how do u return a serve?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by KenD807x, May 7, 2008.

1. KenD807x

KenD807x Regular Member

going to school
    When someone serves to me i tend to drive it back at them. But sometimes im not fast enough. What do you guys do to return a serve?

2. dnacid

dnacid Regular Member

Student
    Depends on your and your opponents' skill. If the opponent is weak in returning fast drives, by all means do that until you win. If they have fast reaction, try dropping to force them to hit upwards. If they are beginners, clear it for them to hit.

3. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    For a short serve there are many ways to return such as lift, drive or drop shot. For a flick serve you can have all returns such as lift, clear, drive, drop shot and smash.

For short serves i prefer to drive the shuttlecock into the opponent and for flick serve i mainly do drop or smash shots.

4. KenD807x

KenD807x Regular Member

going to school
    Once i dropped and the guy rushed forward and he drived it at me.

5. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    You probably were in bad position and it gave it away so he knew it was a drop. Or maybe your drop was too high.

Personally I think the best way to return the low serve is a nice angled drive to the backhand or the forehand. Whichever side their not serving on.

6. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    si this singles or doubles? high serve or short serve? drive serve, flick serve? that might help. because you certainly don't play shots returning short singles serves as you do high serves

7. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Rule of Thumb....return so they must clear...:D

8. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

In doubles..
    I drive it back most times. Sometimes I netkill it if it goes high. I sometimes play my crosscourt deception and embarass them :D:D:D:D:D..

If it's a flick serve, I have no choice but to smash it or drop it back.

And in Singles, I have so many other options.. and I dont play the same shot all the time because I need to have a variety of shots.. otherwise I'll be too predictible.

9. KenD807x

KenD807x Regular Member

going to school
    Today when i served (short serve), the person dropped it to the corner then I jumped towards it with a lot of speed and smashed it cross court. Then i did it again but it was then a backhand. I was pretty impressed myself :D

10. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Haha isn't that a netkill ?

11. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Here's the crosscourt deception:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k6fIKP6ZFY

It works like a miracle.

12. 2ol2play

2ol2play Regular Member

retired
    Biggest problem with return of serve in doubles is trying to do too much with it...a simple dump return that causes a lift from opposite team is best...you dont lose the point by hitting out or getting killed on their return...when they lift you are on offense and offense wins 60% of the points...of course you have to mix in a few pushes etc or they zero in on your return....:D

13. vinjy

vinjy Regular Member

student
    :)i think is better to be in a offisive side, so when return a serve make sure u are still in offisive, example when opp serve low serve, do a netting or a push, if opp serve do a drop shot or smash. as long as the shuttle no high is offisive. But it depends on the situation as well.

Visit this blog, which my friend set up : http://allaboutbadmintontrainingdrills.blogspot.com/

14. MasterChief

MasterChief Regular Member

Student
    My advice applies for singles: You have to know what to expect from your opponent. Your shot of choice should be based on where the player serves and where the player is. If your opposition is a strong smasher then a clear to the back , while I acknowledge it can be a good way to gain some precious seconds to gain a good position, can have disastrous consequences. If you don't know how your opponent plays then a drop will be your best bet to avoid such an incident. For example, in my case, if someone serves high and to the back, my choice is usually a smash. If they serve low and just into the service box, then a drop shot or a well placed shot to the back of the court is best since your opposition would most likely remain in the front. The best bet for any player is always to hit a low shot away from the player at all times. In that way, your chances of success are always increased!

15. Dead Fish

Dead Fish Regular Member

Teacher
    No matter what they do I almost always do a trick drop.

16. asder

asder Regular Member

Student
    I was "nice" to people and returned them in a fashion where they felt confident with their shots, and it was hard for me to return. After some time, i started getting those shots without a problem. Sure i lost about 80% of my games, but i enjoyed it and i play better now compared to when i started. This also allowed the people i played against to improve their skills.

17. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

we have a club player and he stands really close to the service line when receiving. when i serve short to him, he just moves up and sort of pushes the bird really lightly so it goes passes me, but lands in front of my partner at his feet. he does this really well and always to the sides, so my partner usually has no choice but to lift it. sometimes i can guess right and go to the same direction and smash it back if it's too high :D

18. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    if he's hard to win i do a clear shot to start out with. if i could win against the guy then i either smash hard or start a net play.

19. amaranth

amaranth Regular Member

For doubles...there's a trick shot..
    Put the birdy at the half-court between the front and the back player.
    The front player will think his/her partner (the back player) will take the birdy; Unfortunately, the back player will also think the opposite

This should be done fast..anyway, this return can only be performed on short services.

20. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Where they do a short serve. I smash it on them. When they do a high serve. I smash it on them. What better way? Haha.