Glasses

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ZXZ, May 6, 2002.

1. ZXZ

ZXZ Regular Member

Student
    I'm short sighted so I need glasses to see properly I'm only 17 so I cant have surgery on my eyes and contact lenses cost too much. I've just got a pair of Flexons for £200 and they are really light and comfortable but when I'm playing badminton and I go for those really deep and quick lunges my glasses would just slide down the bridge if my nose and I'd need to push them up every time. Has any one got sugestions to help!?

2. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    i got this thing that goes around the glasses behind your ears and keeps it there... i got it from a glasses store... but this is really rare... not many stores carry things like this

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    try prescription sport eye goggles. This will kill 2 birds with one stone. 200$ for some contact is mightly expensive

4. viver

viver Regular Member

I also wear glasses and I use one elastic strap to hold my glasses.

Before these straps were available I had rubber bands (4 to 5) stuck together and tied them to the frame. You can also go to the shop where you purchased the glasses and ask the technician if tightening/bending the glasses' arms possible.

5. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    well... mine's pretty inexpensive... since it's only a few bucks... and u can use the existing glasses that u have :D

6. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Mine sometimes slip off too.. especially when my sweat starts dripping down my nose. Flew off 3 times one game.... I was thinking of contacts... but today I played doubles and did a net drop shot just maybe 2 inches too high and got smashed in the face.. Glasses saved me! :)

7. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    maybe try adjusting the nose piece thingy. pinch it towards or out, and see what way it won't fall off. Or clean it so it would grip properly.
    i wear adidas glasses those really light weight plastic ones. they seem to work fine.

8. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

Bobby Rahael of former Indycar fame used to wear a nose extender piece (the funny thing that a lot of athletes use nowadays to improve air intake) just below his glasses to prevent it from slipping down his nose whilst he stomps on his whoa pedal.

I have also noticed that Luis Moya (co-driver for Carlos Sainz) wear glasses which has special nose and ear piece tape which allows them to fit perfectly to his head, no matter how bumpy the rallycar's travelling. From what I can tell it is a product made by 3M designed to stick to human skin no matter how sweaty you are. I think this can be purchased from chemists and cut into neat pieces so one can wear it on their existing glasses discretely.

Hope this helps

Andrew

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

in term of safety, goggle is still a lot safety than glasses. Also glasses can break when hit. Two examples:

1. i know 1 guy who smashed at his opponent between his eyes and splitted his glasses in half (plastic frame i assumed).

2. another guy who struck his glasses with his racket and shatter one len. Had to go to hospital to check and remove glass from his eye.

If u r gonna wear glasses, i suggest u go for plastic len types.

10. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    ZXZ you should be able to pick up a sports strap to hold your glasses in place from the local opticians. They cost around £5.

11. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    croakies or similar

another alternative are soft neoprene straps - i think they were called croakies. i still have a couple from days long ago when i wore glasse lens instead of lightweight plastic. the neat thing about the croakies are the funky neon colors you can get. the only nasty about them is that they are somewhat bulky.

since i started wearing lightweight plastic lens and smaller sizes lens, i have not had to wear any strap, even with a lot of sweat. the frame i use has the spring hinges, so they add an extra bit of pressure and grip.

or as cooler suggests, the sport goggles are a good alternative.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    back when i was in secondary school. i used 2-3 rubber bands tied together, and that worked pretty well.

that was the really poor days, when instant noodles was considered a "treat".

13. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I wear sports googles and I would never play wearing normal glasses (with glass lens) as they can be broken quite easily by a smash to the face.

The googles that I got only cost me Cdn$135 ($75 for the frame) with plastic prescription lens. The googles takes a bit of getting used to.

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

a google also protect your eyes from feather chips and dust after a hard smash. I know Sigit went through this experience before where he was side lined for a week of so for his eyes to recover.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

safety glasses are very stylist, lightweigh and cheap these days. I carry one with me in the bag. I have used it a few time.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/

it's good to have a few pairs around the house too.