on how much Hafiz wants it.”

Meanwhile, national doubles coach Rexy Mainaky said that the challenge in the doubles would be open and he hoped that the Malaysian pairs rise to the occasion to deliver.

Except for Indonesia's scratch combination of Candra Wijaya-Nova Widianto, the other pairs know each other's game very well and it all depends on who play the right card.

Candra-Nova will be a tough nut to crack but their presence have certainly added an element of excitement to the Finals.

16. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports

Tuesday April 29, 2008

Doubles ace Pek Siah seeks one final hurrah

KUALA LUMPUR: Doubles shuttler Lim Pek Siah is looking at hanging up her racquet after playing competitively for 12 years.

And the 29-year-old shutttler from professional outfit KLRC Bhd has vowed to give her best in the Uber Cup Finals. She is the oldest player in the team and forms the second ranked pair with young debutant Ng Hui Lin.

“I have been in this business (of playing badminton) for a long time and the Uber Cup will be my last tournament,” said Pek Siah.

“My combination with Hui Lin is shaping up well. I will be making my first appearance in the Finals and hopefully, we (Hui Lin and I) will be able to achieve the best results for Malaysia.”

The last time Malaysia qualified for the Finals, on merit, for the first time, was in 2004, also in Jakarta. The team then made it to the quarter-finals and the target for the squad this time is a semi-final appearance.

17. george@chongwei

Knee injury rules Liu Ying out of Uber Cup squad

KUALA LUMPUR: Youngster Goh Liu Ying's hopes to feature in her first Uber Cup Finals have gone up in smoke.
    The 19-year-old was dropped from the team yesterday because of a knee injury yesterday and she would be replaced by either Sabrina Chong or Lim Yin Loo.
    Both Sabrina and Yin Loo were tried out in partnership with Woon Khe Wei on the first day of the centralised camp at the Gymnasium II in Bukit Jalil.
    National chief coach Yap Kim Hock said that doubles coach Rexy Mainaky would name the replacement for Liu Ying soon.
    “The change for our third ranked pair will not affect our team's preparation. We still have two strong pairs,” said Kim Hock.
    The top two pairs are Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty and Lim Pek Siah-Ng Hui Lin.
    Besides Liu Ying, veteran men's doubles shuttlers Choong Tan Fook and Lee Wan Wah were also missing from the morning training session yesterday.
    Said Wan Wah: “Results of medical tests last week showed higher cholesterol in our bodies. We had to go for a blood test today and it was confirmed that our cholesterol level is back to normal.”
    The duo resumed training in the afternoon.

18. george@chongwei

19. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    hmmm.. seems like korea did field their best after all.. :D

20. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Good to know.....NHL is back....its Ng Hui Lin not National Hockey League....hehehehehe