Offseason Cardio Conditioning

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by KazeCloud, May 8, 2008.

1. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    My season is over. I didn't do really good in league, even after a great advancement in my play thanks to you guys. Next year is my senior year and I need to play my hardest and train starting now. I have searched a great deal of threads and there has always been disagreements on which is the best way to train on stamina. Running is probably my best option but how long and how many times should I run? And speaking of running. My feet always hurts first before my lungs or muscles, ever since I was a kid. The bottom of my feet hurts after just two or three minutes. Do I just have a deformed feet? Its extremely wide, and I have already bought wide running shoes. Thanks.

2. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    think about what movements badminton requires, and adopt training methods best suited to that. however, running is good, and perhaps once or twice a week is fine, nothing more than 25 minutes. you'll want to do exercises specific to badminton, namely sprints and interval training. yes, running and swimming is good for overall stamina, but it's not really orientated towards badminton.

3. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

You should checkout custom in-soles or foot orthotics for your shoes, plus make sure you have the proper "jogging shoes" rather than just runners.

Search for "flat feet wet paper towel".

Does your feet hurt after playing badminton?

Cheers

4. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    No not after playing badminton. Mostly after just running straight for 2 or 3 minutes. I have all the stamina in the world still and the bottom of my foot would already hurt. My foot only hurt in badminton every once in awhile when I play really hard though. I will search for "flat feet wet paper towel."

5. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Definately listen to B-M-S, get orthos!:) I switched over from Yonex OEM insoles to SF because of the huge difference of having non-painful feet and as well as having good arch support. I do have custom orthos but I don't use them that often.

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Definitely get your feet checked to see if you need orthotics,as the others have said. However, one would think that most foot 'malformations' should bother you in badminton too.
    Therefore, examine your stride in running. Is it too short (are you just pounding up and down)? Are your calves or hip flexors too tight? Etc etc... Ask a local running guru to watch you.

7. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I think I will. Can I take a picture for you guys to see if I have any sure signs of flat feet? Now that I look at it, it seems a bit flat with a small curve in the insides. You guys don't mind me posting a picture of it will you?

Edit: I do have pains playing badminton just not all the time. Maybe I'm just zoning it out of my head since it bothers me.

#7 KazeCloud, May 18, 2008
    Last edited: May 18, 2008
  8. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

KazeCloud,

You very well may have flat feet causing your problem. But I will warn you not to fixate on it as the only possibility. Many folks have "kind of flat" feet, but it doesn't bother them a bit (or it isn't the source of their pain). But if you walk into an Orthotist's shop saying you have flat feet, 99% will quickly agree with you and will push on you $300 orthotics ('don't forget to renew every year').

There are lots of different types of foot problems. Go somewhere you trust and tell them what your symptoms are, not what you think the diagnosis is. Then they can examine you properly without preconceptions. Sports med docs and Physiotherapists are also good at this stuff.

9. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

If your feet are giving you problems, do some barefoot hopping exercises to strengthen them. Forward, lateral and diagonal directions; 90 and 180 degree changes of direction.

It's fairly common for people to have weak foot intrinsics (inside-the-foot muscles) due to us wearing shoes all the time. This is why companies like Nike and Vibram have designed shoes to imitate barefoot movement - they understand the value in strengthening the foot.