Is it a fault

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by V8extra, May 10, 2008.

1. V8extra

V8extra New Member

Hello,

I have been looking at the rules and I could not find any answer to my question.

I know the striker can follow the shuttle over the net with the racket in the course of a stroke; but what if he touches my racket while doing so? Is that a fault on my side or his...

I am asking this because it occured yesterday, during play, I have seen and I have done the following many times.

During a play, I am near the net and I raise my racket net in front of my opponent in hope that the opponent will send the shuttle right on my racket, leading to a very nice, quick and uncatchable return.

If my opponent is in a situation to smash, I understand that I am preventing my opponent to follow the shuttle over the net... is that obstruction.

If my opponent is in a defencives position, or simply playing at the net, following up the shuttle is not really possible so I guess I am in a legal position, or is it still obstruction.

Could someone be kind enough to clarify those issue for me.

Thanks a lot...

And by the way, sorry for my english...

2. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

Law 13.4.4 is the one you could not find. It says:

13 It shall be a 'fault':

13.4 if, in play, a player:

13.4.4 obstructs an opponent, i.e. prevents an opponent from making a legal stroke where the shuttle is followed over the net;

So, yes, it is a fault. However, the obstruction must be real, usually demonstrated by a racquet clash after the stroke. The opponent cannot just claim obstruction when your racquet is, say, a foot or so your side of the net and he wasn't actually obstructed.

#2 CWB001, May 10, 2008
    Last edited: May 10, 2008
  3. V8extra

V8extra New Member

Thanks!

I think it covers it all....

Cheers

4. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    yes,

it has been discussed quite recently in one of the posts, im sorry but cant find it atm,

but the gist is this,

basically your opponent may follow through over to ur side of the net, and if the umpire judges you to be obstructing that follow through 'in any way', then it is indeed a fault.

and YOU lose a point. therefore, if you actually clash rackets it is defo a fault.

hope that helps:D

5. V8extra

V8extra New Member

Ok thanks you help is appreciated...

Cheers