Higher tension for more power?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Xuser, May 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Hello. I'm on a debate here with a friend who claims that with higher tension, you get more power and less control. Lower tension, you get more control and less power.

I think otherwise. Can someone here help out? :confused:

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    it's individual dependent but here is what a pro (p. gade) said:

Q: You have one of the hardest string tensions in the sport. What are the benefits?
    A: My precision and power increases. I feel comfortable with high tensions.

3. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Here's my humble opinion:

With high tension, you get good control which brings about precision. That means I can control or hit the bird to where I want it to go more accurately. Power? I think you can generate power as long as you have a strong arm and good timing on the swing, but I'm sure you can generate more power with lower tension string. With lower tension, I don't mean 15lbs but something more in the range of 18-20lbs.

4. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    higher tension actually increases the power... when you contact the bird, if it's a lower tension, what happens is the strings give more way and don't provide a solid feel compared to one of a higher tension.. (kinda hard to explain).... higher tensions though result in more broken strings...

5. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Don't you think with lower tension, there is this "tramboline" or "bounce" effect that increases power? With higher tension, there is less "bounce", therefore, producing a more accurate shot. So far, I've experimented with this and it seems to be true. I'm able to produce more accurate shots with higher tension stringing but less power. That means I have to use more physical strength to have a harder smash or clear.

One recent example would be my MP100. When it was new, the string was at 24lbs. Sure it produces pretty good power. Now that the string has lost some it's tension (about 20lbs now I guess), I'm able to produce really loud pop and fast smashes. However, I find that my shots are not as accurate.

6. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    I know this topic has been discussed a number of times before, but I still don't have a complete picture up to this moment. I would really like to see someone to come up with a more throughout explanation of this topic.

Based on my personal experience, I found more power with higher string tension until it goes up to 25 lbs (exact figure vary with different string). In fact, I think string tension at 22 lbs or below is too low, i.e. my smashes will become too weak with this level of string tension.

I'm not good in physics even though I had studied it in high school, but I do think there should have at least 2 forces in the equation which compensate each other.

Tramboline effect is definitely existed - e.g. it is very obvious in "bounce bed". On the other hand, imagine if you drop a ball from very high to the ground, the ball will likely be bounced higher if it hits a solid floor in compare with hitting a soft ground (like those soft floor for children's playground). These two real life examples seem to be contradicted with each other.

In fact, another thing which bother me is the relationship of stiffness and power.

For control, I think people define this term subjectively - some people may think that harder string bounce more so that it is more difficult to control the shuttle. On the other hand, pros may think that harder string allows them to control the shuttle with higher precision because they get use to it. When we say "better control", it really means different thing for different people in most cases.

7. Will

Will Regular Member

Hobo
    I dont know if this helps but 23 lbs I hit harder then I do with 20 pounds.

8. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    This has been discussed before in various threads and I don't think you will see an agreement.

One thing to consider is what is considered "high tension". Are we talking about anything below 24lbs to be low tension and anything above that to be high tension?

The other factor involved is the thickness of the string. Steve Crandall of Ashaway has written a number of articles on string and the effects of different tensions.

In summary, Steve Crandall provide the following table:

thin string/low tension = higher power, lower control, medium durability

thin string/high tension = medium power, medium control, low durability

thick string/low tension = medium power, medium control, high durability

thick string/high tension = lower power, higher control, medium durability

9. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    In any case, it will be hard to find anyone that argues that lower tension gives more control, so I guess you can say your friend is wrong.

10. Chu Pa

Chu Pa Regular Member

Is...

Is a thin string considered 0.68mm and lower? I usually use 0.68mm strings. When the racquet has been just strung, control is very good. Smashes are slightly not as powerful but very precise. Sweetspot is definitely smaller.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    from gladius post before, we must differentiate between control and feel of a shuttle. I think control has different meaning to different people

12. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
  13. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    I agree with Chu Pa and the table provided by Winex West Canada of Steve Crandall seems very reasonable to me.

