Crowd outside T&UC 08

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2008' started by rangrang, May 11, 2008.

1. rangrang

rangrang New Member

Hello,

I would like to post some of what I see yesterday in form of article and pictures. It's about ticket problem in first day of Thomas & Uber Cup 2008. I'm sorry if this doesn't connect directly with badminton. But this happened just outside the arena and I think it would be blind to ignore it.

Regards,

- - - - - - -

This Sunday noon promises an exciting day: witnessing our badminton athletes in action at Senayan. However, as with many promises said in this country, that promise had to be broken for many people.

I arrived at about 1 pm, the scheduled time for our Uber Cup team to play the Japanese team. The policeman I asked said the ticket can be reached at the ticket counter just outside the building, so I walked there. A shout or two was heard from people gathering outside the building’s gate. I didn’t understand what it was, but that’s when I sensed something was not right.

People crowded in front of the counters, about a hundred of them. No officials were seen in the counter, but we still waited. I waited for about twenty minutes. During that time, I heard conversations of people around me.

Apparently the ticket was sold out. Why? Most said the ticket was bought by the embassies, even though when seen from the television, the seats were less than half filled. A woman said the counter was opened at 9 am, but then only 10 tickets were available. I was bothered that instant, then I pulled out my camera.

The building gate appears to be closed just before, and suddenly opened. The people waiting in the front of the gate and the ticket counter instantly rushed toward the building. The numbered more than a hundred, and went straight to entry doors in the second floor.

I didn’t understand what was going on, nor did the other people around me it seems. There were no public information conveyed effectively. All were rumors and following the mass movements.

Several minutes later, emotional shouts were heard, from both the spectator and the police. Then the gate A2 was opened and the crowd of people were granted the access. The door was only half opened, and so the people rushed in, like a school of goldfish on a feeding time.

“The area is full,” another shout I heard, and the door was closed not long after that. People were still left outside. These then waited, again for something that is not certain.

The mass still flocked A6 gate. The doors there were not opened, while the access to the main gate was restricted again. The mass in ground floor waited in front of the main entrance as well. Once in a while the shouted with a half joking tone. “Long live ‘calo’,” was one of the shout. Calo is people who buys tickets in advance and then resell them with higher price. Fifty thousand rupiah bill were waved, a sign that the flock demanded not free entrance, but a ticket to buy.

At 4.30 pm, a communication with the organizers were visible, until a few moments later a policeman showed up in the center. He told the mass to return to the ticket counters and purchase tomorrow’s tickets there.

The people then rushed outside. Some of them suspected that once they get outside, the gates will be closed. But this didn’t happen. Crowd of people was then again seen at the ticket counters, this time depending on the promise of tickets for yesterday. At 4 pm, this crowd is still waiting, with still no officials in sight.

Meanwhile, my time was short. I had to go somewhere. So I departed that place.

I was just thinking. Thomas and Uber Cup, one of the most prestigious event in badminton, the sports in which Indonesia has the most proudful achievements. This competition is held every two years in different countries. The last time Indonesia became a host nation was in 2004. I don’t know when we will become a host again. This is a rare chance for our common people to meet and directly support their own heroes to compete carrying the national identity.

It’s a pity this event had to be tainted with ticketing problems. I don’t know whether its because of the ticket wholesaler or because of ‘calo’. I don’t know whether its because of the lack of effective communication from the organizers or because of the noisy local supporters. One thing I know is that it is not fitting for supporters, of any team, to have to wait for hours without any information, or be allowed to rush inside without earning the access, as if a group of looters. Anyhow, this the local supporters, and the name of the competition this time was added a local company name.

As far as I could see, the promising day ended with a promise for tomorrow. But I’m not waiting on that anymore.

