Finger power

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ionoo, May 6, 2008.

1. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

What strokes use finger power? I can't really see where the fingers really come in besides helping you grip the racket. Could someone give me some examples of where finger power comes in?

2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Net play, short serves, deceptions, sliced drops, etc..

3. No one

No one Regular Member

I think the term 'finger power' is incorrect anyway. IMO the fingers aren't used to generate 'power' but are used to manipulate your racquet. In this sense they're extremely important and are used in all the shots mentioned by jhirata.

4. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

But there's also the finger-power grip as well, which can be used for smashes, clears, etc because it can somehow general more power.

5. No one

No one Regular Member

wow I stand corrected....!

6. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

ionoo just needs to clarify what he meant by 'finger-power'.. hehe

7. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    finger power gives you that extra kick to add to your base power. best used near the end of the stroke, with a sudden tightening of grip.usually used when smashing and hold and flick lifts.

8. OldBadFan

OldBadFan Regular Member

Contractor
    I think what he meant was the usage or application of the fingers for any particular stroke.

In general each and every stroke requires that, from the deftest touch for a net shot to thundering power of a smash.

However, other aspects of any stroke have to be in synchronization to obtain satisfactory result. Say your positioning, body and arm coordination, timing and contact point etc., etc. Lacking any one of these shall produce a less than perfect shot.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

All power shots use grip tightening ("finger power") to increase racket head speed. Well-timed grip tightening facilitates energy transfer from the large muscles (shoulder/arm) into the racket.

Some shots, however, use a smaller arm movement and rely mainly on the grip tightening. Obviously this is less powerful than a large arm swing; but you can act more quickly and precisely.

For example: a full-power smash uses a relatively large arm swing. A tight net kill, however, can use hardly any arm swing at all (although the arm muscles do tense during the shot).

Even soft shots, such as net shots, tend to use a very slight grip tightening prior to impact. This is not for power, but rather to stabilise the racket head.

10. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i already suggested some uses. but i wanted him to know it was to put that extra energy in within the shortest amount of time available. as for what shots to use finger power with, that's up to him to consider.

11. OldBadFan

OldBadFan Regular Member

Contractor
    I can see that. Don't get bothered, it's just another point of view of mine.

Give him more if you've any. Good job and have fun.