User Tag List

Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 LastLast
Results 1,038 to 1,054 of 1086
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koo_fan View Post

However, We don't have negative discrimination. It is positive discrimination, it's not the the case of apartheid etc. You cannot equalize America and Malaysia then. But the same journey goes on.
    I don't know what is "positive discrimination" but according to the Concise Oxford Dictionary "discrimination" is "the action of discriminating against people and to "discriminate against" means "make an unjust distinction in the treatment of different categories of people, espeically on the grounds of race, ***, or age".

I don't know how many people know that in Singapore's case, the government has been treating its minority Malay citizens on a special basis by given them certain preferences especially in education. Knowing that many Malay families come from poor financial background, together with special interest groups, the government collaborates to help them break off from poverty by ensuring that Malay children receive as good an education as others. A better education generally means a better life for many.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Positive Discrimination in One's Actions (on the basis of factor X) is to give more favorable treatment to those with factor X than to those without X.
    Negative Discrimination in One's Actions (on the basis of factor X) is to give less favorable treatment to those with factor X than to those without X.
    Positive Discrimination on the Basis of X.
    Negative Discrimination on the Basis of Not-X. X = nationality, race, age etc.
    Earlier, that's the idea of privileges in Malaysia. i must say, one need to have solid reason to implement the positive discrimination. And we did, once.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drifit View Post
    Gamers smash world record

The gamers who participated in Cyberfusion’s One Nation Cyberjaya world record attempt for the longest LAN party have succeeded in style.
    Supervised by officials from the Guinness World Records, Malaysia now officially holds the world record for longest LAN party.
    Starting at midnight on Saturday and ending at 4pm on Sunday, 274 gamers played non-stop for 40 hours.
    The participants brought and boasted the power and superiority of their own computers while waiting in line to get registered. All players were given five minutes bathroom break per hour which can be accumulated according to the Guinness rules.
    Many took full advantage of the rule to accumulate their breaks and used the time to sleep in their car.
    However, rumours of a player who did not take a single break in 40 hours could not be verified.
    There were also a few who faltered or did not return within the stipulated time and were subsequently disqualified.
    The original plan was to break the record of 36 hours by an extra two which would have set the record at 38 hours. Just before the 38th hour mark, when the record had already been broken, the organisers asked the players if they could push on to 40. By a majority vote, they agreed buoyantly to continue.
    With energy drinks strewn all over the floor and sleep deprived gamers sluggishly walking to the exits, some still had the energy to talk about what this means for Malaysian gaming.
    Eighteen-year-old student Ng Yun Bin, who was playing a variety of games including DotA and Left 4 Dead, said Malaysian gaming will certainly benefit from this. “Malaysia is already quite good in many games and we have many events here already,” said Ng. “This record will give us even more exposure and more events will be held here.”
    Some players even came in pairs. Two students, 23-year-old Ansarul Iqmal Roslan and 22-year-old Nurul Nisa Omar are a couple who decided to be part of the record together.
    “I’ve loved gaming since I was a kid so this was not that hard for me,” said Ansarul.
    “I think more gaming companies will want to have events in Malaysia after this which is great.”
    He also appreciated having his girlfriend with him to keep him company, especially since she is not a passionate gamer like him.
    AMD and Cyberview Sdn Bhd marked the occasion as a success. Managing director of Cyberview Datuk Redza Rafiq said that the record attempt along with the other competitions held at Cyberfusion will serve as the catalyst for Malaysia’s bid to host the 2010 World Cyber Games Asian Championship.
    Cyberfusion, organised by Cyberview Sdn Bhd and AMD, was held at Multimedia University (MMU) in Cyberjaya.

from the star online newspaper

more Malaysia bolehhhh.........!!
    malaysia boleh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Off topic-Since you guys mentioned it..

