My take on the TC Final 2008

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2008' started by jamesd20, May 18, 2008.

1. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Final Results:

China Beat Korea 3-1

1st Men Singles: Lin Dan Bt Park Sung Hwang 10-21 21-18 21-8

I admit, I missed the first game, but in the second and third games I didn't think Lin was under threat of losing, he could rally quite comfortably with Park, and then up the pace when required. Park didn't seem able to up the pace enough.

1st MD:Lee Yong Dae/Jung Jae Sung bt Cai Yun/Fu Haifeng 25-23 21-16

As soon as the first game was lost, the rubber was over. Cai/Fu are still a very one dimensional pair. When in attack they are comfortable, but in defence they really have no shots to convert defence to attack, they just lift lift lift. Which is no good at this level. Fu had a terrible game, he just wasn't on the ball Cai was making the game tighter, but even so MD is a team game.

LYD/JJS were there usual self, good defence, quick to attack the net and pouncing in the midcourt.

2nd MS:Bao Chunlai bt Lee Hyun Il 28-26 21-11

This was the turning point in the match. The first two rubbers were fairly predictable, and this 2nd MS was key.

Lee played well and looked in control in the first game, and went 14-11 up. Bao was his usual self - Accurate, consistent and finding good angles. Then Bao won 5 points in a row to move 16-14 up and Lee had to up his game. at 20-17 it looked like Bao had done the job, but Lee, altohugh looking a fraction tired worked and worked to get back in and won I tinhk 3 game points of his own. Bao just kept going and kept working Lee around the court, and played some very good counter attacking shots to take an absolute classic game almost to the end.

In the 2nd It was clear LHI was jaded whilst Bao remained fit and focussed. Had Lee Converted some of his game points, he may have been able to squeeze it in two. But he was clearly lacking stamina.

So Bao put one of his bet performances in for CHN in team event again. Following on from his 2004 exploits of Beating Taufik and Jonassen in three games and saving the TC for China. I was sure if LHI had won the 2nd MS he 2nd MD & TC would have gone to Korea.

As for Bao, I thought in 2004 it may be a turning point and he could become mentally tougher and starting winning more tournaments, Bt I just think in the individual events he puts the pressure on himself. In the team games he fights for the country, and I tinhk this relieves him of some pressure and enables him to play better. He is a real TC hero for China.

2nd MD: Xie Zhong Bo/Guo Zhendong bt Lee Jae Jin/Hwang Ji Mang 21-12 19-21 21-12

I think KOR were deflated and shell shocked from the intensity of the 2nd MS and were really not at the races in the first game. CHN were merciless however, and defended tremendously and were strong in attack. They deservedly won and saved Chen Yu from a nervous 3rd MS.

Overall I think CHN deserved to win, although MAS must be kicking themselves again, since LCW served up the shock to take LD, then KKK/TBH failed to take the MD which could have taken them to the Final.

For KOR they did their best, and but for a few points here and there, they could have definitely taken the cup.

For INA and DEN, they have some work to do to compete with the above 3.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Wow...^^

..didn't realize Chen Yu would play the last match (i guess CJ's injury is quite concerning that LYB decided not to risk it??). Boy, that last MS match could be pivotal, if it turned out to be a 2-2 affair. Thank goodness CHN's MD2 was able to clinch the tie and title.:cool:
    Btw, gotta see the BCL vs. LHI match.:cool:

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I watched (on youtube)..

..the MS2 and MD1 matches and boy, did they turn out as advertised.:cool: The 1st game, in both matches, turned out to be a thriller. As for the MS1, LD came out to set the tempo in the 2nd game and turned the whole match around.

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Didn't I tell ya our big boy Xie played the match of his life in MD2. Just dominant! ;)

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Hmm..^^

..LYB must've given both of them a big lecture after the Semis round lost...:cool:

6. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

LCW was just superb in this tournament -- it is unfortunate, he could not go on to win the TC. He will win the Olympics if he carries on like this. :)

KKK-TBH are still short of their best, losing just to LYD-SJJ (koreans). To blame them would be easy. I like to think it may be a blessing in disguise. The pain of losing out will spur them to train harder. If so, the other gold I predict for Malaysia will come from them. There is time still to get ready for the Olympics, they will peak in time.

Fairuzizuan-Zakry were a top act this time round. Never liked their play before this but hope to see them now moving ahead with their power play. If Fairuzizuan can maintain his accurate smashing, it would win them many tournaments next time. They are ready to take over from the 'uncles'.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i woke up 5am to catch the first match and stayed for the entire final. When LD lost the first set, it was disturbing for me:D but i know LD has enough arsenal to change tactic. Every chinese coach offered advices, even tang fu ! The MD1 match was excuting too. fhf/cy lost was good in a sense that they know they needed more preparartion before the OG. The MS2 match was another great match. BCL was focused and not overly celebrative. The MD2 match was a surprise as zhongbo/GZD showed lots of determination and creativity. It changed my impression of them as oxen pair.

#7 cooler, May 19, 2008
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
  8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Basically, you've been referring them as a pair of cows MOOOOOOO!. :D:D:D

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i hope not, cows are female:p and stay home while oxen plows field:p

10. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

good try by the koreans, if they had won MD2, it would have been a nerve wrecking finish.

congrats to CHN, they didn't play their best, but second gear was good enough to beat everyone else in the end.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    TC 08 is reminds me about TC 04. Both finals are in a similar fashion.

