Malaysia Boleh Spirits

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Dato A, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    What does this mean to you?

Possitive attitude or Negative Attitude? Sometimes confused...

For Non-Malaysian, what do you think when Malaysian shouting Malaysia Boleh for certain occasion or events or anywhere or whatsoever or just simply shout or read it on the reply on BC forum?

Malaysian people, what about you?

MALAYSIA BOLEH!!:D:D

2. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Or maybe someone can tell us who's the one whose the one who r first using the ' Malaysia Boleh' slogan and its history...?

3. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

It only means a word of encouragement to the MAS player, nothing else. Since Bahasa Malaysia is the first language of Malaysia, the use of Malaysia Boleh as a slogan seems appropriate. What would you suggest?

Other countries use different slogan. For example, China/Singapore fans use the Chinese words "Jia You". Fans living in a coutry where English is the first language would probably use "Go <country> Go!".

4. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    Dr M.......................:)

5. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    It's an awkward-sounding phrase to begin with, and even with it's longevity, has a somewhat degraded image that's difficult to rally behind as it's portrayed on achievements that are "copied," or superficial.

"Semangat Malaysia" sounds better. Under-statements work better for chants, not over-statements.

-dave

#5 wood_22_chuck, May 15, 2008
    Last edited: May 15, 2008
  6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

hence, the name Bolehland. the usage of "Malaysia Boleh" really needs to be cut down. i reckon its perfectly alright during sporting events but other than that, it gets a bit... excessive, if you will.

7. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    I thought Pemuda is the 1st person who use the slogan:D:D

PEMUDA BOLEH!!:D:D

i agree. better use 'semangat malaysia' rather than 'Malaysia Boleh'.

8. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Dont u feel something with 'Malaysia Boleh'?
    It goes straight to heart.Thats how u feel the love.

9. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Feel what? When malaysian ppl climb up to the tallest moutain in the world, they shout 'malaysia boleh!!'

When the fellow get ready to the the russia taxi to space, they shout 'malaysia boleh!!'

When those college students make the biggest roti canai and break the record, they shout 'malaysia boleh!!'

U feel great on it?

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hmm...it still do malaysia 'proud'...so...need to use also...:D

11. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Im feeling great of those u have wrote.
    That doesnt restrict me to be a better malaysian.the simplest thing i can do -Do well in life,avoid drugs,appreciate govn helps,avoid Ji/al-qaeda,love malaysia for who she is.

#11 koo_fan, May 16, 2008
    Last edited: May 16, 2008
  12. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

when the man liberated the nation, they shouted "merdeka".... so if there is no point shouting "malaysia boleh" then there is no point shouting "merdeka" because look what that has done for the 50-year-old. it would've been much better off if it remained a colony (a la Hong Kong).

i think conquering everest is a remarkable feat for any individual. space taxi, maybe not. biggest roti canai, hey, i don't mind, as long as its roti canai telur or bawang. ;)

13. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    "Merdeka" was the chant Tunku Abdul Rahman voiced to the nation signifying the end of the colonization of Malaysia.

And if I understand you correctly, climbing Mt. Everest, hopping on a space taxi, and, god forbid, slinging the world's largest roti canai is equivalent to orchestrating national independence?

-dave

14. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Dato,

You touched a subject very close to my heart.

I will not use Singapore as a comparison this time as many Malaysians will say that it is unfair to use Singapore. I will use South Korea instead. In 1960, Korea's GDP per capita was USD156 while Malaysia was USD300. Fast forward to 2007, Korea's GDP per capita was USD20,582 as compared to Malaysia's USD6,648. See the gap between us and Korea? 48 years ago, our GDP per capita was double of Korea's. But 48 years later, Korea have not only caught up, they have overtaken us as their GDP per capita now is 3 times ours!

Where is our Malaysia Boleh?
    If I had used Singapore, it would have been more painful.

