Stringing cracked frames

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Mark A, May 5, 2008.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

(I assumed this would have come up in an existing thread, but I couldn't find it)

If a racket comes to me, a professional stringer, with a cracked in the frame, does a waiver signed by the customer BEFORE stringing commences legally absolve me of all responsibility for what happens once stringing commences? It's an AT700 and the crack isn't all the way through, so it might survive the stringing, but is more likely to collapse during play.

I can certainly imagine somebody giving a cracked frame to a stringer with the aim of extorting a new racket out of them when it breaks, and I was wondering if self-drafted waivers give any legal protection from this.

2. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    he can just deny he signed anything and claim you forged that. you could try signing it in the presence of a solicitor :) thats alot of hassle for one racket.

3. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    The best thing is not to string the racket. I mean, I will ask him to get a new racket since the current broken racket cant be strung at high tensions anyway. As a stringer, its one's responsibility to check the racket before you accept to string it.

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) I will explain it to the palyer that there is a crack on the frame and it might not live through the stringing process.
    2) The racquet will most likely break during the game. Any miss hit near the crack will kill the racquet.
    3) If you are not comfortable with the player or just a new customer, just say no.

5. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    well..i think u should remind him,if he wants to ask u to string it,with that condition,u won't guarantee him that his racket can stand it,since it cracked already.Ask him to write an agreement on paper.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

An update - I've just sent my customer away with the racket and suggested they get a replacement. I don't see the need to risk my credibility for the sake of £10.

They were very understanding, especially when I told them they could try to get a new one on the warranty;).

7. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Uh.. my friend found a broken MP77, superglued the frame back to shape and got it restrung at 26lbs.. then it broke while playing.
    Haha some people are just crazy.