Quote Originally Posted by Dato Asbullah View Post
    US took 200++ years to reach at the current stage. What would u expect from mas since we're only 52 years old?
    Quote Originally Posted by koo_fan View Post
    And who would ever thought on his second full day in office, the President would made a major gesture toward restoring the Constitution.I'd not comment whether or not Obama did a good work to make sure he'd not eat his words - "McCain, what is the economy you are talking about?" . I wish him luck, though. McCain just not doing great with his " America's economy fundamentally strong"?? It is not ordinary to see one black people to be up there, but it is ordinary to see one black people, who is coincidentally extraordinary in character, to be up there.
    ..if you guys haven't seen it, you guys should see the video link i posted (on page 61, post #1023) of the "Sky is Falling" thread-->as it relates to the American type of government and what makes it what the country it is. Guess where America is now heading towards??..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dato Asbullah View Post
    US took 200++ years to reach at the current stage. What would u expect from mas since we're only 52 years old?
    Maybe it would be wise for any 52 yr old nation to pick and learn what made a 200+ yr old nation successful and ditch the part that did not work. In USA and in Canada, generally speaking, the opportunity to succeed whether in school or in business, the best mind wins regardless of race.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zabee View Post
    techinally Singapore national languange is Malay & thier national antem too is in malay, but seriously i don't think much singaporean barely understood the meaning of it ...they uses English, Mandrain & local dialects such as Hokkien as thier main lingua franca .. so if they put Cantonese or Mandrain as the offical languange China can claim Singapore belons to them, cos both languange was a main lingua franca or dialects in China....by putting Malay is the offical languange at least they are still consider part of " Kepulaan Melayu "
    It is true of what you said. Only the Malays and others who have studied Malay could really understand the Malay language because while Malay is one of the official languages, it is not in common use. And most of us would agree that in order to be proficient in a language, regular practice is necessary.

The common languages used in Singapore is English and Mandarin, but English is the dominant business language unless one does business with China, in which case much Mandarin would be used. And this is of tremendous advantage to Singapore since we are able to transact business with many of the world's major economic powers, including China and India.

However, the general proficiency level of our students in Mandarin is only about GCE 'O' level which must be considered at best to be just passable and those who wish to do business in China would do well to pursue the language at a higher level. Gifted students are given an opportunity to study Higher Chinese in schools.

And to maintain an interest in Malay, I understand that courses are offered by the government to non-Malays to study as a third language just as those who are interested in the major European languages like German, French, Spanish and Asian ones like Japanese. In general much effort must be put in to be able to master three languages in schools.

With neighbours like Indonesia and Malaysia using a closely-related language like Bahasa Indonesia and Malay, it makes a lot of sense for Singapore to take a keener interest in the study of this language. Especially for those considering to do business with Indonesia, one of the most populous countries in the world.

And I think precisely because we have to consider the 'feelings' of our two close neighbours that our early leaders found it fit to include Malay as Singapore's national language although in practice, Malay is hardly used and understood. However, the older generation of Singaporeans perhaps were more adept at speaking 'pasar' Malay than the present generation.

The circumstances under which Singapore had to leave Malaysia perhaps made it 'politically expedient' to do so since tiny Singapore's survival means having to make peace with and be a friend to all, especially with our much bigger neighbours.
    Last edited by Loh; 04-21-2009 at 11:40 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Exclamation Caution Advised

It'd be best if we steered our discussions away from these topics:
    Politics, Religion, Income, S e x, Origins (Race) and Nationality
    (An apt mnemonic for these dispute-ridden subjects is P-R-I-S-O-N )

Freedom of speech is, of course, in public interest.
    But 'public interest' doesn't mean what interests the public.
    Rather, it has more to do with what benefits the public.

Discussions and debates on these issues never end in agreement.
    Nor do they progress to an informative, lively exchange of views.
    If anything, they end in a trading of verbal blows and a lot of rancour.

As such, they are quite unlikely to benefit either us or the forum.
    If anyone must continue, please feel free to join these communities.

Back to Malaysia Boleh, please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love everyone..... Love.... think positive and encourage yourself to show others you are good. This way you will influence people to join your ideology.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    It'd be best if we steered our discussions away from these topics:
    Politics, Religion, Income, S e x, Origins (Race) and Nationality
    (An apt mnemonic for these dispute-ridden subjects is P-R-I-S-O-N )
    What about that thread; Women Menstrual Cycle? And since 'income' is also another taboo subject, is that thread; How much do you earn a month ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    Back to Malaysia Boleh, please
    Ok ... here's another Malaysia Boleh feat ... in 2004 Proton bought MV Agusta for EUR 70 million. However a year later in 2005 Proton then sold MV Agusta for EUR 1.00

Proton should have sold MV Agusta to me instead. I would have bought it for EUR 10.00

Malaysia Boleh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a very good compliment........................................ ..............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default erm, shud be in 2006...

Hmmm, not a boleh feat, this one... esp. when proton ended up paying the Euro70 million debt it took for the acquisition... The selling was to safe itself from being drag into the brink of bankruptcy as the case of Agusta, but buying that company when it accumulated losses consistently, at a very high price is insane...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pemuda View Post
    What about that thread; Women Menstrual Cycle? And since 'income' is also another taboo subject, is that thread; How much do you earn a month ok?

