How important are...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bmc2005, Apr 29, 2008.

1. bmc2005

bmc2005 Regular Member

your biceps and triceps in badminton? If I have enormous wrist power, but very weak biceps and triceps, how badly would that affect my play?

2. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Let me guess, you're looking for an excuse to do some arm curls and elbow extensions? To get some "big gunz?"

If you really want to do them, go ahead, just don't try to rationalize it as being for your badminton training. Really, heavy pushing and pulling movements will provide plenty of strength to those particular muscles.

3. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    You want strength in your arms, but also speed and flexability. If you press/curl etc heavy weights you will bulk up, which for badminton isnt ideal.

Also remember to do both arms so you are balanced. I see a lot of players with one side of their body (racket arm, leg etc) bigger than their other which can in the long term misalign your body joints.

Wrist curls are very good for badminton, using the wrist while playing a shot rather than your arm.

4. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

nahh dont listen to these guys, biceps and triceps(big gunz) play large roles in badminton. Look at this video for an example (note how much damage he did on his opponent)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfwqSBWDW_A

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I don't know what you're talking about :confused:

Obviously, all the big damage was due to the ergogenic effect of the vitamin water. Also, pro football/baseball players are much more intimidating than badminton players.

6. bmc2005

bmc2005 Regular Member

why don't you calm down on the assumptions? "big gunz" are the last things i want, i just want to understand how important they are in badminton.

thanks to everyone else who responded.

7. tobradex

tobradex Regular Member

IT industry
    hahaha. Yea but how much will big gunz really help you if you have a big gut too?

In my opinion arm strength is not quite as useful as balance, endrunance, and technique. Those guys who do things so seemingly effortlessly are not relying on the strength of their biceps and triceps (even though they do have some part in it of course).

If you learn how to swing properly using all of your body, you won't need such huge "gunz".

Now I'm gonna guess you're gonna see some ppl out there who swing really really hard with their arm. (I'm one of them unfortunately). But they could do so much more if they learned how to use their body and timing.

That's just my opinion.

8. Gabriyel

Gabriyel Regular Member

Ok, I guess I will be the first to answer correctly...

Yes, your biceps and your triceps BOTH play an important role in badminton, espcially your triceps.
    When executing almost every forehand overhead shot, you will use your triceps, so you need strong, fast and flexible triceps in order to develop maximum strenght during these movements.
    About your biceps, they will play a minor role when using almost every one of those shots by keeping your arm "safe" if they are strong enough to compensate your triceps strenght. Elbow injuries often comes from improper balance of strenght between biceps and triceps (as much as front arm muscles). Biceps also add a little power to backhand shots, but they play a minor role.

Hope this helps

9. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    OP, please use a more informative thread title in the future. I hate opening threads like "how important is..." "is it good to..." "help with vaguely worded question".

Obviously it's important to work out auxiliary muscles, I used to get beat by the skinny-fast archetype of player, but it really is quite fun to play them once its clear that they have massive trouble with backhand clears under pressure and smashing from the baseline.