[Need Help] Shuttlecock Price vs. Durability

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by frameshot, May 17, 2008.

1. frameshot

frameshot Regular Member

Hi, I am conducting a test for my AP Stats class.

Question: How does the price vary with the durability for a feathered badminton shuttlecock?

-Problem 1: How many hits does it take, on average, for one feather on a birdie to fall off?
    -Problem 2: What is the price, on average, of a specific brand of shuttlecock?

If anyone can help me collect data, I would greatly appreciate it.

Need:

1. Brand
    2. Price (per tube or per shuttlecock)
    3. Number of hits it takes for a (single) feather to fall off (a new birdie)

If this project works out, I will post the results, along with a graph to help everyone back.

Thanks

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    No offense, but neither questions you presented make any sense to me.

1. If you play net shots, I am pretty sure all shuttles can last for quite long. However, if you practice powerful smashes, or slices, then even AS50 might be broken within relatively short period of time.

2. Price various significantly from region to region. The same shuttle might cost US$10 per tube in CHN, can be US$15 or even 20 in western regions. Also, different models within the same brand name can vary. I think AS50 is more than 1.5 times more than AS10.

3. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Unfortunately, there are a number of other variables that need to be taken into account to make this type of evaluation valid. Environmental factors need to be take into account -- warm or cold climate? humid or dry climate? atmospheric pressure (altitude)? Are the shuttles being tested old (or improperly stored) & dry or are they relatively fresh and have been properly humidified?

The level of the players using the shuttles are going to be a huge factor as well. Beginners & other lower level players may tend to use cheaper feather shuttles. These players will often break feathers fairly easily since they tend to mishit shuttles quite a bit more that higher level players. I tend to use cheaper shuttles when playing with lower level players because I expect the shuttles to be hacked-up by multiple framed shots. I'll save the better shuttles for games I play with better players.

Since this is pretty much a world-wide forum, the prices will vary quite a lot from one region to the next as LB mentions above.

Perhaps you can refine your criteria by taking a look at the Sticky in this forum: badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47979

4. frameshot

frameshot Regular Member

oops, i was referring to the number of hits during a game (averaged out). Thanks for the comments, and I will probably test a few brands myself to lower the variability. I forgot to take in all those factors =P.

Thanks anyway

5. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Two games of singles for plastics to show breaks, four games and its really worn out. Not sure of the price, but mines are plastic.

#5 KazeCloud, May 18, 2008
    Last edited: May 18, 2008
  6. jaynjay

jaynjay Regular Member

ENLAN
    from $8 to $13
    very nice fly and durability.
    i just got 100 dozens from the factory directly.

7. beachvball

beachvball New Member

shuttlecocks

I don't want to be the bad guy here,but you are NOT able to collect data base on how many hits before the shuttlecock will break:
    1. Vary from different players.Some hit the birdie on the edge of the racket all the time which will break the stem of the feather easily.Perfect example,a beginner asked me to warm up with him yesterday,i was doing deep clear with him,he had missed hit the shuttlecocks by his racket frame 8 out 10 times,amazingly, my $12 per tube feather birdie last through all those hits with only few feather came out.The stems were all good.
    2. Vary from the quality of the feather they used from one company to another.
    Bottomline, let's just say if you are able to gather the data,what would that benefit us as a player?Are you able to make the shuttlecocks last longer for us?At what price? Don't forget each countries and cities do have different humidity and weather.
    Good Luck to you.Hopefully you are invent something exciting for us!