Ok ... here's another Malaysia Boleh feat ... in 2004 Proton bought MV Agusta for EUR 70 million. However a year later in 2005 Proton then sold MV Agusta for EUR 1.00

Proton should have sold MV Agusta to me instead. I would have bought it for EUR 10.00

Malaysia Boleh!
    women's menstrual cycle affecting one's badminton game?
    i dont see it as a *** discussion topic. maybe my eyes arent that good anymore.....
    i guess that you should know Oldhand's intention.

that Proton bought Agusta isnt that big deal. Eur 70m only....

Pemuda,
    did you hear that Malaysia is going to buy submarines through a local Sendirian Berhad(Private Limited) company?

Malaysia sure boleh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zabee View Post
    that's why i say a good compliment..........yang berunsur sindiran.......

Noted boss... not referring at your post actually ...

I feel the spirit of Malaysia Boleh should not be scrutinized as many countries also applies the similar spirit in facing this competitive world. This spirit will continue in motivating us towards moving forward and in believing that one day Malaysia/Malaysian will be what we visioned to be, though along the way, we definitely have to make some sacrifices and there will be dissatisfaction... let's not be too blinded by others' success ... even the most successful countries have their own dark secrets...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drifit View Post
    Pemuda,
    did you hear that Malaysia is going to buy submarines through a local Sendirian Berhad(Private Limited) company?

Malaysia sure boleh!
    That one eh? Not a suprise at all. Adeh, heart attack la.
    And yes, i think Proton screwed up inside and it shows up in their several ridiculous decisions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Very laughable

To say that Proton sale of MV Agusta was to safeguard itself from bankruptcy is laughable.

It is laughable because Proton sold off MV Agusta one year after buying it.

It is laughable, very laughable because Proton sold off MV Agusta for EUR1.00 after buying it for EUR70 million only one year ago. What kind of depreciation is that!! And you dont need an accountant to tell you that as I believe even my 12 year old cousin brother will say it is madness to buy something for EUR70 million and then sell it off for EUR1.00 after 12 months or so.

What 'safe itself from bankruptcy' are we talking about here?? First of all, we are talking about EUR70 million here, and that is about RM300 million +/-. Proton is not buying a packet of nasi lemak for RM1.50. To make such an investment, there should be such an exercise called feasibility study conducted by Proton in the first place. To say Proton need to sell after a year in order to save itself is lame.

Rather than sell of MV Agusta for a mere EUR1.00 to 'save itself from bankruptcy', I would be more than happy to pay Proton EUR10.00 cash upfront for MV Agusta.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before we go about saying other countries have or apply something similar to our 'Malaysia Boleh' in order to gear itself to face the competitive world, I suggest we take a good hard look at ourselves first.

For those nations surging way ahead of Malaysia, to say that they have their own dark secrets and that we should not be blinded by their success is a weak argument. We are not being honest with ourselves and are merely consoling ourselves.

Rather than setting our benchmarks against the best, we consoled ourselves that the best out there have their own 'dark secrets' and that we should not be blinded by their success. Based on our subsidy mentality, we should measure ourselves against the likes of Yemen, Zimbabwe, Cambodia, Nigeria etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 30% Bumiputra equity interest lifted for certain industries

The following is an analyst's report on Malaysia's liberalization of the service sector:

The government has lifted the 30% bumiputra equity condition on 27 service sub-sectors with immediate effect, kicking off an on going liberalization of the sector. The areas of liberalization include social services, tourism services, transport services, business services and computer related businesses.

A national Committee for Approval of Investments in the Services Sector has also been established as a focal point to receive and process applications of investments, excluding investments in financial services, air travel, utilities, Economic Development Corridors, Multimedia Super Corridor and Bionexus status companies and distributive trade.

According to the PM, the country is planning to raise the services sector’s contribution to GDP to 60% from 55% in 2008. The services sector accounts for RM102.1b of the country’s exports, RM99.8b of imports, and 55% of the country’s employment. Approved investments in the services sector totaled RM50.1b in 2008. The share of foreign investments was 11% of total investments.

Comment

An important step in the right direction, although the liberalisation move could be a case of ‘too little, too late’ for the stock market in the intermediate term. The country could face slower sustainable GDP growth post the global recession as well as a structural rise in underemployment.

Nevertheless, the liberalization could revive some FDI interests in the Iskandar Development Region and possibly encourage MNCs to further up their stakes in the listed consumer companies. In the past, Nestle SA and F&N Ltd have significant stakes in their respective listed Malaysian subsidiaries, and may even consider privatising the Malaysian listed cos (although Nestle Berhad is unlikely to be privatised as PNB's significant shareholding serves as an important endorsement to its efforts to expand its halal food business).

Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 LastLast