What should we work on?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by chopp3r, May 16, 2008.

1. chopp3r

chopp3r Regular Member

2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

You're one of the more advanced players to have uploaded a video of himself playing. I'd lose to you in a game of singles, but I can still give you some advices..

Your footwork still has room for improvement. Notice how your opponent is scoring quite alot of points from drops and slices. Just watch out for them.. perhaps you could do the four-corner footwork drill by yourself to improve your footwork.

You're a wristy player, but I believe that you can produce more powerful smashes if you do full follow-throughs.

That's about all I can say..

3. nanolover9000

nanolover9000 Regular Member

though im only in 9th grade and have only been playing a year, ive played quite alot, so here goes:
    1. I think you can work on your lunges a bit, you seem to be losing time for that
    2. Do some footwork drills because it will help you get back to the middle,you sometimes dont

4. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I don't think it's just the problem with the lunges there. Sometimes, the shuttle has touched the ground before he reacted to it.. So yeah.. footwork is one of the key things to improve on.

5. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Very fluid footwork. You seem to be weak on returning drop shots. Thats the biggest problem I see.

Edit: Your in blue right?

#5 KazeCloud, May 16, 2008
    Last edited: May 16, 2008
  6. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    you need to work on your footwork, especially the split jump. as far as i can see, you're standing quite upright, muscles aren't tensed and ready to go. you really need to work on getting a split jump in to get to the next shot. particularly when you need to change direction, you are quite slow, not because you're slow in general, but just that first step needs to be quick and sharp.

7. darkyboy

darkyboy Regular Member

you look a bit funny when you are moving try work on footwork also when you are lifting you look a bit funny you're to stiff also when you lift drop at the net either you're not switching to the back hand grip or you're pan handling or you just simply do to big a wrist movement instead of a flick try borrowing some strenght from ur forarm
    Also you're no bend your knees you're standing up straight to much

8. hopsmashpro

hopsmashpro Regular Member

Student
    Some of your shots had really nice wrist power.

But like the others said, footwork!

Mind you, recover as quick as possible coz ur just walking! E.g. at 1:15-1:20....you serve, walk back, he dropped...you're dead.

9. chopp3r

chopp3r Regular Member

thanks for all of your advices
    you're right, footwork is my biggest problem
    i think the split step is the best tip
    it let me react faster
    maybe i post in a few weeks another clip ;)

10. evylgrynn

evylgrynn Regular Member

Definitely work on your footwork. One thing I noticed in particular, when you hit a shot from the back, you stand and watch it, then after your opponent hits his shot, then you move. Try to practice hitting your shot, then move back to center right away. That is one reason you're getting caught on dropshots.
    Another thing, you are very flat footed in your footwork. try to be more on the balls of your feet. the split step is definitely a good thing to work on.

good luck!

11. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    its alright can deffinetly build from there, 1st thing to work on would be footwork and you already know that so thats good. basically make sure your on theballs of your feet but also it looks as if your kinda more or less standing up while your moving you want to make sure that you try to get lower down so that it will be easier to move faster around the court you are tall and i dont mean that you have to get down super low.

another thing it doesnt really look liek your making effective use of your body when hitting a shot, like yes it does work for you can you clear smash etc but make sure that you rusing your torso and rotating through after making contact and pronating your arm. try to take shots at the net higher that will be easier with the footwork that will come in time.

another thing dont be stiff when your playing im not entierly sure from the video but at some points you look really stiff make sure that you relax and you will eb able to also move faster on court and play better shots same thing with using your whole arm and not just trying to wrist all your shots etc.

not trying to say anything bad about you not meaning to in any way just offering some points which i saw when watching the video provided you were the guy in the beginnign closest to the camera. keep playing and yes of course post some videos to update us on how your doing and ahow things are going. Keep playing, have fun and best of luck on your trainign to improve.

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

These players are quite similar. Both have good basic stroke and movement skills.

They both use a split drop, but not every time; and they are not using it to great advantage. They need to get a more explosive initial movement, with a quick change of direction.

Footwork is basically sound, but appears a little lazy. Again, more explosive movements are needed. The blue player should practise his round-the-head footwork to the backhand rear corner, trying to get more distance on the swivel step.

The blue player has a nice half-smash (a "wristy" shot), but fails to make use of body rotation. Even after a high serve, he's hitting with a somewhat square-on stance, and is not using a scissor jump.

The blue player's main shot weakness is drop shots. His drops are quite crude; he doesn't appear to be slicing them effectively. Again, body rotation is useful when possible, because it helps add an element of deception. He tends to use a very short hitting action, which makes it obvious he's going to play a drop shot.

The blue player also does not use drop shots often enough.

Both players are slow moving into the net, and tend to collapse forwards as they lunge. Try to keep your body upright as you lunge, and avoid bending forwards at the waist (see lunge technique). Take the shuttle earlier, and look for opportunities to play tight, spinning net shots.

Smash defence is good, and both players appear to have a sound tactical understanding.

#12 Gollum, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
  13. chopp3r

chopp3r Regular Member

Yes i am the one in blue
    but you can say something about the other guy