Add a little extra tension if pulling more string?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by lostatse, May 11, 2008.

1. lostatse

lostatse Regular Member

Student
    Strung a nanospeed 9000 today, but when doing the first cross string/line (started at the top and worked down to throat) I wasn't able to use my flying clamps as there is only one string and normally you need two cross strings right? so instead I weaved the next line and pulled two strings with an extra half pound tension to compensate. For all the remaining crosses I was able to use flying clamps so I went back down to 24 lb tension for them (the intended tension).

I added 0.5 lb extra tension because I read someone else doing something similar on this forum, but when I think about it, it doesn't seem right does it? I mean the drop weight machine would have pulled both lines to the correct tension when horizontal regardless wouldn't it? so what I did was just a bit pointless?

Thanks for any clarity on this guys, not enjoying these new rackets where the mains can black the entrance for cross strings into the grommet...

2. lostatse

lostatse Regular Member

Student
    block* not black :)

3. 2007fp

2007fp Regular Member

Student
    I did something similar but I pull on the first crosses to stretch the string, weave second cross, pull (+1lbs) and clamp on the far side of the second string(the side away from the tensioner) then pull on the second string again(regular tension), and remove the clamp on the far side and clamp as you would normally do.

What I did might be useless, but I like it.
    Any other suggestions?

Yes the new grommets system is a bit annoying, cutting the string on an angle might help it, or try pre-weaving it.

4. lostatse

lostatse Regular Member

Student
    ahh that's an interesting method!

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Here's where a sharp nail clipper comes handy. ;)

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think the key for drop weight machine is to wait for a few extra seconds to let the gravity pulls the string to the level it should be. Whether there's a bit extra tension to be added, it only helps to shorten the time a bit. ;)