14. cHiCkEnNuGgEtS

cHiCkEnNuGgEtS Regular Member

Student-U of T
    Theoretically there should be no difference in work delivered to the bird. Basically, the work is directly related to the distance the strings deflect (or 'bounce' as it was referred to earlier in this thread) and the tension of the strings. As you know, assuming elastic stretching of the strings (plastic stretching would mean your strings become permanently elongated), the distance the strings will deflect will be directly related to the tension of the strings as well. In effect, and difference in tension will cancel itself out.

Regarding control, there is theoretical difference either. Realistically, there is an apparent difference. When you have loose strings, the direction of the raquet swing will manifest itself stronger in that particular direction (because of the distance that the strings have to rebound, the bird is projected in that direction at a steeper angle). With higher tensions, the bird is not propelled at as steep an angle because the deflection of the strings will not be as great. Therefore there is an appearance of greater control. What is really happening, is that higher tensions are more forgiving, and you have to really angle your raquet to change the direction of the birds.

Regarding realistic work, high tensions (basically greater forces of the string against each other and against the frame) mean that the friction will increase. This transforms much more power into heat through friction, which is also the reason why (on average) higher tensions will break more often.

So what should be expected (or at least I do) is that higher tensions will decrease power after a certain point. It's quite obvious that ultra low tensions can be deflected so easily that the rate of work returned by the raquet (power) is much too low to be useful. Control becomes much more forgiving (and in effect 'better') at higher tensions.

That's what I think anyways....

-Curtis

15. prairieowl

prairieowl New Member

teacher
    It is interesting to see people talking about tensions above and below 24 lbs. If I am not mistaken very few racquets are rated above 22-23 lbs as the recommended tension. To me 24 lbs is way over the top. For me above 21 is high tension. Below 18 is low tension. Between is typical. At the Pan American games I saw guys stringing above 25 lbs but they were breaking racquets left right and center. Mind you they had 10 more in their bag exactly the same so it really was not an issue for them.

The discussion about the thickenss of the string had some good points. I have never thought about string thickness but I am sure it plays a factor in this discussion.

I think another factor that needs to be considered is how hard you swing. For someone very hard the tension of the racquet will have a different effect than someone like me that has more average racquet speed. I think what comes into play is how much the strings flex when you stike the bird or the 'trampoline effect' that is mentioned in the discussion groups. I think a tension of 19 or 20 for me will flex about the same as a tension of 22/23 for the person that generates more racquet speed. So different tensions will feel the same for the harder swinger and me. When my racquet is at 19 or 20 I have more 'pop' in my smash then when it is is at 16- 17. As for control I am not really sure. I know it feels like the bird stays on my racquet longer when it is around 17/18 lbs but because I can't get the pop at that tension it is hard to tell. For me, when my racquet is 20+ I have less touch around the net than when it is 17-18 lbs. I find the higher tensions more (bouncy) and I am more likely to a poor shot when I am trying a tight net shot. Because of this I say higher tension gives me less control and more power.

It would be interesting to know what top ranked players in the world use. If the Pan Am players are any indication they string at what I consider to be very high tension. I think it is safe to assume that they find that best for them. But again their racquet speeds are way above the typical player so the same rules may not apply.

BTW, I am the friend that Xuser mentioned to start this discussion. :)

16. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I think i can safely say that i'm 1 of those who likes having my rackets strung at higher tensions.

I string all my rackets at 24x26lbs. The reason for me to string it at this tension is different. I like my tension high, i feel that i can get just the same amount of power out of 26lbs as i can with my previous 22lbs.

Also, we all know that the tension will drop after being strung at the initial tension. So i string it at 26lbs, play with it and it will drop to around 24lbs. It will stick around there. This is my reason for playing with this tension.

But honestly speaking i can say that at a lower tension, you can get more power, well at least it feels that way.

