Dropped a bed frame on my toe

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kikks9, May 20, 2008.

1. kikks9

kikks9 Regular Member

**Warning** not for the faint hearted**

On the 10/05, I dropped a bed frame (steel metal bar) on my toe while i was preparing to shift houses. My big toe nail has turned black (80%) and I did not poke to let the blood out. Over three days, the blood started spreading around under my toe nail. The pain was excruciating and I couldn't take it anymore so i decided to poke it with a needle. I don't think I need to elaborate what happened afterwards but it relieved the pain and I was able to walk properly.

My dilemma is this, my backside is itchy and I want to play badminton!! So far the bleeding has stopped for quite a few days but it started bleeding a little bit today. My question would be, what would happen if I played a game of badminton tomorrow. I guess it would bleed more and I would need to bandage it more but will there be any side effects? Will the toe nail just drop out and subsequently destroy my badminton shoe. I don't want to frighten my opponents and partner.

I am seriously itching to have a game of badminton !! grrrrr its been 2.5 weeks and I am putting on weight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

my advice, go see a doctor.
    and i think you shouldn't start playing again until it has completely healed, it may not seem so now, but in the long run it's the best thing to do.
    and you know it!

3. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    the agony will start as the nail came off.............:p

4. kikks9

kikks9 Regular Member

haihhhhh .... baddy fever... can't cure till i enter the courts... what can you do ...what can you do....

if the whole toe nail was black then i would consider pulling the nail off but only 80% is black and some part of the nail is still normal color. i think the whole toe nail will drop off as a new one is growing underneath.

This leads me to admire the human body and how it can recover from the damage I put it through.

watching the thomas cup does not help at all...itch itch itch itch.

5. lwiew

lwiew Regular Member

Student
    I had my finger/fingernail slammed in the door once when I was in year 4. It hurt a lot and the nail turned black and after a while I just pulled the fingernail completely out. The skin underneath hardens if I remember correctly, and then your new nail starts to grow over it again, so you don't need to worry about having lost your nail forever.

But, having said that, I totally don't know what happens to it if its on your foot. Since you're always putting pressure on your toes, especially in badminton, maybe if you play, you might put too much pressure and make blood come out, which I don't think is good for healing, so maybe its not so good an idea?

But yeah, maybe you should ask your doctor...[​IMG]

6. UrashimaKun

UrashimaKun Regular Member

I also had my toe nail turning black when someone slammed a hockey stick
    into my feet.It hurts as hell that I can't walk straight and I had to go see a
    doctor.What they did was pilled off your nail live in your face.It hurt as hell
    but after a few day,it's all gud and the nail will regenerate in a month or two.

7. slvrdrgn123

slvrdrgn123 Regular Member

Improving what little skills I have
  8. kikks9

kikks9 Regular Member

ooo watched the second video. mine is a little different, only 80-90% of the toe nail is black. i dont think i can rip it off now.

grrrr

9. Khawai

Khawai Regular Member

i suggest you to keep scratching and rest that toe of yours till there is no pain. :)

10. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

If the toenail feels like it is still somewhat solidly attached , then just leave the silly thing alone. New nail will grow behind and below the avulsed bit. Eventually this will push the old nail out. Meanwhile the old nail is at least protecting the tender stuff below. If you yank it off, you're just going to have to use bandages to protect it instead.

You could certainly get your doc's opinion on your particular case, though.

P.S. For those wishing to "stick a pin" in a subungual hematoma, I suggest that you use a paper clip instead. Partially unwind it, clean it with alcohol, heat it with a match or lighter and quickly (before it cools) push it in. The dull tip is less likely to damage the underlying tissues compared to a pin. Also you should bend the tip into an "L" shape so that it can't go in too far.

11. kikks9

kikks9 Regular Member

i should have used the word prick. :)

i am leaving it alone and just taking it easy, this line should change when it comes to wed and friday next week ekekke its baddy days !!

12. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Good luck!

"A man of pleasure is a man of pains."
    -Edward Young

13. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    Next time... when you clot your blood under your nails, get hold of any of the medicated oil (TCM Oil), rub your nail and areas surrounding it continously until the blood dispersed (normally one to two hours). You nail will recover by the second day and you can even play badminton on the second day...

Thanks.