1. LD fights his way to get the 1st match, therefore, set the tone.

2. Fu/Cai fought, but lost. However, no one can again say CHN MD is a surely given.

3. BCL plays as the god in both time. Regardless his reputation throughout his career, he's definitely the hero from both time. Playing his way out, and got the final smile in a nail bitter.

4. The suppose to be "free falling" CHN MD2 wrapped the match and raise the TC for the team. Bao's match really fired up the team, and they have a reliable MS3 (CY's chance might not be as great as Xia in 2004, but who else have a top 10 candidate for MS3?) who mostly will win anyway. On the other side, everyone knows once it drags to MS3, it's pretty much the time to engrave CHN on the cup. Therefore, opponent's MD2 facing a "lose now or lose later" situation, and pretty much the game is over before it starts.

12. pralinescream

pralinescream Regular Member

- thruout this tournament, CHN played in 1st gear up to 2nd gear only. never was their intention to win it. TC already won many times b4 and this year their ultimate dream is Beijing Olympics.
    - lin dan, bao chunlai, cai yun/fu haifeng are undergoing training schedule designed to peak in ultimate target.
    - the gameplan was that they purposely din want any of their opponents to study their best game and got chance to counter them during Aug;
    - unfortunately, the Szechuan tragedy compelled the Chinese team to win it finally and bring some cheer to the grieving nation.

13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    True true. Although Bao is classed as a nealry man in Open Tournaments, he surely has always performed when Neccessary in TC. In Many Ways 2nd MS is the most pressure, since altough MS1, MD1 are often 50/50 because the top players in the top nations are pretty even, and the MS3, is normally more predictable, then the MS2 is the hingeing tie.

14. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

interesting! wonder where did you got your info from?

15. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction

I think they made it up.....

No country can "accidently" win the thomas cup......I assume pralinescream is inferring that China Team Failed by winning.

I don't see how Chinese players Losing (Eg. Lin, Cai/Fu etc..) will help them to conceal their skills. I am pretty sure opponenets have have a pretty good chance to see how they play like by now, they are not new kids on the block.

Moreso by losing, the have helped their opponents by giving them confidence that they can beat them, so they will feel less pressure in later tournaments.

16. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    I think splitting up KKK/TBH seems inevitable as these two doesn't seem like really want to play together, I am sure Rexy has his hand full about who to send for the Olympic. To me, KKK/TBH combo is much more lethal than any pair in Malaysia if their mind set is right which somehow becomes a rare occurance for whatever reason, I hope it won't turn out like another Cheah Soon Kit and Yap Kim Hock nasty relationship.
    My guess is Rexy will try to put KKK/CTF to try out after Olympic but he most probably will see the same problem with this combo.

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

I seriously doubt it.

To CHN players, the nation is always more important than individual (whether we like it or whether themsevles like it). There's no more important team honor than team events as SC, TC and UC. I doubt the players want to hold back, and only play 80% and let the opponents walk away with the cup. :rolleyes:

18. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Conspiracy theory is thriving... :D We all see the frustration on Lin and FHF/CY's face, so either they are great actors, or they indeed wanted to win.

I agree with the 2nd point (I've made it bold), which is quite reasonable. But the same can be said for players from other countries.

te=pralinescream;879851]- thruout this tournament, CHN played in 1st gear up to 2nd gear only. never was their intention to win it. TC already won many times b4 and this year their ultimate dream is Beijing Olympics.
    - lin dan, bao chunlai, cai yun/fu haifeng are undergoing training schedule designed to peak in ultimate target.
    - the gameplan was that they purposely din want any of their opponents to study their best game and got chance to counter them during Aug;
    - unfortunately, the Szechuan tragedy compelled the Chinese team to win it finally and bring some cheer to the grieving nation.[/quote]

#18 ye333, May 19, 2008
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
  19. pralinescream

pralinescream Regular Member

as i've mentioned, and i'll like to stress again
    /top target is Beijing Olympics - as many gold as possible.
    /last time in tokyo after they give full force in Thomas Cup, other countries studied their strengths and weaknesses; so China din do well in Athens at all.

/*li yongbo has learnt his lesson well. he'll not let history repeat. thomas cup not so important (once in 2 years) like Olympic is one in 4 years. Furthermore Thomas Cup doesn't count in Overall Medals Tally.
    China must climb highest possible in Beijing.

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If like that, LYB should never send LD to nearly as many tournament at all. He should "hide" him, and only give him enough pt to qualify for OG. Then, LD can "hide everything" and "draw least attention", and raise the gold medal...

All the CHN players (men and women) are well studied by the opponents. Whether they play for real in TC/UC, or attend it at all, the opponents going to pay enough attention to them. I seriously doubt that LCW, TH, PSH and PG will really take LD or BCL very lightly, just even if CHN did not win TC.

Everyone has a good day and bad day. Whether it's OG, or TC or SC or another open tourny, a player can win or lose. If you want to study your opponent, you need to study him/her for a long enough period. I really wonder how you can believe 1 tournament can make you "fully understand" you opponent, and within such a short period of time, you have an effective way to counter. :rolleyes: