Right arm pain when excecuting

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by llpjlau, May 6, 2008.

1. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Hi,

i get a strong pain in my right arm when i excecute some shots, particularly the around the head shots. sometimes when defending with my forehand returning smashes (when arm is moving from right to left).
    its sorta like a cramp. the pain stays for a while and my whole arm gets weak, unable to grip the racket properly, racket shakes in my hands and of course unable to play shots properly. pain subsides after a while. most of the time i play through the pain, hoping my adrenaline rush will keep me going. but when i play for fun, i usually fall to ground in pain.
    it happens at the area just as you slide down your shoulder. so if you put ur left hand on ur right shoulder and slide down a bit. yes, that region. i can feel the same pain (but doesnt stay) when i straighten my whole right arm up and move it behind my head but not so much as i move it in front.

i'm hoping someone like systemicanomaly or any other body-expert to give me some advice.
    btw, im looking to see a physio but i would like to hear what BC has to say first.

a little bit of history:
    this injury/pain started mid last year (2007). stopped badminton for a few months, then started by going to a tournament. the injury happened at the tournament when excecuting a shot. then stopped badminton for a month or so. started again when playing badminton when excecuting a shot. then stopped badminton for about 4 months plus. and now the injury is still there.

could it be a pull? a strain?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It may be a shoulder injury. Shoulder injuries often cause referred pain in that area of the arm (I had this).

You are in severe danger of a permanent injury. Start listening to your body, stop playing badminton, and see a doctor without delay.

Trust me. I know about shoulder injuries; they are not nice. Here's hoping you don't need surgery like mine!

3. tobradex

tobradex Regular Member

IT industry
    I totally think you should see a doctor. There are a lot of knowledgable people on BC with experience but since a lot of them aren't Medical and can't physically assess you, it's prolly better if you go get it checked out.

This is your health and well being. If you love badminton so much, why would you want to risk your entire future in it by skimping on a half day visit to the doctor? (not to mention serious damage to your arm).

It doesn't make sense does it? I really hope you recover well and soon.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you put your arm by the side of your body, and then raise it straight upwards and to the side, does it hurt more?

Can you raise it past higher than your shoulder whilst keeping the arm straight?

If yes, then could be a deltoid problem. Go and see the physio. Australia should have many sports physios who are accessible.

5. loggietoh2003

loggietoh2003 Regular Member

Army Officer
    You have strained your arm! I have this problem too! To solve it, stop badminton for a while depending on individual to define for a while. Can do other sports to substitute badminton! Listen to your body, you only have one right arm unless you want to use your left arm and play, furthermore you can play anytime. In future, do remember to conduct warm up/down, before and after games taking about 10 -15mins each time, this will save you lots of inconvenience.

6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i have this problem, and have suggested an exercise which my physio has asked me to perform, it's been working well for me so far.
    of course, before you do anything, you should always see a doctor or a physio yourself first, each individual's case may be different.
    but if you're interested in what exercises my physio recommended, have a look at this thread ...

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47023&highlight=tendonitis

7. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I get problems like this as well, but they go away after a few hours or so. I usually get this pain when I execute clears at the wrong timing( late ) or when im doing baseline to baseline drives. I believe it's got to do with the stroke technique. I never get this problem when I use a headlight racquet such as the MP40, where as I basicly use more wrist power than arm.

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I got injured recently in the macpherson tournament as well. Better take it easy, don't aggravate it. Let it heal slowly and do proper warm up. Which is one of the main cause of injuries.

9. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i've taken several months off badminton earlier this year