Who and How did they invent the overhead strokes for badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by CkcJsm, Apr 29, 2008.

1. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Who and How did they invent the overhead strokes for badminton?

I always wondered how people found out the best way to execute a clear, smash, drop,etc. And how did they invent these things, because you have to take a while to be able to clear and do other strokes.

2. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Take a look at the overhead stroke. Then, look at a tennis serve, or a volleyball spike. Then, look at the overhead throwing action, like in baseball, football, javelin, etc. They're all pretty similar.

The human body really only has so many different fundamental movements: push, pull, throw/kick, gait, etc. For someone reasonably athletic, it is pretty obvious from experience which basic movements to use in a sport. For example, people will feel how a pushing movement isn't that effective for propelling the shuttle, but an overhead throwing/kicking motion is.

From there, it's just fine tuning.

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I doubt anybody "invented" it...
    It's just gradual evolution combined with body mechanics.

Juts like footwork, you hardly see any top-player use a siccors-kick on his forehand...just look at some players in the 80's... Sports evolve...

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Really?

Do we mean the same thing by "scissor kick" (scissor jump)? :confused:

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I think so...
    I can't name any pro who does it... it's mostly block jumps (or perhaps the ocassion when a player dashes back from the net in a straight line).
    But a regular step from your base to the forehand rearcorner is rarely a siccors kick...right?
    Maybe it was a bad example ;)

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You certainly see a lot of block jumps, but that's when the player is hitting from behind the body. This kind of footwork is used to intercept shallow lifts and clears.

When the player has enough time, however, he will prefer to get fully behind the shuttle. This typically involves an arc step, followed by a scissor jump.

The other main pattern involves a step-out; again, this is for when the shuttle is behind you.

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

then it's definatly a bad example...
    I thought the [english term] scissors kick/jump covered just the footwork like done with the around-the-head (left step, turn, jump, 'kick', return)...
    my bad...
    anyway, just blame my bad understanding of english badminton terminology ;) and conclude we're straying from topic :eek:

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I'm thinking of the movement seen in this video, starting at 1:45.

9. jerby

jerby Regular Member

yeah, that's exactly it....

I don't see it in today's badminton anymore... (unless you count the on-time, normal rotation and stepping)...
    how could I forget that video :p

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Well, what else would you count? :confused: You can't use a scissor jump unless you can get behind the shuttle. If you have some backwards momentum to destroy, then you'll need a wider scissor jump (left leg pushing back more); if jumping directly upwards, a more compact one is fine.

Was there another, older use of the scissor jump?

Here: Lin Dan uses a scissor jump in the 2005 All England Final (skip the commentary and jump to 9:35).

11. jerby

jerby Regular Member

How can I explain footwork through words... I'm having some difficulty ;)

also, I'm pretty sure that Lin Dan did that scissors kick on his around-the-head... not his forehand. (he's a lefty ;))

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

True, although not really relevant: he was moving straight back, not using RTH footwork.

An example in his forehand corner: 13:25. This also showcases the arc step movement, getting directly behind the shuttle (rather than diagonally).

Although as you say, there's a lot more block jumps. Singles players don't usually have enough time to get back for a scissor jump.

#12 Gollum, May 1, 2008
    Last edited: May 1, 2008
  13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Use the quickest footwork that you can do without losing your balance

Hi CkcJsm,

As discussed by jerby and Gollum, there are many different footwork used. The most efficient footwork for different players may not be the same. Thanking Gollum for the videos showing them.

To answer your question: How people found out the best way to execute a clear, smash, drop,etc

My answer: Try out the different footwork for yourself. The best one for you should be the one you can get to the shuttlecock quickest without losing your balance. :):):)

Always think of footwork used on court as dancing on the court. Good footwork comes from a combination of training and native ability.

Cheers... chris@ccc
    :):):)

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The first person to invent the overhead stroke was probably one of first group of players who first played badminton with a net 5' high. It is impossible to know his or her name, and neither do we know the names of the people who played that first game.