1. Crowd at the ticket counters.

[​IMG]

2. Rushing to second floor.

[​IMG]

3. People rushing to get in.

[​IMG]

4. A child with dad rushing in.

[​IMG]

5. People at gate A6.

[​IMG]

6. Children playing while waiting.

[​IMG]

7. Waiting.

[​IMG]

8. A family waiting.

[​IMG]

9. Waving money.

[​IMG]

10. People.

[​IMG]

11. Behind the fence and people with tickets.

[​IMG]

12. Peeking in the dark glass.

[​IMG]

13. Crowd in ground floor.

[​IMG]

14. Girls inside the building while people were outside.

[​IMG]

15. Family.

[​IMG]

16. Father & son waiting

[​IMG]

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

thanks for the wondeful report ad welcome to bc forum:)
    pls post more reports like this:)
    thnks

3. ricksakti

ricksakti Regular Member

Surgeon
    Wow...Thanks alot for your worthy journalistic story...
    This kind of problem never end. Hehehe... it happens everywhere, and every aspect of life there, in fact about everything.

4. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    You would think that the Indonesian organisers would be more organised?

This is going to be a black mark on the next application Indonesia makes to host any prestigious badminton event!

5. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Thanks for the report and wonderful photos.

It happened again. I remembered that I encounterd the similar situation whereby "Calo" re-sold the train tickets with a much higher price during Christmas period years ago in Jakarta.

6. Chibot

Chibot Regular Member

Thanks for the report and photos

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There are always ticket touts for major events in any country. Very difficult to control.

Look on the good side - badminton is popular!

Thanks for the report.

Any improvement for today?

8. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Yes there is improvement! On Sunday, the organizers didn't expect such a HUGE turnout. They only printed 2500 tix for a stadium that house 8500. Cost saving, they said. Since Monday night, they printed 8500...

9. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The above complete report has described reality about ticket chaos. The organizer isn't capable and so amateur to manage this top-level sport event, getting worse than four years ago edition.

KOMPAS today's edition reported, because of bdm fans huge enthusiasm to watch TUC, the organizer finally decided to sell TUC semifinal and final tickets through three new locations beside venue ticket window, here they are :
    - Wisma Karsa Pemuda, 2nd Floor (Gerbang Pemuda Senayan)
    - Ticket Box Ibu Dibyo (Cikini area)
    - Susy Sports (Kelapa Gading - North Jakarta)

10. gendruw

gendruw Regular Member

sorry to hear that, rangrang. that really discourages me (and many people i know) to come to istora. i guess we'll just cheer up in front of tv :(

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hmm...i think we needed a stadium as large as a 1/3 of stamford brigde stadium...^^...i cant recall that any stadium of badminton have more than 10k capacity...

12. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Thanks for 1st hand report. Non Indonesia press also reported the rush. Journalists wrote abt the "almost riot" & touts selling the tickets

13. Shiryu

Shiryu Regular Member

Nerd
    WOW... I thought it was a football match from first glance.

I can only wish badminton is this popular where I live.

Thanks for the wonderful pictures.

14. ronnie14

ronnie14 Regular Member

we need bigger stadiums..seriously, all around d world

15. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Istora is a building that was finished in 1962 by our 1st President, Soekarno. Ever since that time... our government never bothered to upgrade it significantly and won't spend much $$$ building a new one...

In 1962, INA's population was 120 million and Jakarta's population was 4 million. Now in 2008, INA's population is 240 million and Jakarta's population is 10 million. In 2038, maybe INA's population is 320 million while Jakarta's population is 15 million. Currently, Istora's theoretical capacity is 10,000 spectators. But Actually, we should build at least a 30,000 capacity one to be used until 2038, he he he...

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Krisna.. maybe you can do something about it?

17. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    If I'm the President of INA, that will be the 1st thing on my budget priority list! Fuel and food subsidy has to take a back-seat! Badminton development is priority#1! :cool:

18. badadum

badadum Regular Member

Thank god you're not running for presidency!! :p

19. gendruw

gendruw Regular Member

Krisna for the President!! :D

20. gargoyle

gargoyle Regular Member

Nice report rangrang.

I heard the organizer will put a big screen outside stadium.