17. prairieowl

prairieowl New Member

teacher
    To Byro-Nenium (and anyone else)
    That is interesting that you string that tight. Do have rouble with racquets breaking? How about strings? What kind of racquet and string do you use? Do feel that when it is that tight that there is more stress on your elbow because the racquet translates more of the shock of hitting to you arm than absorbing the shock? Would you consider yourself to have a very hard smash or an average smash? I have found that racquets sttrung that tight feel like a board when I hit it. But it has been at least a half dozen years since I got my racquet stung at 21+ so posibly the newer designs might make a difference. Interesting the local fellow that sells and repairs racquets was saying that when you buy a racquet off the self and it is already strung that typically they are strung at 26+ and with poor quality string. I wonder if the reason for that would be the same as yours. After sitting on the self and a few weeks of play the tension would drop of to the low 20's and be where it should be. I will have to give it a try

18. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Yes, I found that racquet strung at 26lbs or higher or even 24lbs or higher felt like board. That's the reason why there is no "bounce" effect, thus less power from smashes. What this means is that you will have to use more physical strength to generate more power whereas with lower tension (like 20-21lbs) you don't have to use that much strength to generate the same power smashes.

Since it is like "board", there is less chance of the bird to redirect itself somewhere else, thus you can perform more accurate shots. That is what I meant better control. You can control where your bird goes. More precision.

PriaireOwl: Maybe your meaning of control and mine are different? ;-) Next year when our badminton season begins, I will have two similar racquets strung at different tensions (20lbs and 26lbs). You should try and get hold of a radar detector see how fast the birds go :cool:

19. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    The racket being able to hold the tension has never been much of a problem for me, because all the rackets i use, i chose because of their ability to hold high tensions. My rackets include the MP100, MP77 and Cab20 Original, all strung at 26lbs. Other rackets that i've had strung at this tension include 2 Finnex rackets, Ti-10, Ti-8 and Slim-10.

I use the BG-66. But note that the BG-66 being a thinner string feels even tighter than say the BG-65 or BG-85 or BG-80 which are all slightly thicker so its all really personal preference what tension you want to string your racket at.

Over a period of time, i have used this tension on all my rackets and i have gotten used to it. I don't realise any extra "shock" in my elbow after hitting the shuttle. I guess after all the time using this tension my elbow has gotten tougher..... :p

20. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I shall try my best to explain the phenomena! First and foremost we have to understand the level of play we are in and our body structure and constitution.

It is like a learning curve and there is a one at every level u play. U start as a beginner and then when u jump up one level then there is a different set of things that u will do at that level whihc will take sometime. so as u keep improving so will ur difference in time u spend at each stage.

When plp start as beginners they are advised to play at 17-19 or 20. This is just to ensure that u dont get injured by lack of tech. Once u pick up the very basics and u start improving then u might feel that the string or the racket or the tension might be altered to bring better results.When u come to this stage u should know at what tension u perform best. if u increase it ur smashes might nopt be the same. they could increase in power or they could fall. So if it falls then it means that u are not yet totally geared enough to play well at that level. u might have to work on ur skills and also Ur body condition. Once u achieve this u move on and u will find that Ur control has improved and u will smash as hard as ever.

The good thing abt High tension is that u will maintain a good standard of control with the same kind of effort.Obviuosly control comes with prac but still ur control will not be much affected like ur smashing power.

So u go on to the next stage of 22-24 Lbs and then when u are good at that level u keep improving. This is a long drawn process and the pinnacle is like 32lbs at which the professionals play.

To reach such tensions will require hard work dedication and also great body condition.Sampras has shown that high tensions can produce great power if ur body condition is gr8 and control too buy winning the Wimbeldon so many times.

Mcnroe was the opposite. He was a magician. he used to string at such low tensions that the Tennis ball which is heavy will fly away but he had the gift to control it.

I think when it comes to stringing tension i would love to draw a graph but then i dunno how to.

I shall try to explain

The lower tensioon at intial stages will bring more pawer than control. But as it becomes tighter control will come to the fore and power will go down. But as body condition improves as tension goes higher and higher U will retain the same kind of power and great control.

It is like The increase in power and then a dip at 22-24 and then a increase again till u reach 32.

I hope i made sense!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.