essential help

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by b2harath2, May 10, 2008.

1. b2harath2

b2harath2 Regular Member

bAdminton student
    .My age is 15. This is my problem:-
    I can move about quite well on the court if not very fast. I reach the shuttle usually in the right time. When I am sent to the baseline, ,NO MATTER HOW HARD I CLEAR ,the shuttle invariably lands in the middle region of my opponent's court or a little beyond. IT never travels to the baseline of my opponent's court and I dont know what to do about it. I want to hit well to the baseline. I might SOMETIMES hit the shuttle to the baseline when standing at the same place but NEVER am I able to send it to the baseline during a match.I
    sincerely need your help in this regard. I feel that you all would be able to help me. I would be very thankful to everyone if you could help me.

2. Moggy

Moggy Regular Member

Most likely a technique problem, while its not hard to do a full baseline-baseline clear it still requires considerable efforts. Try to hit the shuttle slightly infront of you, i notice lots of ppl hit the shuttle directly above them but they don't have enough technique or core muscle power to clear from such positions. If the shuttle isn't going far enough back, try to hit it flatter, not too high. In a game especially singles you tend to be out of position, so you'll have to learn to clear sideways. In practice i can do backhand clears from baseline to baseline, however in a game i'll be lucky if it reaches midcourt.... If you have the swinging technique right then just practice for timing, or if the tension in ur racquet is very high lower it a bit.

If you are just a social player don't worry too much, 9/10 social players can't actually clear baseline-baseline ;) as much as most male ego like to disagree :D

3. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    It takes a lot of practice. Just practice it a lot and you should be able to do it. Also, what is your racket tension? It may be too high and your losing power.

4. reiji

reiji Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Hi b2harath2,

I believe your issue lies in getting behind the shuttle and being ready/stable to take the shot comfortably. With the right technique, most players will not have problems clearing base to base. However, it is often not the case when they are forced to move back quickly and take the shot in a passive situation. Here's some aspects which you might wanna look into to tackle the issue :-

(1) Footwork:
    It is important to position yourself behind the shuttle when taking it. The start and the end movement is the key to this. The split step (start) to initiate your movement early and the final big step (end) to cover a large portion of the distance as well as to position your body to be ready for the shot. You can learn on this aspect by downloading some tournament videos and concentrate on just watching their footwork for the entire match.

(2) Stroke
    When in such passive situation, the player may not have the luxury to perform a proper stroke (i.e. with follow-through). This is especially so for some players who choose to let the shuttle drop even further by moving backwards instead of engaging the shuttle at the optimum height. Thus, maintaining a loose grip before hitting, taking a clean shot (no slice), having a correct grip which allows you to pronate and transfer your energy, and footwork-stroke coordination is important.

Last but not least, DO NOT keep staring/concentrating on the shuttle while moving backwards. Not only will it affect the trajectory of your shot, you will also move slower and less decisively. Good luck with your practice!

5. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    where would you stare then?

6. reiji

reiji Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Yup, thats the point, you dun...
    Look -> Move (and take notice of opponent) -> Look and Hit

Hmmm, probably its a bit misleading from the way i phrase it, but I've seen so many people just stare at the shuttle when moving back, and the shuttle will just keep going further behind them.

7. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    yes, i see your point, but it's very hard to do that. however, i agree that, given time, you should be doing that.

as for the shuttle getting further behind them....of course! it's what happens when you don't move :D:D:D

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

To start with: what's your grip like when you play a clear? Does it look like the basic grip or the panhandle grip? Or something else?

We really need to know this before continuing a diagnosis.

9. b2harath2

b2harath2 Regular Member

bAdminton student
    gollum, mine is basic grip

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Hurrah! :) That's a good start.

The next thing I'd want to look at would be your hitting action. If you could video yourself and show us some clears, that would be useful...

11. Scott_G500

Scott_G500 Regular Member

Student
    Could it also be because the shuttle is slow (green) ?

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    do some training or practice clearing shuttle while u r moving(left and right, front and back), not standing around.

13. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    get someone to check that. i've seen plenty of people whose grip deforms when they play a shot.

if your technique is good, the only thing i can suggest is practise. perhaps try taking a slow swing, then speed it up at the end.