Singapore Professionals

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Byro-Nenium, Jan 8, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Here in Singapore where Badminton isn't really a popular sport so the government buys players from Indonesia like Indra Wijaya.

Is it better for the government to sponser more SIngporeans to become better or import foreign talent. I think that importing foreign talent is good but i think that if they win tournaments, which i doubt, its like buying the medals.......

Anyone have any views?

Thanx for all replies

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hey, indonesian government bought some of their medals too. Take 1992 olympic, badminton first international showing, suharto promised lots and lots of goodies to who ever bring back gold medals in badminton. Well, guess which countries got the gold medals in key events MS, WS, MD? **Indonesia**. Two of them got married too :)

** going from my memory.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There are about 3 million people in S'pore. That's less than the population of London.

Include the fact that most are ethnic Chinese origin and place high emphasis on academic acheivement ("Kiasu")......well, is it any wonder that S'poreans do not acheive in sport in general.

If the "Kiasu" attitude can be put to sport,, wow, S'pore will be up there amongst the best. Plus the fact many people don;t get married until after thirty - imagine all that time they have just to play badminton!

So long as a player lives in that country and takes citizenship there, it's OK in my books.
    Other countries have immigration policies which benefit applicant who have certain skills. Sport can be classed under this category.

Isn't Indra Wijya getting quite old?
    Is Ronald Susilo a natural born S'porean?

HK has some players from Indonesia or China. Local HKers don't have a problem with these people representing HK. Maybe because HK is made up largely of an immigrant population.

4. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Ronald Susilo is orginally from Indonesia.

I agree that the majority of potential stars focus their main attension to their academic work rather than sport. Agus Hariyanto i think his name is orginally from Indonesia but HK is part of China now and that wouldn't count. I just feel that the government here should train more of the local atheletes rather than importing foreign talent.

For example, many Singaporeans boast about the China born Table Tennis player Jin Jun Hong. But shes orginally from China and was raised and trained in China.

5. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I didn't mean it in that way. The players who medals for Indonesia are Indonesians though the government gave them extra goodies. But the Singapore representitives are orginally Indonesian eg Indra/Hendra Wijaya and Ronald Susilo as well...

6. viper

viper Guest

Face the fact that Singapore is a tiny little country. If we can produce 10 world class player, other country could have hundred or even thousand of same level. Frankly, I think our "local" national player could not even match up with Indonesia or China
    provincial players.

7. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
  8. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    Sometimes bringing in foreign players is the best way to improve local players. Here in the US, from China we have Kevin Han (MS), Tang Ye Ping (WS, XD), from Malaysia Andy Chong (MD, XD with Tang), from Indonesia Ardy Wirinata (coach and player, but I heard he's going to Canada) and others I can't remember details about right now. Our younger players need a high level of competition to continue improving, and there's no where to find it without encouraging players from other countries to come here.

Is this anything like the situation in Singapore? Sorry I can't remember Kevin and Andy's Chinese names.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    good points, cheung. Indonesia population is over 200 million and badminton is their national sports since as far as i have known. I don't think singapore had declared badminton as its national sport.

I think a player's decision to represent another country does not based on money alone; more on future career opportunities, family concern, new start, etc.

If canada and US declared citizenship for world ranking badminton players tomorrow, I bet there will be flood of citizenship application on canadian and US embassy door step within 48 hrs.

This is leaning toward politics. I better stop now.

10. vince poon

vince poon Guest

I agree that bring foreign talent to train young domestic player will help but there is a huge different when you train part time and full time. How many Canadian or American train full time in badminton that you know of?

11. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Hi, Vince

Sorry it took so long for me to find out the answer to your question. About 30 players train full time at the two national training centers in the US. The 12 players at the new Lake Placid, New York training center are from 16 to 20 years old and some of course are still in school, so they train in the mornings and afternoons after school is out.

I don't know about Canada. Do you have any idea what the Canadian national association says about this?

12. vince poon

vince poon Guest

Sorry I don't know how many canadian train in full time. I am very surprise to see you found out 30 badminton players do train full time in the US. It that's mean the US goverment pay their training fee and living expenses? The only few rumors I heard is player like Mike Beres (top canadian player) receives about $20,000 Cdn annually from Yonex sponsorships and not sure if he receives government fund or not. There are also top rank players who is 24 or under train at Glencoe Club and the membership rumor to be around $10,000 cdn per family which the government pays for but no living expenses. cooler probably know lots more than I do. help cooler!

13. marshall

marshall Regular Member

I think training fees and at least some living expenses must be covered, because the Lake Placid National Training Center is hiring a head coach and there are living facilities there for the players.