Do we have any Malaysian companies that are a global player like Samsung, DBS Bank, Fraser and Neave, SIA, Keppel Corporation, Creative Technology, Daewoo Group etc??

Where is our Malaysia Boleh when we dont even have any Malaysian companies that are considered a global brand?

15. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Honestly,i was waiting for ur very first post in this thread.
    U have come out with not-so-new points.Just the word 'singapore' changed to 'korea'.And i have so many prejudices to this nation for what they have done in this tc.I'll try to put it aside.

Yes.The biggest company that we have is Petronas.And that's 500th in the world.Perhaps i can say that is nothing compared to korea's.
    we are not progressing as much as they do for the last 50 years.But,try to consider how much this government has to do to keep the multicitizens to work together,progress and at the same time,compete with korea.

We are not world powerhouse in economic aspect,but i was proud enough to go out from malaysia and shout malaysia boleh.Something my seniors around me are not able to do.

Our progression was not that great,but we have done the best.
    Just go on with more and more.What happen next is what count.

16. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Petronas is a government linked type of company. Do we have any Malaysian companies that are globally known that are not linked to our government? We cant even venture out and be successful because we are so used to the spoon feeding and all. We cant compete with the big fishes out there because take away our subsidies, we are like a baby without a diaper and soothie.

Korea did a great job in the TC in Jakarta. They beat the host and are playing China in the final today. Korean shuttlers have won the Olympic gold and WCs.

Whether my points are 'not-so-new' or not, it is the reality of our nation. And it is sad to see young Malaysians instead of addressing the issues are ignoring it. It wont be long before countries like Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia will surge ahead of Malaysia just like what Korea did.

What is so proud to 'go out of Malaysia and shout Malaysia Boleh'?? By doing so we are just telling others of our 1st world facilities and 3rd world mentality. Look for yourself, our standard of education is very poor. Our local grads are not wanted by multinationals because our universities are ranked outside the top 200. Our local grads cant compete in the job market because their command of English is generally poor. Our best students tend to work overseas, thus we have a serious brain drain issue.

You still didnt get the point about us and Korea. In 1960, we were ahead of them but now, they have progressed so far ahead of us that we have lost sight of them. Why is that so? In Malaysia, we have natural resources. We have oil and Petronas's revenues last year were in the region of RM70 billion. Why despite all our natural resources, we are unable to be ahead of Korea?? If we look at Singapore, it is even more painful. Singapore is just a dot. They have no land, no natural resources and certainly no oil. But again, why are we behind Singapore??

Are you saying we should compare with Nepal, Sudan, Yemen, Togo etc? Only then we can go out and shout Malaysia Boleh?

17. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

so we should improve our government. start from the top, all the way down to the people.

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Both Malaysia and South Korea have progressed over the last 30 years. The difference is in the rate of progress. After the 2nd WW the Philippines was the most progressive Asian country, ahead of Japan. Sixty years later the order has changed. This is a competition driven world. If you cannot compete you just go to the tail end of the line.
    Malaysia Boleh was probably a slogan to motivate the country to stay ahead of the pack. From some perspective it has; from others it has not. Compared with Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Philippines it has done very well. Compared with Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, China, India, and Singapore, it is being left behind.

19. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    The 'Malaysia Boleh' can be use, but please use it wisely.

U made the biggest mooncakes then u ashout it out it is no point.

U re-produce other ppl's designed cars and put on your own logo then u shout it out that is no point also.

50 years of independence, we r not progressing, we are left behind.

People r still defending by putting malaysia achievements against country like Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Philipines etc. and proud of it. This is the evidence of how poor is our education system is. How the youngsters think, i mean the way they think.

If you are a proton, please do compare with TOYOTA,HONDA or even BMW. Dont go and compare with TATA or other CHN-MADE car manufacturer.(Although our car quality is the same, or maybe 1 level down.:D)

Always compare with the better rather than the worse.

Malaysia Really Boleh?

20. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    This is a very sensitive phrase. A lot of things can be elaborate on it.

Depends on how u see and how u feel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.