Back to badminton after 9 months of injury

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Scott_G500, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Scott_G500

Scott_G500 Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

I was diagnosed with arthritis in the right wrist and ankle about 9 months ago. Luckily it was a type that could be cured.

Now that it finally has been cured, I'm very, very eager to start playing badminton again. I was hoping if you could give me some tips to get me fit again before autumn.

Here's some information about me:

- 13yrs. old
    - probably an intermediate player
    - about 5hrs of time after school, 8hrs on Wednesdays + weekends
    - not overweight but I get tired very quickly
    - fairly good access to badminton courts, tracks for running and a quite big backyard
    - no dumbbells, weights etc.

PLEASE NOTE that I'm not that fit anymore and the injury was quite bad so nothing too intense, but If I'm able to play normally again before the summer holidays then great.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hi, sorry to hear about your condition. Please do not hurry too fast into training otherwise you may injure other parts of the body.

3. Slicedbanana07

Slicedbanana07 Regular Member

Get some proper running shoes to suit ur style and do some light running (or to the ur own ability). Since u had arthritus on ur ankle, I advise to properly invest in some running shoes to do ur fitness exercises else it may put more strain on ur joints.

Some light weights would help tone ur muscles, which u haven't used since being out of badminton. Most important of all, just play and be aware of the basics. Even if u think u know the basics, its always ideal to start from the beginning and work ur way back to where u were so that u dont miss anything or develop bad habits by going back into the sport at too high a level especially after being out for 9 months.

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

arthritis at 13?
    that's a bit young, damn, good thing you're cured now.
    yeah, i would suggest just doing some cardio exercises to keep your fitness levels up, maybe lower impact exercises like cycling or swimming rather than running if your ankle is slightly weak.

5. Scott_G500

Student
    Actually my ankle is fine, so I can do pretty much anything with it. I already play football once a week on Sundays.

Could you guys be more specific on what kind of exercises I should do and how, for example if I go cycling then what distance or for how long for it to be effective enough. And if you could suggest any exercises I could do on the badminton court then that would help very much.

6. Scott_G500

Student
    Nothing at all?:(

7. loggietoh2003

loggietoh2003 Regular Member

Army Officer
    I suggest you do aqua-running twice a week and walking on the beach thrice a week and light footwork in the court

8. Scott_G500

Student
    And if aqua-running and walking on the beach not available?

9. Scott_G500

Student
    Hi,

I played badminton for the first time after my injury. It went very well. The only problem is the low backhand from the back corner. I think I'm doing wrong , cuz my wrist horizontal and not vertical when I do it.