User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jhirata View Post
    umm.. so does my calculator, my text books, etc.. Because you know.. I'm always bored.
    yonex should pay u for your advertisement I know a dotcom company paid someone several ten of thousands of $ to have their company name inked on his forehead for several months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a good idea. i'll try this. the foam is very light right? does it weigh less than the original yonex grip?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so, the idea is to make the grip soft? so you swing it more loosely?

from my point of view, such a soft grip will get 75% of the user to squeeze it like hell...
    Now, a G3 grip with just an overgrip on it...you don't see to many people squeezing it

How about towelgrip? or towelgrip as a replacementgrip, and an overgrip on top?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerby View Post
    so, the idea is to make the grip soft? so you swing it more loosely?

from my point of view, such a soft grip will get 75% of the user to squeeze it like hell...
    Now, a G3 grip with just an overgrip on it...you don't see to many people squeezing it

How about towelgrip? or towelgrip as a replacementgrip, and an overgrip on top?
    Yop.. my grip is black already, even before using it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "leverage" idea is absolutly right. But instead of using foam, you need to train your fingers. Especially the 3 lower fingers to losen the grip before the impact. Tighten them when the racket impact the birdie. It is a very standard training. May be foam will make u feel better... . never tried, can't commend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HappyTA5 View Post
    The "leverage" idea is absolutly right. But instead of using foam, you need to train your fingers. Especially the 3 lower fingers to losen the grip before the impact. Tighten them when the racket impact the birdie. It is a very standard training. May be foam will make u feel better... . never tried, can't commend
    ur warmer

first is to improve on core technique, then one progress to their own way or styles of stroke executiion, then u know what type of grip that would fit u the best.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HappyTA5 View Post
    Actually it is the other way, in that the lower 3 fingers hold on to the handle with the thumb and index finger in space. Closing the thumb and index finger at time of impact is leverage in action. Ala Lin Dan, closing the thumb and index finger on the wooden, ungripped top part of the handle gives you additional leverage because there is more space to generate leverage. A progressive foam grip also generates leverage during the compression stage because it is easier to get results when compared with a hard, non-compressible grip which requires more skill. The standard to use when evaluating how much leverage or power your grip gives you is to compare it with a bare, ungripped, wooden handle. Of course a skilled player can still generate leverage from such bare bones setup, but everyone will get more leverage with a grip. The compressible grip will generate more leverage than one that does not compress at all. And there are compressible, grips, and there are compressible grips. It is up to you-to buy or to DIY.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So your saying if I have a thin grip I won't have as much power as a cushioned grip? I hope not, I have a stretched out Wilson Xtra Tack grip and its pretty bare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so.. I tried it out yesterday. Taneepak was right, the material wasn't good at all. It was soft and cushiony in the beginning but after about 30 mins, it became all hard. After 2 hours of hard-hitting, I ended up with a bruise on my thumb. Hehe I I figured out that the finger-power grip is quite effective. It's much more powerful IMO because I hold the racquet at the very bottom of the handle.. I feel sorry for my friend who I used as a practise target.

I've replaced the hardened foam with the original yonex grip which came with the racquet. I hope my bruise will be gone by the time I play again tommorow..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ouch. i couldnt find a very suitable foam-like material. Anyone know whats the Thickest but lightest grip?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    To "enlarge" this "leverage" even more, you can actually look no further than the handle/grip. All you need is to get a foam-like material, say like a firm, external foam tape weather strip that is about 3mm thick, of a very high quality that can be compressed as you grip the handle when you smash or hit a shot, and then spring back to its original state.
    Where do you get these ideas from?

What you are describing is a method for making the handle absorb force. This is undesirable because you want that force to be transferred into racket head speed, not racket grip compression.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    Where do you get these ideas from?

What you are describing is a method for making the handle absorb force. This is undesirable because you want that force to be transferred into racket head speed, not racket grip compression.
    You can test this theory with your own racquet. Just strip the grip and play with bare wood and then back to the normal gripped handle. Grip compression is actually additional leverage from your fingers, which is power transfer from faster hand speed. It explains why some players find larger grips give more power, which they do not get from large bare wood handles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you could...you know... grip your racket more relaxed...

with short strokes, like smash defenses, netshots, deceptive lobs. A squishy grip feels awful. You can't use your finger effectively to play a lob/net kill/anything, because the grip dampens everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Gamma Replacement Grip on mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by SpendorK; 05-20-2008 at 08:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is that blue stuff in the middle of the grip? Foam?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gamma called it : "Gel".

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast