Unpleasant experience at Sport Expert.

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by YinLoung, May 11, 2008.

1. YinLoung

YinLoung Regular Member

:mad:Today, I went to the local Sport Expert ( Quebec, Brossard ) to string my two Arc Sabers 7 ( like usual ). Usually, there's a guy called "Bob" that strings the racket but somehow that guy has left! Bob used to be the best stringer. On par with those "professional" stringers. However, he left! Sad news...

So on, I went to the counter and asked to string my two ArcSaber 7 ( One SP and one CD ) with bg68ti at 24lbs. The guy said " 24lbs? You shouldn't play high tension if you're not professional". I smiled a bit and insisted I wanted that tension. The guy then became unsure and said he have to ask his superior to see if they can actually string that high. ( That's the tension I was playing for the past year, that I strung my rackets at the same Sport Expert by Bob at 24lbs! ) The superior came and smiled.

"How are you?"
    -Fine...
    " You know, this is a fake racket.
    -Errr?
    " All SP rackets are fake
    -How's that? It has the lito logo sticker ( the two racket sticker..pbsc?? something like that ), it has the proper Yonex logo, the proper green of Yonex, the serial is up to date ( the 1st batch of ArcSaber7 released at MyBadmintonStore.com ) and there's not a single hint of a fake racket.
    " That's what people are telling you. I'm a professional and I know what's fake and what's not. This is a fake racket and we won't offer any garantee if it breaks while we string."
    - Ok, I dont mind.
    " Sign here please"
    - For?
    " To make sure if we break it, we don't have to replace it."

I signed the thing and asked again.

-How long have you been a "professional" in this kind of thing?
    " I was professionally formed and I can garantee you. All SP rackets are fake."
    - You know that many world-class badminton players are using SP?
    "....SP are all fakes.."

I smiled and left.

Although i left my racket, the only "good" sport expert with decent stringing service might have disappeared T.T....Hope they string it properly...

#1 YinLoung, May 11, 2008
    Last edited: May 11, 2008
  2. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    Oh man, you still left your racket there? I definatly would've taken it back, they don't even know what they're talking about? All SP rackets are fake? Where do you even get that from? Also 24 lbs? Not that high.

3. YinLoung

YinLoung Regular Member

Well, I left it there to see if they can do it properly. If not, i have to outside of the city to find good stringers. Which takes an hour to go there....not convenient.

4. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    You shouldn't have risked it, you also signed that form that if anything happens to your racket they are not responsible. Well hope everyting goes well for you

5. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

Same here. I would either not let them string my rackets, or I'd make them string the rackets without signing the responsibility form. Now you're the one taking the risk, and if anything goes wrong, it'll be your money/rackets going down the drain.
    The way they do business and how they know their business is way below usual standards. If it was me, I'd never go there anymore.

I hope the best for you and your rackets. May they come back in one piece, and stay one piece when you use them.

6. greyes

greyes Regular Member

professor
    I had the same difficulty with sport experts here in Montreal; and when i brought in non YY or Black Knight rackets they really became upset! Luckily I got in contact with someone who strings from home; he has a 6pt mounting system so my 29-30 lb tensions aren't a prob. I may actually break the bank and buy a stringing machine though. At the very least it will reduce my weekly treks to drop off my rackets at his office! :)

7. dukke88

dukke88 Regular Member

lol "all SP are fakes"

8. YinLoung

YinLoung Regular Member

Well, I had big troubled time with Sport Expert all around Montreal. Specially the one at St-Catherine. They simply rejected to string my racket because they didnt know Yonex had ArcSaber...they said I brought a fake Yonex racket and will not string an "obvious" fake racket....then The one at St-Bruno strung my old Ti-5 at 20lbs when I said 22...The new one near my house is using a 4p machine and they're using BK tools...which arent that good for the grommets and the racket... TT....But when I visited the one near Champlain Mall ( the current one ) they offered a great service and had someone who actually know stuff about badminton. Bob ensured me they are using quality tool. LIke the Yonex tools, 6p machine, proper technique. He's even willing to go above 26 if asked but now...24 is "too high" already... TT

9. greyes

greyes Regular Member

professor
    sport experts

Do you bring your own strings to sport experts ($10 for stringing service only)? If not, i remember them charging an arm and a leg for stringing (Bg 85 cost $40+tax to string!:eek:!).

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yeap, bite a few thousand dollars and get your own stringing machine. :D

11. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    Hey... my $500 (all inclusive) dealie is holding up fine so far.

12. dragin

dragin Regular Member

Mech. Eng.
    Who's Bob?

Jeff! Is Bob the guy with the glasses and goatee? Did you ask them to fix your grommet?

13. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

40 bucks for bg85?
    that's a rip off!

by the way, i agree, all SP racquets are fake.
    :rolleyes:

14. jerby

jerby Regular Member

and you let them still string it?

...you're a brave man...

15. YinLoung

YinLoung Regular Member

No, it's the thin and pale guy, and yup, I asked to replace the grommet. I guess the guy u're talking about is the one who knows a lot but doesnt string a lot of rackets. It has always been "Bob" who string mines :crying:

Ya, I bring my own string. Although they "recommend to use their strings" which are supposely "better" cuz....it's theirs...

Anyway, we'll see what happens tuesday. If they string it badly, it's byebye and + more money on stringing for me :crying:

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    After all the conversation, and you still want to leave your rackets there? Both of them? Man, I don't know what to say. Just pray and I wish you the best of luck... :eek:

In you are in montreal area, why not try to ask around to see whether there are any reputable stringers around all the clubs? I am sure not every players in montreal has to go to sport expert? :rolleyes: Try to give Racketsportmontreal a call, and see if they can help you out. ;)

17. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    :eek::eek::eek:

:D:D:D

18. greyes

greyes Regular Member

professor
    sports experts

My friend who strings works out of UQAM downtown. He charges between $17-20 total cost with YY BG65, 65Ti, BG66, BG70pro & BG85. If you bring your own strings (like me) he charges $10. Note that he only does 2 piece stringing,, but can string at as high a tension as you want (6 pt machine). Aussi, il parle chinois et francais; son anglais est le pire! :) PM me if you're interested, and i'll give you his contact info.

19. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    if i were u,i'd ask him.."So,if u said SP were all fakes,then can u please kindly which one is the real one?"
    24 is too high?In my place,almost all of the badminton stores would accept 26-28 with no hesitation..of couse,if the racket is still in a good condition.

20. Dealucis

Dealucis Regular Member

Holy sh*t.. Like the others said, you shouldn't have left the racquet there. Obviously, they're a bunch of arrogant idiots who's probably bored and decided to pick on you. If I were you, i would've replied "i don't give a damn if you're a professional. Right now, you're the shopkeeper, and I'm the customer. I didn't come here for advice, I came here to get my racquet strung. Don't like it? I'll go somewhere else and string my racquet" *and walks off*