Footwork in receiving High Serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by coachgary, May 15, 2008.

1. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

I would be interested to know forthe the singles game which foot/leg do you as a player or coach move first when receiving a high serve? That is to say what is your first proper step not just a minor adjustment of your feet.

For the last 4-5 years I've been teaching a step towards the rear court with the racket foot first, then either a chasse or rear crossover, or front crossover.

I received a copy of the Badminton England Tactic DVD this week and noticed that most of the players' first step is pretty much a step back with their non racket leg.

On trying it last night in Club it did feel somewhat strange at first for me and some of the older juniors. However, I did find it beneficial because it keeps your eyes and head more straight onto the net facing your opponent during the moving phase.

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

For the true high serve (not a "high flick"), it doesn't matter much what footwork pattern you use. Because you have so much time, any method will be fine.

What matters is the result: the receiver should reach a position slightly behind the shuttle, in a fully side-on stance (not diagonally oriented), and with time to spare.

If the player reaches the ideal hitting position, with time to spare, then you have nothing to improve.

Having said all that, I personally find a relaxed step (cross-over) to be more natural here than any movement involving a chasse. The rhythm of the chasse doesn't really fit the situation (although ultimately it doesn't matter, as long as the result is good).

It's certainly not something I've ever felt was worth teaching a specific footwork pattern for. Sometimes it's useful to recognise what not to coach. ;)

#2 Gollum, May 15, 2008
    Last edited: May 15, 2008
  3. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i agree with gollum here. naturally, a crossover would get you there faster, then you can take small steps to get into the perfect position. if you watch the professional players, you'll see they often walk back, taking the time to look down, check their feet, then hit.

if it's a high flick serve, foot work would be just like getting to a clear.

or, in the words of kiwiplayer, you could do a cartwheel and still receive the serve. so it doesn't really matter.

4. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

I agree also. It would appear though that someone in BE is coaching this.

5. hopsmashpro

hopsmashpro Regular Member

Student
    Well, I generally walk backwards because I found out that when I SPRINT backwards, I have too much time and end up mistiming the shot...lol

So I rear-crossover backwards and unleash the smash XD...

Would jump but too scared to use it :S

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Quite possibly, although it could also be transferred behaviour from other footwork training.

7. Carbonlist

Carbonlist Regular Member

Student
    i wish i can draw a diagram, it'd be easier just to crossover backwards with non-racquet leg and then move your racquet-hand leg towards the back

8. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

for well, when im recieving any type of serve, i have my right foot behind my left foot because i'm right handed. im not sure if this is the proper way but it's comfortable for me. as i can step into attacking a short serve.

as for long serves, i usually shuffle a foot from my inital position (still with right foot behind left foot) and then i hop to either a jump smash or a clear. so there is no crossover. until i do a sissor kick and landing right foot forward after i made my shot.

i guess you generally want the right foot to be behind when you are hitting with the right hand so that you have the momentum. this works for me.