Elbow Can't Flex All The Way Like The Non Racket Arm

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by BD-Fan, May 14, 2008.

1. BD-Fan

BD-Fan Regular Member

I have noticed that my right elbow can't flex all the way like my non-racket arm for few years now. Basicly my racket hand can't reach my shoulder in side way like my other hand do. It doesn't effect my play but I do feel I have limited arm movement range when trying to reach my back during a shower.
    Caven Horn (not sure the exact name spelling), the former U.S. Champion also mentioned that he suffered the same kind of elbow injury in a DVD badminton tourament that he was one of the broadcasting commentators of the matches.
    I was wondering if any other BC-member has the some elbow problem and would like to share some experience with me.

I have visited doctor and physio on this, but nothing seems can be done.

Thanks,
    BD-Fan

2. Kevindoui

Kevindoui Regular Member

Support clerk
    It might not be a medical problem. I to have less felxibility from my racket arm. I think its due to the fact that my right arm is bigger than my left (im right handed). Maybe you could try just streching. unless it is a medical problem.

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Ehh...I can't do that either, but it's kinda because my muscles (biceps) are getting in the way. I'm pretty sure my elbows are fine though.

4. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

ya its a flexibility issue and the muscles basically getting in the way. After I do some wrist curls or some bicep curls I have to force my right arm even harder to get the same or almost same reach with my left.

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    This is not uncommon among badminton players. There are some ex-champions who cannot even brush their teeth properly or touch their ear with their playing hand. Although they can still play well, their playing arm actually has lost some "stretch" and hence power.
    There are some simple exercises you can do to get your playing arm to regain the full range of flexion and extension. Some of these are:
    1. Stretch your playing arm straight either down near your waist or straight in front or up overhead, and then with the other hand hold on to the four fingers of the playing hand (palm to palm contact). Push your playing arm by extending fully and at the same time use your left hand's fingers to pull back. This is called resistance push and pull. You must push and pull hard for a minute. Repeat 2 more times. This is one routine. Do as many routines as you can daily, the more the better, whether it is before games or after.
    2. Next exercise is to put your playing arm behind your head, over towards your left shoulder, use your other hand to grab onto the elbow of the bent arm and pull it towards the left until you feel some pain or discomfort and then hold for 1/2 minute. Do this 3 to 4 times in one routine. Daily do about 3 to 4 routines.
    3. This is the best and it involves the use of a 2kg dumbell. Grab the dumbell with your playing arm and raise it up overhead. Then use your other hand to cup or support the elbow of your dumbell arm. You must support your dumbell elbow well with your left hand to prevent posiible injury. Now use the dumbell the way you do a racquet backswing by simply flexing your playing arm backwards quickly and then fully sxtending it upwards. Do not let your dumbell or playing arm drop in front. The movement is from up to behind and then back to up. You have to do this arm/dumbell flexion/extension very quickly-that is why you need to support the elbow with the other hand-for about 20 times. Repeat 2 more times, thus giving you a total of 60 times.

I can assure you that you will see some improvements almost immediately after just one or two routines. But you will have to do this daily if you want to continue playing badminton to keep your playing arm supple.

6. BD-Fan

BD-Fan Regular Member

Thanks taneepak,

I will try these exercises and see how it goes.