A kind of new format for TUC

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2008' started by cxytdn, May 13, 2008.

1. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

According to the world team ranking, manager decide every team place from 1st to 12th in Group A, B, C.

All teams shall play each other in groups of 4. Each such group of 4 shall have the teams ranked as the table.

The top 2 teams in Group A, B, C should come in Group E of 6, and 3rd, 4th teams in Group A, B, C should come in Group F of 6.

All teams shall play in Group E where all teams play each other for final 1st - 6th. All teams shall play in Group F where all teams play each other for final 7th - 12th. teams who had played each other in Group A or B or C don't play each other again, the result in Group A or B or C should be as the result in Group E or F.

Attached Files:

#1 cxytdn, May 13, 2008
    Last edited: May 13, 2008
  2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Wasn't the old system 3 groups already? Simplest is: 2 groups of 6 And A1 plays B4 in the QF, etc.
    Unfortunately unlike in the Sudriman there is no promotion or relegation to/from lower groups so maybe A5-B6 can play for ranking points ...

Oh yeah: where is your group F? edit: probably E = D and F = E ;)

3. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

:pE = D and F = E :p

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Let's see
    3 full days to finish the preliminary round (for both Thomas and Uber, 4 courts, 3 sessions per day)
    4 full days to finish the final round (based on same criteria)
    Total 7 days, but every day packed full of matches, not so bad

But...
    Too many uninteresting matches (giant v ant, ant v ant), but it's not so different from Sudirman Cup, I guess.
    BIG BUT - There is no final. The final day could be anti-climatic.

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i think the current system in the preliminary rounds is fine.
    once you have the winners, runners up and last place from each group, do a random draw to put them in each quarter according to how they finish in the group and you'll most likely have every team trying to win every match.

6. d65up2

d65up2 Regular Member

Student
    too complicated I dun understand hohohohoho...I'd say keep the current format then top 2 teams qualify and then do the drawing after the teams qualify

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

The very first thing in the current system is to eliminate the 3rd placed team. You lose, you're out. Forget about playoffs (boooooring :cool:) Redraw, go straight to the QF (all 1s v all 2s). Redraw for SF, then Final.

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Less excitement without knockout rounds. Also I think too many matches (8) for the teams; you might find them balking at that. With the current system, CHN will play 5 matches if they reach the final.

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I'd propose...

...the simplest route: if they're sticking with 3 teams per group, eliminate the last place team in a group before the elimination round:p:cool:..Thank goodness it was only 1 team doing the honor, not several teams. Can you all imagine the scene??..:confused: :rolleyes::p

10. bcmmgr

bcmmgr Regular Member

The reason why the system want 2nd & 3rd to have a playoff is because they want to promote the badminton game to the weak country, so the weak team especially 3rd place can play one more game (to explore and experience more with this extra one game) instead of come all the way and only play 2 game then go home.

So I still think the system is ok, be re-draw is good option to go. Unless you can have better system that the weak team can play more game before go back. And agree with knockout rounds is more excitement.

#10 bcmmgr, May 13, 2008
  11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Partly the flaw..

..that's partly, very small, the flaw of the system...Imagine if Nigeria and England were in the same group as Korea and Korea intentionally lost all of their ties in order to be put in the opposite half as CHN. Does Nigeria or England, which ever comes out first, deserve the top seed (automatic Semis)??..:confused: :p

Like a few of the teams' managers have said, "it's the system"...:eek:

#11 ctjcad, May 13, 2008
  12. d65up2

d65up2 Regular Member

Student
    Well wateva the system is....Maria Kristin is the cutest!!! lol...I am happy to just see Maria Kristin

13. madbad

madbad Regular Member

If the 4 eliminated 3rd place team want an extra game, they could have their own playoff round. Do a random draw and pit these teams in a SF round. The winners play in the final for 9th & 10th. The losers play for 11th & 12th.

These teams would be more evenly matched and it would certainly better for them to be in a competitive environment instead of being thrashed all ends up. Chances of completing all 5 matches are also higher.

14. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

New format of thomas cup:

Attached Files:

• 123.gif
      123.gif
      File size:
      45.3 KB
      Views:
    #14 cxytdn, May 24, 2008
    Last edited: May 24, 2008
  15. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    I don't exactly know the badminton economics of this particular suggestion that I have but: can't we just have 16 teams competing in the Thomas final round and 16 teams for the Uber final round?

Thus, for Thomas, we can have group A-B-C-D. Uber will have V-W-X-Y. For the Quarterfinals, only the top 2 teams of each group can advance. This is similar to the Football World Cup concept.

16. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    In case you haven't done so, you can see Maria Kristin's profile and photos at www.pbdjarum.com :p Maria's photos from the INA Superliga last year were very good...

17. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    It creates a bit of a logistic problem. Over 3 days, each day will require 16 ties (2 ties per group). Assuming only 4 courts in the arena and 3 sessions per day, we can only finish 12 ties per day. If we seperate Thomas and Uber, I guess this problem goes away.

However, we still are not solving the problem of giving away ties a la Korea. Teams may still want to finish second. The only way is still to draw for the quarterfinals.

18. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Ah yes yes, in the Football Worldcup, they use multiple stadiums... :p In Indonesia, many National Circuits use multiple stadiums too... But I can see the problem where many hosts can't provide the logistical support...

Hmmm... the problem of giving away ties... is less of a problem in today's football because they reward 3 points for the winner, 1 point for a draw, and 0 for the loser. In the past, when winning does not mean 3 points, we did see many 'suspicious' results... :p